AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: God vs Science

Senior Member Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra's Avatar
    Gil
    Woot
    Gifts Kawaii Ice Cream Cone Apple Systems NES Controller
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2011 10:57 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: God vs Science

Quote Originally Posted by Kusuke View Post
    It's not that there is some ultimate thing we can do that we can only do if we knew why the universe behaves the way it does. It is just that we cannot completely understand the universe without knowing WHY it behaves the way it does, as opposed to just how. Science is the pursuit of knowledge, so how can we ignore such understanding?
    So then, am I to understand that you simply wish to know the "why" just so that you can know? There's certainly nothing wrong with the pursuit of knowledge; however, wouldn't you say that having too much knowledge can be an exceptionally dangerous thing, exceedingly more so when it comes to understand the "why" that makes everything the way that it is?

For example, wouldn't understanding the "why" be more or less equivalent to understanding the 'God' factor? Such knowledge would surely not come without consequences. In this respect, do you really believe the world is ready for the burden of such a thing?

My thanks to Xey Oiz for the awesome new set.

"Screw being normal and be awesome instead!"

Senior Member Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Dice D8
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-08-2013 11:26 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: someone1489

Quote Originally Posted by Shinn Kamiyra View Post
    So then, am I to understand that you simply wish to know the "why" just so that you can know? There's certainly nothing wrong with the pursuit of knowledge; however, wouldn't you say that having too much knowledge can be an exceptionally dangerous thing, exceedingly more so when it comes to understand the "why" that makes everything the way that it is?

For example, wouldn't understanding the "why" be more or less equivalent to understanding the 'God' factor? Such knowledge would surely not come without consequences. In this respect, do you really believe the world is ready for the burden of such a thing?
    No, that's not the only reason. I am saying that we are pursuing knowledge, but no one has any idea what the implications of knowing such a thing will be. We don't know if understanding why the universe works will be of any use to us at all, but we will never know if we never try to find it. There's a lot of risk, sure... But I can guarantee one thing, even if I were to say you were right, physicists around the world won't stop until they either understand the universe or prove that such a task is impossible.

And, this 'God factor' will only exist if god is intricately entangled in the universe. Understanding how the universe works may not provide any insight into how god would work if he existed. There is no guarantee that the two are one in the same.

When faced with an existence so great, one becomes blind to everything and experiences only fear...

人は平等ではない。不平等は悪ではない。平等は悪だ。そう、人は差別されるためにある。だからこそ人は争い 、競い合い、そこに進歩が生まれる。 

Senior Member Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra has a reputation beyond repute Shinn Kamiyra's Avatar
    Gil
    Woot
    Gifts Kawaii Ice Cream Cone Apple Systems NES Controller
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-24-2011 10:57 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kusuke View Post
    No, that's not the only reason. I am saying that we are pursuing knowledge, but no one has any idea what the implications of knowing such a thing will be. We don't know if understanding why the universe works will be of any use to us at all, but we will never know if we never try to find it. There's a lot of risk, sure... But I can guarantee one thing, even if I were to say you were right, physicists around the world won't stop until they either understand the universe or prove that such a task is impossible.
    Alright, but if the world ends up going to hell in a hand basket just 'cause you guys didn't know when to stop pushing it; in the timeless words of Ricky Ricardo:

Last edited by Shinn Kamiyra; 02-11-2011 at 10:21 AM.

My thanks to Xey Oiz for the awesome new set.

"Screw being normal and be awesome instead!"

Junior Member SirDan is on a distinguished road SirDan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-14-2011 08:55 PM
    Threads

If there was a god, you would of used a different text colour for your post.

Senior Member Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke has a reputation beyond repute Kusuke's Avatar
    Gil
    Cynical
    Gifts Dice D8
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-08-2013 11:26 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: someone1489

Quote Originally Posted by SirDan View Post
    If there was a god, you would of used a different text colour for your post.
    If there weren't a god, you would have used a different text colour for your post.

When faced with an existence so great, one becomes blind to everything and experiences only fear...

人は平等ではない。不平等は悪ではない。平等は悪だ。そう、人は差別されるためにある。だからこそ人は争い 、競い合い、そこに進歩が生まれる。 

Closed Thread

Thread Information