AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anime Sequels that were better than the originals

Member RZ. is on a distinguished road RZ.'s Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-27-2021 07:50 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LickleGrimes

Default Anime Sequels that were better than the originals

Anybody have any recommendations for anime where the second/later seasons were better than the original?

I always thought that Full Metal Panic got progressively better as the seasons went on. I felt the same about AOT's second season, though I actually didn't think S3 was as good (I havent seen 4 yet). Oh, and Black Clover gets a lot better after like episode 50.
    I have an Anilist now:

https://anilist.co/user/TheRealRZ/

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2024 08:08 PM
    Threads

Default Re: Anime Sequels that were better than the originals

So you want second, third, etc. seasons and not sequels? A sequel would be an entirely different series continued from the original.

Long series do tend to get repetitive after the idea well runs dry. That does not seem to be a problem with Black Clover, at least not from what I have seen so far.

DurararaX2!! is the sequel to Durarara!! I would not say it is better than the original, but it is just as good. The new characters keep it fresh.

Jarry Park, Montreal

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    So you want second, third, etc. seasons and not sequels? A sequel would be an entirely different series continued from the original.

Ah yes, that's what I meant lol. Anything that succeeded an original anime series/movie that was a continuation of the original story/universe. Up to you if you want to include things like the NGE rebuilds (I wouldn't, but some people think that universe is a continuation of the original series).
    I have an Anilist now:

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Then how about Puella Magi Madoka Magic: Rebellion. It's the third movie based on the series. The first two movies are just a rehash of the series, but Rebellion is a continuation. Despite the light opening, it is as dark as the series. Maybe even darker.

Magical girls on acid. This is not your little sister's magical girl anime.

Jarry Park, Montreal

Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PictureGuy View Post
    Then how about Puella Magi Madoka Magic: Rebellion. It's the third movie based on the series. The first two movies are just a rehash of the series, but Rebellion is a continuation. Despite the light opening, it is as dark as the series. Maybe even darker.

Magical girls on acid. This is not your little sister's magical girl anime.

I watched the original series but couldn't get into it enough to continue past that. The artwork has always stuck in my mind though, especially inside the labrynths.
    I have an Anilist now:

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by RZ. View Post
    I watched the original series but couldn't get into it enough to continue past that. The artwork has always stuck in my mind though, especially inside the labrynths.
    That's why I call it magical girls on acid.

Jarry Park, Montreal

Senior Member Tsundere Magus will become famous soon enough Tsundere Magus's Avatar
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2021 07:17 AM
    Threads

Since Madoka is already starring the topic, I thought I would bring the spin-off around. It is not a sequel, and it is quite different from the original. But huh, what do you guys think about Magia Record?

Indeed, it comes from a phone game, and usually anime series that come from phone games don't really have the highest quality, at least from my experience. But maybe to go on with the magical girls on acid theme we have here.

Gil
    Lurking
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

^ Don't know it.

Jarry Park, Montreal

Senior Member Tsundere Magus will become famous soon enough Tsundere Magus's Avatar
    Angelic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-22-2021 07:17 AM
    Threads

Madoka got a phone game, apparently, which expands the magical girl universe, and this anime tries to reflect that plot. It is inferior (in my opinion) compared to the main series, but I found it enjoyable to see other point of view. Do not expect something as deep as Madoka's experiences, but even if it is not as good, I do still consider giving it a try.

Premise? "Magical girls can be saved". It has been severely judged by scores, but... I don't know, better taste it first, then consider if it's your cup of tea afterwards. I usually have a neutral opinion with this kind of show, since it's trying to sell something, not tell a story, right?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information