AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5 Centimeters Per Second

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2024 08:08 PM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Lightbulb 5 Centimeters Per Second

With a name like 5 Centimeters per Second, what do you expect? First of all, after spending my life within the American system of measurement, I have to ask what is a centimeter? Suffice it to say that the title references the speed at which a cherry blossom petal falls from a tree.

This short film, about an hour in length, is a bitter-sweet heart-breaker. Takaki spends his life consumed with the memory of his childhood sweetheart Akari. After planning to spend their lives together, they are separated when Akari’s family moves away. Despite the occasional letter, the relationship would seem to cool, except in Takaki’s heart. Most of the film shows the negative effect this has on Takaki’s life as he grows into manhood.

The problem with 5 Centimeters per Second is its short length. There is a lot going on which could explain and clarify much of the plot, but which we do not get to see. Nothing is done to set up situations. Watching I thought this was an OVA for a longer series or perhaps a shortened version of a longer movie. But researching on-line I could find none. I had to re-run the film in my head to straighten out the storyline.

Artistically I have nothing but praise for the film. The art is excellent and the animation better than average. It is just that there is too much of the story which is left unsaid.

No nudity. No violence. No profanity. But some children may get bored if they can’t make sense of the plot. Some adults as well. 5 Centimeters per Second is suitable for anyone who can follow the story, unless they don’t like emotional downers.
    Last edited by PictureGuy; 10-29-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Moderator Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime has a reputation beyond repute Jasanime's Avatar
    Gil
    Cheerful
    Gifts Moon Crescent Wand Wine Kangaroo
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-13-2018 04:32 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 5 Centimeters Per Second

I love this film. Personally I like the works of Makoto Shinkai more than Mamoru Hosoda. I love the animation and art style and the subtleness of some of the themes. For me, 5cm per second evoked feelings of nostalgia and brought back memories of my 1st love. Absolutely one of my faves!!

Senior Member PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy has a reputation beyond repute PictureGuy's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Screwdriver Chameleon Rageface
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2024 08:08 PM
    Threads

Default Re: 5 Centimeters Per Second

Only this first love is a downer.

For Akari, his first love turns out to be his only love.

And who is that girl with the glasses who apparently works with Akari? Her's must be an interesting story, but we don't see any of it.

But the artwork is great.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information