PDA

View Full Version : I'm addicted to gaming....

Hanamaru Kunikida
12-13-2010, 06:31 PM
As much as I'd like to not admit it, I think gaming has taken over my life. I don't mean it like I'm a fatso living in my mother's basement kind of way, but rather something that's inside of me - that won't leave. Earlier in life I went through a lot of problems with school and my parents, so gaming allowed me to cope. But then it led to more than that, to where it wasn't just a way to get through issues. I became addicted to trophies not for the benefit of competition, but because it felt like I could accomplish something for once in my life. I dropped out of school, partly due to gaming. I felt accomplished enough as it was working towards that Platinum trophy; Who really gives a crap about the molecular structure of a rock? I battled this for a long time, and I thought I needed to go to college because it was the right thing to do. I felt like going to school would change me into a different person..Maybe make me more knowledgeable in life, maybe I would make a few friends. So I sold my PS3. I knew that If I wanted to change, I would first need to drop the one thing that was controlling my life. But heres the thing, when I sold it, I dropped off connections to some really good friends I've met online. Except maybe two - that I message on MSN pretty frequently.. And the other day I was talking to one of them and it made me look at my life. Gaming lets you do things that you couldn't do in real life. Its the equivalent of going sky diving, driving full speed ahead in a lamborghini filardo - way past the speed limit; In video games you can be somebody else, hop cars (U2), get your anger out by shooting random people (GTA), and become a freaking superhero (Infamous). Maybe I sound like I need help, but the fact is, gaming allows you to be another person. I look at this situation and think... do I want a life of schooling, working towards a career I might never get into - and end up with a ton of bills, or do I want a life of maybe having a low end job, where I work day to day, but after work I can be anybody else I want to be? Its a tough call, especially when the world will say that I have a problem. I think I'd rather take my chances with enjoying my life. Maybe I do have an addiction. But heres the thing: I'm not playing crappy kiddie games just for that platinum trophy. I'm simply playing for fun. I do agree that its smart to get out and hang out with friends, and not to become a total hermit, but as far as I'm concerned, I have made some amazing online friends and there are so many memories that just can't be bettered with the real world. Maybe I AM a freak, Maybe to all of you I DO need help, but I think I've come to terms with the fact that I am a gamer and always will be!

That's not me. He's my friends' friend(the one he two mentioned that he talks to over MSN) And well, I talk to him occasionally. Anyways, before anything, he posted is 10 months ago but I thought the topic could be a semi-good discussion. So can you really get addicted to gaming?

My personal opinion? Well, you can basically get addicted to anything, there's worse addictions but basically you can. Gaming is not bad, you just got to do it moderately.
Looking back at the group chat we had, this person also sold his PS3 because he got addicted to getting trophies. I mean, really? That's really stupid. But this guy actually put his life back into place, sort of..

TheyCallMeFei
12-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Sure you can. As I understand it, playing video games activates receptors in the brain, just as drugs do. You want to experience that feeling again and again, so you play more video games.

There are varying degrees of addiction in anything. Ultimately, if you've played a game and enjoyed it, and plan on playing another, you're "addicted" in terms of the meaning of the word.

I'm with you though, gaming requires moderation, just like many other things. Sure, I've played video games at the expensive of doing other "more important" things. I balance it with healthy amounts of social interaction and studying and a job.

I feel bad for those people you here stories about, like, getting addicted hardcore to WoW and Guild Wars, etc., and dying of malnutrition. That sucks.

Eris
12-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Needs paragraphs.

Skylar1
12-13-2010, 10:59 PM
The definition of addiction (as according to it being a problem) is when you do said thing against your desire to do something else. It really has nothing to do with quantity, but rather, "I want to do X instead, but choose to continue this pattern of behavior that I enjoy".

You can become addicted to anything that exists; since everything you do has some sort of effect of the brain.

Bulf
12-14-2010, 10:03 PM
There's nothing wrong with addiction to video games. It doesn't hurt anyone or anything (except maybe the electric bill), and as long as it's not doing any real harm, it's okay.

TomoyoSakagami
12-14-2010, 10:43 PM
All addictions can become bad. It just depends on the person it effects.

Needs paragraphs.

SigmaSD
12-15-2010, 03:58 AM
Wait... is that why you didn't come online that often once you came back from Miami?

And I agree with the fact that you can get addicted to anything. Kinda like me with chocolate.

I used to play video games soo much when I was younger so you could say that I was addicted to it. But you tend to outgrow it kinda like you outgrow playing with toys. Now I play video games moderately or moderately low.

Matty
12-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Kinda like me with chocolate.

YES! ME TOO! I'm a feind when it comes to chocolate, my favourite is Godiva, or Reese Peanut Butter Cups if I'm feeling cheap.

Aaaaanyways, gaming can most deffinately be addicting. My buddy is addicted to World of Warcraft, games out for months on end and I barely see him now adays. But whatever floats your boat, who's to say that it's wrong, certainly doesn't hurt anybody. Most deffinately turns someone anti-socail in the real world, but it's not like they've lost comunication with everyone... I'm sure they still talk to people online when they game.

When it comes to me, I prefer offline games, never got in to the whole mmo thing. I like to be able to finish a game, and not have it go on FOREVER! Lol. But as the legend goes, mmo's can break up marraiges, isolate families, and create a serious lack in excercise.