AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dubbed Vs. Subbed?

Senior Member haddad287 has a reputation beyond repute haddad287 has a reputation beyond repute haddad287 has a reputation beyond repute haddad287 has a reputation beyond repute haddad287 has a reputation beyond repute haddad287 has a reputation beyond repute haddad287 has a reputation beyond repute haddad287 has a reputation beyond repute haddad287 has a reputation beyond repute haddad287 has a reputation beyond repute haddad287 has a reputation beyond repute haddad287's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-19-2010 11:25 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

dubbed is horriable, they change the entire meaning of the anime almost. Subbed is better becuase its the original. And it makes sense.

Senior Member kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16 has a reputation beyond repute kajikun16's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-09-2011 03:26 AM
    Threads

sub is more nicer than dubbed ones though some dub ones where great

Ash lover PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa has a reputation beyond repute PokemonTrainerLisa's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-18-2009 03:49 AM
    Threads

If you're interested in hearing different English voice actors and how they portray the characters in the dub version, I would say watch the dubs.

But anyway, I can't really give you my opinion on those anime series, because I haven't seen any of them, lol. XD

I did, however, catch one episode of Death Note on Adult Swim, and I agree that you should watch it dubbed.

Proud Leader of Save Our Voice Actors
    http://sova.raybound.com/sova/index.php

Junior Member DarkAbyss has a reputation beyond repute DarkAbyss has a reputation beyond repute DarkAbyss has a reputation beyond repute DarkAbyss has a reputation beyond repute DarkAbyss has a reputation beyond repute DarkAbyss has a reputation beyond repute DarkAbyss has a reputation beyond repute DarkAbyss has a reputation beyond repute DarkAbyss has a reputation beyond repute DarkAbyss has a reputation beyond repute DarkAbyss has a reputation beyond repute DarkAbyss's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-17-2009 02:54 AM
    Threads

I prefer the dubbed on all simply because i CANT speak/read japanese and i CANT stand to read a tv show if i wanted to read it id get the manga. That and they speak quickly an i have to end up pausing the video and that takes the fun out of watching it.(DONT be imature its simply my opinion.)
    I know i got of topic but yes most of those anime you listed are very good english dubs:) and the VAs put alot of work into making them.
    Last edited by DarkAbyss; 04-24-2009 at 05:18 AM.

"didn't we always promise?...to be
    together?...forever?."

Senior Member Shinigami_55 has a reputation beyond repute Shinigami_55 has a reputation beyond repute Shinigami_55 has a reputation beyond repute Shinigami_55 has a reputation beyond repute Shinigami_55 has a reputation beyond repute Shinigami_55 has a reputation beyond repute Shinigami_55 has a reputation beyond repute Shinigami_55 has a reputation beyond repute Shinigami_55 has a reputation beyond repute Shinigami_55 has a reputation beyond repute Shinigami_55 has a reputation beyond repute Shinigami_55's Avatar
    Gil
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-02-2011 06:15 AM
    Threads

i prefer subbed.
    i like reading bt sometimes i lose important details in th momnts im reading,bt somtimes i watch th same episod in th same day(my anime channel play the same episode 4 tims a day of evry anime it passes tht day)nd i see tht details!
    subbed is a lot btter nd funny

~ Aura ~ Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight has a reputation beyond repute Legend of the Twilight's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-10-2010 02:48 PM
    Threads

Dubbed has always been good for me. Anything to hear some of those sexy American voice actors ... like Crispin Freeman or Troy Baker or Steve Prince or Steve Staley ... oh yeah
    ~ Aura ~

"If you are near to the dark
    I will tell you 'bout the sun
    You are here, no escape
    From my visions of the world
    You will cry all alone
    But it does not mean a thing to me ..."

Senior Member Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2013 03:47 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by malign View Post
    I am mostly here because I am looking to watch a couple of new anime and I want to know which is better, subbed or dubbed? I know that most anime fans will side with subbed, as it tends to be truer to the anime and most people dislike english voice acting, but- for the most part I prefer subbed anime; so long as it doesn't lose too much of its originality.

heres a short list of some I'm thinking about watching, is there any major difference in the dubbing of any of these?

-inuyasha
    -bleach
    -naruto
    -dragonball series
    -marmalade boy
    -death note
    -neon genesis evangelion

feel free to suggest any good anime, though I have seen a lot of the 'classics'.

Thank you!
    Out of the above episodes, the only ones I've seen dubbed episodes of were Inuyasha and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Personally, I didn't care for either of them dubbed and probably would've never watched them if that was all I could see. But I'm the type who avoids dubs whenever I can, and only watch it if I can't find a subbed version.

I think Dragonball is supposed to be good dubbed, but I've never watched the series besides short clips.

Out of all the series I've watched dubbed, the ones which I enjoyed the English voice acting in the most were, in order...

1) FLCL (English Title: Fooly Cooly)
    2) Darker than Black
    3) Cowboy Bebop

The FLCL english cast was actually really great. I've never seen this one subbed, but it's the one anime I've seen which was so perfect and natural in English that I wouldn't think of it any other way. Well... besides old classics like Astro Boy or The Transformers, of course. My favorite English voice actor here was Haruko. This title is the best example I can give you to see what good English voice actors can do.

Darker than Black I just started watching in fact, and only found it dubbed. I was pleasantly surprised by a good Englsih cast throughout. Since I've never seen this one subbed I can't compare, but I didn't find it lacking in the dubbed version.

Cowboy Bebop I've watched both dubbed and subbed, and the movie I watched fully dubbed. I didn't mind the dubbed version at all, and some of the voice actors were especially good, like Jet and Faye. It would probably be higher in my list of good dubbed animes, if I didn't have the subbed version to watch.
    Last edited by Neddog; 04-25-2009 at 03:07 AM.
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

GONESKIES AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-07-2009 04:18 PM
    Threads

The "subbed vs. dubbed" debate is hotly contested, and honestly there's no right answer for someone's personal preferance.

If you know Japanese then I'd say dubbed doesn't hurt, but if not then why torture yourself reading the story. The only thing I can see about dubbed animes are that the deeply cultural Japanese references are either switched or changed to something more American viewers can realte too. Otherwise exact translation might not make sense.

Member KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan has a reputation beyond repute KawaiiKurochan's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-28-2009 06:09 AM
    Threads

I prefer subbed ^^

Junior Member TheBlackCatXIII is infamous around these parts TheBlackCatXIII is infamous around these parts TheBlackCatXIII is infamous around these parts TheBlackCatXIII is infamous around these parts TheBlackCatXIII is infamous around these parts TheBlackCatXIII is infamous around these parts TheBlackCatXIII is infamous around these parts TheBlackCatXIII is infamous around these parts TheBlackCatXIII is infamous around these parts TheBlackCatXIII is infamous around these parts TheBlackCatXIII is infamous around these parts TheBlackCatXIII's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-28-2009 03:06 AM
    Threads

i know this post sorta died =/ but, sub would probably be best unless dub is your only option xD.
    As for me, i actually started with dub... and then out of interest i watched the sub version of it, instantly i noticed how much time i have wasted watching the dubbed version of the anime. It was naruto in fact xD. so at least for naruto, the dubbed version is definitely a no >_<"
    Subs with original voice is often better because it brings out the characters' emotions more. Tho the only disadvantage about sub is that sometimes they don't bring out the full meaning of the joke xD like in the naruto movie.
    anyway, nuff said @.@

Senior Member Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog has a reputation beyond repute Neddog's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-03-2013 03:47 PM
    Threads

xD That's really not what the OP was asking, guys...
    Ned Yeung, A.C.E.

Cold-Blooded IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess has a reputation beyond repute IcePriestess's Avatar
    Gil
    Asleep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-17-2011 10:46 AM
    Threads

Listen to my advice!!! Don't ever watch dubbed versions of the anime. They actually all suck! Subs are actually the best part of animes!

P.S Originally Anime is Japanese right? So english dubs won't convey all the feelings
    It is stupid to be afraid to die, but the most stupid thing is to be afraid to live.

Junior Member frazelle is on a distinguished road frazelle's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-28-2009 11:51 PM
    Threads

i really prefer sub because its much better when the voice actors are japanese.

No Rain No Rainbow!!! OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!! has a reputation beyond repute OtakuInu!!!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Busy
    Gifts Red Dango Fuuko Starfish Cake
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-22-2018 12:08 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: k9craze

Cool

There are good dubs but it depends on what you like.

I like subbed.
    [Random words of wisdom here]
    [Photo signature here]
    [Random words here]

Simple Truth CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce has a reputation beyond repute CrystalAce's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-04-2010 02:07 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

It depends on different anime. Some anime sounds better with dubbed while, some sounds better with subbed. And, it also has a lot to do with the talent of the voice actors.

For instance, Dragon Ball Z is an epic anime but it sounds horrible in subbed ( partly due to the fact that it's an old anime). But it sounds great in dubbed.

But it also depends on your own choice of voice actors. I, for instance, loved the Japanese voice actor who played the role of Anderson in Hellsing Ultimate. Though, English voice actor also sounded good with some Scottish accent, I didn't find it to be as energetic as the Japanese counterpart.

So, in the end, it's only upto you to decide to watch anime in subbed or dubbed.
    Last edited by CrystalAce; 05-29-2009 at 06:01 AM.
    "To do is to be" - Descartes, "To be is to do" - Voltaire, "Do be do be do" - Sinatra.

NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY

Junior Member dellhybrid is on a distinguished road dellhybrid's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-31-2009 12:12 AM
    Threads

I prefer a good dub. I hate looking at the subs because sometimes I have to pause it to read the whole thing before it moves on to the next thing they talk about. It is much better when what they are saying is being translated really well with a good voice actor because then I don't have to look at the sub.

I luv Irish+mac n'cheez NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar has a reputation beyond repute NovaStar's Avatar
    Gil
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-29-2009 02:25 PM
    Threads
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: No Wii

I've always been a fan of the dub, and I'll tell you why, for me it's easier to understand, but that's been said already, I find alot of people are either purist on sub or dub, there's no grey, however I can take either or. But I prefer dub, due to the fans of the side.

I have seen so many fans use the excuse of purity and "original work" for subtitled work, that it boggles my mind, because I can garuntee you? you wouldn't say that about any other medium of work.

For example. (not that I am promoting any type of religion, I'll say that now) If someone had purchased the bible, and read that bible, and said "I like it, but the translation is off" - They'd be laughed at.

To deal with Subtitles? - Subtitles are not always correct, now by no means am I saying dubs are either, but subs, are only as accurate as the person doing them, in all reality, you don't know on EITHER side which is more accurate, a sub or a dub. because you have different people doing them every time.

If you gave a sub job to ADV Films, I garuntee you, if you gave a sub job to Viz, the wording would be different in Subtitle for both companies.

Anime can never fully be 100% translated into sub, because only the true author of the work knows what Is meant.

I choose dub for two reasons

The fans are less hardcore if you dislike something, and simply because it's an easier watch for me.
    If Anyone has a question about the Anime Industry, be it "What to buy?" Or my opinion on a certain topic. Feel Free to IM Me.

Note: Please make it ledgible and readable before you send it(No Chatspeak please)

Note: Any Questions on "Where can I get things for free" or Piracy issues: Will be met with a Fist of an Angry God(Ignored)

GONESKIES AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS has a reputation beyond repute AF SUCKS's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-07-2009 04:18 PM
    Threads

It really doesn't matter who the translating company is, and honestly it's not so much a company doing it as it's a freelance job given to an individual by a company like Viz, the translation is never going to be the same subbed or dubbed. There's are expressions that don't make sense with direct translation, so the translator takes license and replaces it with a saying English speakers would understand. I've often heard that subbed gives you something closer to what is said in Japanese, but if they don't speak Japanese how would they know. Something I refer to as the purist's cop out.

Senior Member Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander has a reputation beyond repute Cobra Commander's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-17-2011 12:15 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

I will try either one. I watched a lot of dubbed anime on scifi and adult swim, but when I watch it online, I often find it subbed. It doesn't really matter to me. If I like the english actors, fine. If not, I watch it in japanese.

So far I prefer Bleach in Japanese, but liked Ouran in English better.

Wafer Paladin Reonic Flux has a reputation beyond repute Reonic Flux has a reputation beyond repute Reonic Flux has a reputation beyond repute Reonic Flux has a reputation beyond repute Reonic Flux has a reputation beyond repute Reonic Flux has a reputation beyond repute Reonic Flux has a reputation beyond repute Reonic Flux has a reputation beyond repute Reonic Flux has a reputation beyond repute Reonic Flux has a reputation beyond repute Reonic Flux has a reputation beyond repute Reonic Flux's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    05-17-2011 10:10 AM
    Threads

I prefer subbed. At least I can hear the original Japanese audio even if the translation's off.
    I love wafers!

I'm sure the Lakers will get that three-peat. Awwyeahh

Anti-Dentite Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus. has a reputation beyond repute Cyrus.'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-17-2010 08:30 PM
    Threads

I prefer sub better because it's just better to me. Some dubbed versions are okay but some are horrible to me. The only dubbed version sounded just like the subbed to me and that was FLCL
    8.27.08 <----

Sig made by Novak~

"You know, I don't get it. Since when are you not allowed to ask a Chinese man where a Chinese restaurant is? I mean, aren't we getting a little too sensitive here? If someone asks me, "which direction is Israel," I don't go flying off the handle."
    - Jerry Seinfeld

Closed Thread

Thread Information