AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: J-pop tours

Junior Member Ryuki is on a distinguished road Ryuki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-24-2009 04:13 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Thumbs up J-pop tours

I have a great question. how come Japanese musicians never tour in America, but American musicians always go to japan?

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuki View Post
    I have a great question. how come Japanese musicians never tour in America, but American musicians always go to japan?
    Because many countries in Europe and Asia listen to a wide variety of foreign music. Here in America, foreign music is not mainstream by any means, with the exception of the occasional Canadian or British group, and other english-speaking bands, as well as the occasional European metal band. Most of what America listens to is American, or at least in english. As a general collective, America's taste in music is very limited by the language barried.

Since you're refering to Japanese music, I'll use Japan as an example of a foreign county's music. Japan, for the most part, does listen to Japanese music, but at the same time, American bands are fairly popular there and they are in many, many countries. It's also apparently very easy to find Korean music there as well, from what I've heard.

Of course, this is not to say that Japanese bands do not come to America. It's actually more common than you'd think. Punkpop group Ellegarden released their 5th studio album "Eleven Firecrackers" here in the United States in 2008, and did a small west-coast tour. The Pillows have been here on several occasions, and did a small tour a year or two ago which was then used for a live DVD. Polysics tour the U.S. on occasion, and were here a few months ago(I decided to pass, I'm not that big of a fan). Zazen Boys were here briefly in September of 2008, though I believe the only show they did was in NY(I couldn't get there because of school.). There's also a small tour called the Japan Night Tour, with about a dozen or so groups coming to do an 8-show tour in late March/early April of this year, including more notable groups such as The Emeralds and Sparta Locals(already got my tickets). And of course, things like anime conventions will usually have some pop group or idol singer or a visual-kei band do a performance. I saw Shoko Nakugawa at Anime Expo 2008.

Such things are not advertised massively to the public because, as I said, the vast majority of the American public just doesn't care, and for the most part the people who know about them are those who keep an eye out for such events, keep tabs on bands they like, or live locally to places were these groups may perform.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Team Aki! -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan- has a reputation beyond repute -akichan-'s Avatar
    Gil
    Cheeky
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    12-09-2013 12:09 AM
    Threads

Hmm...all I know is that lots of Chinese singers coming to the US instead of the Japanese. And they tend to have their concerts taking place at either NY, or Las Vegas the most.

The Beat of the Rain Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn has a reputation beyond repute Gjallarhorn's Avatar
    Gil
    Amused
    Gifts PPG Buttercup Razor Spinning Beach Ball Doom
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-05-2014 10:56 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

Found out the other day that Zazen Boys are doing two more shows in NY, and a show in NJ next week.

Also, Morning Musume will be at Anime Expo 2009, for those of you who are into the whole idol pop thing.
    Last edited by Gjallarhorn; 02-28-2009 at 01:56 AM.

"The color fades along the intervals I follow."

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Most likely because Japanese music will never be popular in America. Here in America you only need to know English. Countries like Japan, (from what I understood from a friend) Germany, etc. People aren't really going to learn another language to understand the music, hence them not listening to it.

Not listening = No concerts

AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi has a reputation beyond repute Datenshi's Avatar
    Gil
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-11-2013 03:51 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian
    People aren't really going to learn another language to understand the music, hence them not listening to it.
    Actually, I can testify against this. Most of the people who listen to yougaku (overseas music) here often have completely no idea what the song means.

It's an interesting question if you rephrase the question as "why is American music more successful in non-American countries than non-American music in America"?

In my opinion, it's just another typical case of America being.... well, America. You could ask the question for many things, not only music. Why is there a McDonalds in every backwater villiage in the world, but no Yoshinoya in London or Paris? The U.S. is just more skilled than most countries at marketing to foreign audiences, and they've been doing it for far longer than us.
    Last edited by Datenshi; 02-28-2009 at 11:40 PM.
    "If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron."

-Spider Robinson, God Is an Iron

Jumonji Baka Kawaii IV
    AnimeLyrics Submitter Lv 2
    Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki has a reputation beyond repute Akihiko Yamamoto Hozagaki's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-18-2009 09:27 AM
    Threads

Datenshi and Xero are absolutely correct. It's unfortunate, but true.

I actually kind of like how Japanese music is an underground thing. I don't know GLAY too well unfortunately, but they were recently in San Francisco, and An Cafe, who I hate, is coming as well. There's just something special about going to tiny concerts and finding that one person who actually knows what you're talking about. I just wish it could be underground and have concerts in America. Maybe one day.

深く根ざした||傷は消えない
    Hide it, Hide it, Hide me

Senior Member Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian has a reputation beyond repute Diocletian's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-20-2011 04:22 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datenshi View Post
    Actually, I can testify against this. Most of the people who listen to yougaku (overseas music) here often have completely no idea what the song means.

It's an interesting question if you rephrase the question as "why is American music more successful in non-American countries than non-American music in America"?

In my opinion, it's just another typical case of America being.... well, America. You could ask the question for many things, not only music. Why is there a McDonalds in every backwater villiage in the world, but no Yoshinoya in London or Paris? The U.S. is just more skilled than most countries at marketing to foreign audiences, and they've been doing it for far longer than us.
    You might be referring to the Dir En Gray fans/idiots. I can understand about 30% of what they say and someone who doesn't know a lick about what they're saying says they're epic. If only they know Engrish...at least.

Forever 12. Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori has a reputation beyond repute Memento Mori's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-01-2013 07:01 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Because the marketing for Japanese bands is poor, which creates less of a fanbase in other countries, which leads to there being no need to tour in a country where you'd make no profit.

Also, and this is just random.

The Beatles are like Gods in Japan.
    On this day of days, most epic and prideful, you were born 15 whole American years ago!
    Through the odds and by doing the impossible, you beat out hundreds of thousands of siblings in the great sperm race for the coveted egg.
    Probably via hax.
    Regardless! You won!
    So remember, whenever someone picks on you or calls you weak or small.
    Just remind them that you beat out a few hundred thousand other wimps.

And the grand prize was not dying!

Member JudyT has a reputation beyond repute JudyT has a reputation beyond repute JudyT has a reputation beyond repute JudyT has a reputation beyond repute JudyT has a reputation beyond repute JudyT has a reputation beyond repute JudyT has a reputation beyond repute JudyT has a reputation beyond repute JudyT has a reputation beyond repute JudyT has a reputation beyond repute JudyT has a reputation beyond repute JudyT's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-02-2009 02:52 AM
    Threads

Japanese bands dont get as much coverage as American/English bands
    But Miyavi did tour and i'm sure he went America, i'm posative he was in London XD
    But i think Japanese stars are trying to tour more over now.
    Either he's dead or my watch has stopped O.o

Quote me as been miss quoted

DeviantART - judyT
    youtube - Princessofpink

Closed Thread

Thread Information