Hello everyone! I am Pandora! I am new to the site and this will be my first contribution to the site. This just something I am putting up right now to show what the format for this project is going to be. Also I am going to go over some details with this post and hopefully some of you will want to read the finished product. I will say that all of these will be LOOOOONG there is A LOT to talk about, these are not simple reviews, they are retrospectives and as such will go into a lot more detail then a normal review.

This is going to be a Digimon and Pokemon retrospective. I will be taking a look back at them. To examining how they have stood up to time, there strengths and weaknesses and then comparing them to each other. This is not meant to be a “which is better” and I do not personally prefer one over the other. This is simply meant to be a friendly companion to see where there strengths lie and to show that both have their merits and to show their merits in a better light by giving them background.

The other thing I want to get out of the way is that this is Anime only. I will not be comparing the games. With the one exception of the first Digimon World on the PlayStation most of the Digimon games are far simpler then there Pokemon counterparts. It’s sad but there is not much debate on this one. I personally would prefer playing Digimon World then Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, Diamond or Pearl but Red to Crystal and Black and White are better than DW by a long shot. I love debates so if you disagree then send me a PM.

The other thing is I will be using English Dub – ONLY -. This is my retrospective and as I never grew up with the Japanese dub’s of either show, I will only be talking about how the English has aged. I will point out a few of the edits that are very jarring and are noticeable without ever watching the Japanese version. Not too many of these but the really annoying ones.

Lastly I just want to say, I DO NOT CARE WHICH CAME FIRST. I know Digimon began production before Pokemon and Pokemon was released first. However both have backstory to them. The maker of Pokemon collected bugs as a child and based Pokemon around this. Digimon began as an attempt to make Tamagotchi’s for boys. Neither of these have anything to do with each other, neither is a copy of the other. If you want a real rip-off go look at the game Robopon. (A game I also love.)

The format for the retrospectives will go a little like this –
Pokemon Review of Indigo League (Independent) followed by a Review of Digimon Adventures, I will compare and contrast them in the review of Digimon Adventures. After that I will Review Orange Islands and talk about how it grew and changed Pokemon in relation to Digimon, Then Digimon 02 and then I will continue going back and forth between the two anime looking at each season. When I finish Digimon Adventures, 02, Indigo League and Orange Islands I will do one post that does a full pull together of the first two seasons of each. Then I will repeat with Johto / Digimon Tamers. Do a full pull together and repeat.
I know that sounds confusing but it will make more sense as I go along.

The actually format for the reviews will be –
Intro – I will start with this due to the fact that the shows start with this I will talk about the animation, music and how well the song introduces the show to us.
Song/Music – I will always have this second because the right music can make or break a show. An awesome fight scene with no music is boring no matter how badass of a fight it is. Also a lot of fights just seem silly with no volume. Music also sets the mood and helps build suspense and comedy so this comes second.
Budget – Yes this is important. Early seasons of Digimon had no budget to speak of and still did well I will talk about how the amount of budget the show had changed the show, what it was trying to do and it’s impact.
Plot – This will basically be a plot summary going over important events and talking about them in full. Keeping an eye out for themes, tidbits of information and similar. Spoilers!
Characters – This is going to be the longest part of the Digimon reviews and rightfully so. Not only are there a lot of characters in Digimon there is a lot to them. So expect this to be broken up into multiple parts often.
Villains – All heroes need enemies and wimpy villains make heroes look wimpy, badass villains make for badass heroes. Villains we love to hate make for intense scenes and showdowns.
Conclusion – Wrapping it all up! This will begin with a “the series in one word” and build on there, a lot of the comparisons will be put here and as such will not be short.

This is just a rough guild to what I will be going over. There is a good chance some of this will be altered before I release the first part to the Digimon.
The first part to this will be out July 9th I hope to see you then! Leave questions and comments because honestly I would love to see them!