AnimeGalleries [dot] NetAnimeWallpapers [dot] ComAnimeLyrics [dot] ComAnimePedia [dot] ComAnimeGlobe [dot] Com

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Reality vs. V.R.

Junior Member head_hunter is on a distinguished road head_hunter's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-09-2007 04:46 AM
    User Info Thanks / Tagging Info Gifts / Achievements / Awards vBActivity Stats
    Threads

Default Reality vs. V.R.

yep...i know what you're thinking...MATRIX but the only difference is that everybody is like Neo... would you like to have the opportunity to do some cool stuff in virtual reality or live your plain life just as it is...i'd go for VR.
    the death of one is a tragedy...
    the death of millions is just statistics...

Senior Member bankai has a reputation beyond repute bankai has a reputation beyond repute bankai has a reputation beyond repute bankai has a reputation beyond repute bankai has a reputation beyond repute bankai has a reputation beyond repute bankai has a reputation beyond repute bankai has a reputation beyond repute bankai has a reputation beyond repute bankai has a reputation beyond repute bankai has a reputation beyond repute bankai's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-18-2008 04:33 AM
    Threads

why do you think my life is plain? maybe i do interesting stuff or maybe i don't like flying on top of a broomstick... anyway i see you haven't recovered from the talk we had...lol...maybe you'll find others who share your view... i prefer to remain real in reality...
    stresless and motionless within my world of silence the embrace of darkness is my only shield...

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Gifts Tuxedo Mask Rose Mario Question Block Pen
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-06-2015 01:53 AM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Cheesy movies aside, there is actually scientific indication that this reality might actually be virtual.

The argument goes something like this: Assume a set number of cultures in the universe get to be advanced enough to create a universe throughout time (not just the present, we also need to count the past and the future), and go through with building one. Just counting these first tier simulators, our chances of existing is small. Even if it's just some 100 simulators (A VERY modest number), we only have a 1% chance of existing.

Now, as these simulators do their thing, they will all simulate themselves. So, counting the second tier simulators (the simulators that are simulated by simulators), there are 10,100 simulators we could be simulated by, and only one reality. Our chance of existing is only 0.009%.

If we continue this logic for a while, to say tenth tier simulators, our chance of existing is only 0.00000000000000000009% (there are 101010101010101010100 simulators, and one reality.)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that as the tiers continue, there is absolutely no chance this is reality.
    Last edited by Eris; 08-04-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Hey look, Japan made a movie about me!

Banned Forum / Chat Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore has a brilliant future Elvore's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    06-08-2008 04:56 PM
    Threads

I would not simpily because your not living your just playing a video game and you couldnt posibly survive living off a game alone.

███ ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███ has a reputation beyond repute ███'s Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    09-07-2008 08:45 AM
    Threads

Imagine your are an obese ugly dude, (if you really are one then you don't need to imagine it) now imagine that obese ugly dude goes into virtual reality. Viola! No more name calling.
    ████████████

Member Sugar Rockets is just really nice Sugar Rockets is just really nice Sugar Rockets is just really nice Sugar Rockets is just really nice Sugar Rockets's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    02-06-2008 03:57 PM
    Threads

I would also have to go with V.R

Always more fun ^^

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Elvore View Post
    I would not simpily because your not living your just playing a video game and you couldnt posibly survive living off a game alone.
    i didn't mean that you should spend countless hours...look isn't there something that you wished to do and couldn't...let's just say you want to jump from one building to another without fear of falling...in reality you couldn't because there is gravitation...but in V.R. you define the laws that aply there which means that some laws can be bent...

the barbie girl. ♥ Queen Dopplepopolis! has a reputation beyond repute Queen Dopplepopolis! has a reputation beyond repute Queen Dopplepopolis! has a reputation beyond repute Queen Dopplepopolis! has a reputation beyond repute Queen Dopplepopolis! has a reputation beyond repute Queen Dopplepopolis! has a reputation beyond repute Queen Dopplepopolis! has a reputation beyond repute Queen Dopplepopolis! has a reputation beyond repute Queen Dopplepopolis! has a reputation beyond repute Queen Dopplepopolis! has a reputation beyond repute Queen Dopplepopolis! has a reputation beyond repute Queen Dopplepopolis!'s Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    10-14-2007 05:58 PM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Cheesy movies aside, there is actually scientific indication that this reality might actually be virtual.

The argument goes something like this: Assume a set number of cultures in the universe get to be advanced enough to create a universe throughout time (not just the present, we also need to count the past and the future), and go through with building one. Just counting these first tier simulators, our chances of existing is small. Even if it's just some 100 simulators (A VERY modest number), we only have a 1% chance of existing.

Now, as these simulators do their thing, they will all simulate themselves. So, counting the second tier simulators (the simulators that are simulated by simulators), there are 10,100 simulators we could be simulated by, and only one reality. Our chance of existing is only 0.009%.

If we continue this logic for a while, to say tenth tier simulators, our chance of existing is only 0.00000000000000000009% (there are 101010101010101010100 simulators, and one reality.)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that as the tiers continue, there is absolutely no chance this is reality.

haha this is great.
    i never knew.
    심혼의 개기식.
    and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars a.p.a.r.t.:

4: [Classified brah] Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris has a reputation beyond repute Eris's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BARBiEgrrl View Post

haha this is great.
    i never knew.
    Isn't it? Wikipedia has an article on the subject, that is quite interesting. Might also want to look at the article on the "brain in a vat"-problem in philosophy.

Senior Member Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio has a reputation beyond repute Wio's Avatar
    Gil
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2023 05:24 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Assume a set number of cultures in the universe get to be advanced enough to create a universe throughout time (not just the present, we also need to count the past and the future), and go through with building one.
    That's a big assumption though.

It is like assuming that some God created us, then stating that the chance of a God never existing is reaching 0%.

teed's Puppy International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818 has a reputation beyond repute International 4-8818's Avatar
    Gil
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-07-2020 05:11 PM
    Threads

Haha, that is a pretty good one user name. Well i mean i would rather live life just the way it is. My life is fine. I don't need to be dressed in leather and fight clones and retreat from a hard days work to a rickety hovel trying to chant the prophecy.

Gil
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
    That's a big assumption though.

It is like assuming that some God created us, then stating that the chance of a God never existing is reaching 0%.
    Not really. There are a lot of stars in the galaxy, and this assumption doesn't need it to occur concurrently with what we call "now." It doesn't even have to be in a universe anything like ours, it could be run from one where you can't throw a cat without hitting a new advanced civilization, as an experiment to see what a universe with fewer populated worlds would look like.

Corrupted Data Inc. CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon has a reputation beyond repute CrimsonMoon's Avatar
    Gil
    Lurking
    Gifts Cookie Ice Cream Kawaiislice
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    11-18-2014 09:19 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    AW Wallpapers

I'm okay with reality, though playing in VR sounds interesting. But I'd rather live in this world. Eris, your theory is hurting my puny brain. x_x

Senior Member zellk has a reputation beyond repute zellk has a reputation beyond repute zellk has a reputation beyond repute zellk has a reputation beyond repute zellk has a reputation beyond repute zellk has a reputation beyond repute zellk has a reputation beyond repute zellk has a reputation beyond repute zellk has a reputation beyond repute zellk has a reputation beyond repute zellk has a reputation beyond repute zellk's Avatar
    Gil
    Bahahaha
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    07-31-2010 09:35 PM
    Threads

hello would you like to be my friend?

Senior Member Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2008 09:36 AM
    Threads

I'd prefer living the real world.. Virtual reality sounds cool and all, but you can't escape reality for long. I mean, you can't eat holographic food. ^-^

And seeing as I'm a coward I wouldn't really wan't to be at the edge of death in a virtual reality game. c.c
    Last edited by Maledictis Voca; 08-06-2007 at 07:10 PM.
    Whom we Are:
    It is said that the cursed
    were once seekers of truth
    and wisdom, blinded by power
    and hate, who were then judged and
    sentenced to an eternity of life.
    Never to fully die, never to
    fully live and never to find tranquility.

Gods of Death Love Apples Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra has a reputation beyond repute Finvarra's Avatar
    Gil
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    04-10-2012 10:56 AM
    Threads

VR.
    This life is boring.
    It would be better is .Hack was real.
    :[
    Sig and Avatar
    by: GoodyLucky

Warcraft: Hit me up!
    Server: Skywall
    Main Toon: Phinvarra
    Alt Toons: Kazrawr and Nithilus

Senior Member Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca has a reputation beyond repute Maledictis Voca's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-18-2008 09:36 AM
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Kazerra View Post
    VR.
    This life is boring.
    It would be better is .Hack was real.
    :[
    I change my mind if .Hack was real you'd have to force me off the VR xD
    Whom we Are:
    It is said that the cursed
    were once seekers of truth
    and wisdom, blinded by power
    and hate, who were then judged and
    sentenced to an eternity of life.
    Never to fully die, never to
    fully live and never to find tranquility.

Golden Knight Saejima Kouga has a reputation beyond repute Saejima Kouga has a reputation beyond repute Saejima Kouga has a reputation beyond repute Saejima Kouga has a reputation beyond repute Saejima Kouga has a reputation beyond repute Saejima Kouga has a reputation beyond repute Saejima Kouga has a reputation beyond repute Saejima Kouga has a reputation beyond repute Saejima Kouga has a reputation beyond repute Saejima Kouga has a reputation beyond repute Saejima Kouga has a reputation beyond repute Saejima Kouga's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    08-26-2008 08:33 PM
    Threads
    Blog Entries

Well, after seeing a show that takes a new stance on "Virtual Reality" I would agree that I would like to visit it maybe... because in it, Virtual Reality was another "Dimension" of living, which was pretty awesome. So when they were looking into VR goggles, they were actually taking a look into a different realm, rather than playing a game. But anyway, it'd be nice to take a quick way into another living world for sure. So if it'd be like that, then definitely yes.

Gil
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Maledictis Voca View Post
    I'd prefer living the real world.. Virtual reality sounds cool and all, but you can't escape reality for long. I mean, you can't eat holographic food. ^-^
    then again our brain uses about 10% of its capability... who knows what kind of things, that are now dormant, it can do...like taking atoms from the enviroment and asimilating them to the organism as a form of "food"...there are engines ,prototypes, that gather their fuel from the gases in the air...why wouldn't we able to do that in the future(about 200-300years...guessing...evolution it's unpredictable)

Senior Member overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch has a reputation beyond repute overwatch's Avatar
    Gil
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest Post
    03-25-2010 03:34 PM
    Threads

VR would be great fun, but just think what would happen. Imagin if you could play VR World of Warcraft or Second Life; we could end up witha totally virtual world living within the confins of the real world. I can see the headlines now -- volentier food service provids food to addicts who forget to eat -- the first baby to be born in virtual reality (either a digital baby or a baby born natually, but conected to the vr world from birth)

OK maybe I'm going to far, but its not unreasonalbe to assume that many people could live like this if their bank balence allowed them too - jus tthink of all the people who work in offices - those jobs could easily still be done in a virtual world

Closed Thread

Thread Information