AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help translating a sentence..

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2011 04:39 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Unhappy Need help translating a sentence..

みんな今日は! Haven't been on this forum for so long.

Basically I'm speaking to one of my penpals about the earthquake/tsunami situation in Japan. Normally I have no trouble understanding her but it seems that this serious conversation has led her to make more complicated messages and I really don't get what this means. This was in response to me telling her I'd given some money to the Red Cross tsunami appeal:

私は、地震で家や住む場所など着るものなど
    なくなった多くの人達に少しでも力になりたいため海外のお友達にも
    寄付をお願いしました

My attempt:
    I hoped that my foreign friends would donate (海外のお友達にも
    寄付をお願いしました), even if just a little (少しでも), to help the many people who have lost their houses, dwellings, etc. in the earthquake (地震で家や住む場所など着るものなど
    なくなった多くの人達).

I think that's the general meaning of the sentence, but I'm a bit confused about the meaning of 着るもの. Things that people wear? Clothes? Seems odd to mention clothes rather than any other type of possessions people may have lost. Perhaps it's the wrong kanji? Or perhaps I'm missing something really obvious.

The other bit that confused me is 力になりたいため. I thought it might be something to do with lots of small donations making a big difference (or becoming powerful? 力になる?), but likewise I thought the -たい verb ending could only be used for first or second person (e.g. I or you want to... become powerful?). And ため... 'in order that I or you want to become powerful'? Obviously that doesn't really make any sense, so I must be reading it wrong somehow.

Thanks for any help

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Default Re: Need help translating a sentence..

地震で家や住む場所など着るものなどなくなった多くの人達に
    to the many people who have lost their homes, dwellings, and clothes (things to wear)

私は......少しでも力になりたいため
    since I want to be of help to them, even just a little

海外のお友達にも寄付をお願いしました
    I asked for donations also from my friends overseas

着るもの is indeed the clothes the people up there need right now. It's really really cold, so keeping them warm is top priority.

力になる is a set phrase meaning "to be of help"...

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa has a reputation beyond repute Anyaaa's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-26-2011 04:39 AM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

ありがとう!質問がもう一つあるんだけど。
    Do you know why she used 'なりたいため' instead of just なりたい? I have never seen the ため used with anything other than the infinitive (e.g. なる). 'In order that I want to...'? I noticed that you used 'since' in your translation though... does it take on that meaning for this phrase, instead of the normal 'in order to'?

Roarrrrrrrrrrr!
    AnimeLyrics Admin
    animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay has a reputation beyond repute animeyay's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Be Mine 143 - Snorlax Cookie
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-29-2016 11:05 PM
    Threads
    AL Lyrics

Sure. ため doesn't always mean "for...'s sake"; it can also mean "because" (= から or ので).

5. 04-13-2011 11:06 PM
    This post has been down-ranked. Click "View Post" to view it.

6. 05-25-2011 08:01 AM
    This post has been down-ranked. Click "View Post" to view it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information