PDA

View Full Version : Building From Stratch

Ashminigun
11-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Hello again, AF denizen!

This thread is for computer enthusiast, strictly on building/upgrading your own system. Any level of experience are welcome in this discussion; from adding on/replacing/upgrading component into your current system to hardcore LN2-cooled overclocker. However, those "Building your own is such a waste of time. Just buy brand X system. It's the best. /thread" comment are not welcome here. (You know which product that I referring to)

What factor(s) that you consider when you're choosing your hardware(s) for upgrade or new system build up? Are you one of those Camp A vs Camp B i.e Intel, AMD type of person? Is it the good experience with certain brand that your forever loyal to it? Is it the the drop of certain component price lures you into impulse buying? Or is it the latest technology that incite you to upgrade your nearly obsolete system? Have your say here.

OokamiYokai
11-26-2010, 08:22 AM
im actualy gonna get a new computer later this year, since my old one desided to die on me the otherday =( !, im thinking of building the new one myself. it will be my frist homebuild. will mainly be used for Music production and some Photoshoping.

the components i have chosen so far is Intel for porsessor either the 970 or the 980.
and use the Corsair H70 or the Coolit ECO ALC.
12GB ram from either Corsair or Gskill, havent desided on that yet.
also if im allowed to ask, could annyone reccomend me a good SSD drive i can use for the OS HD? that would be very nice thanx :)
anyways..
the graphic card im gonna use will be a mid range one most likely one from Nvidia.
and computer Case and PSU from Corsair.

all of my old PC's have always had similar components. always intel ,nvidia and corsair :)
so i Guess i am a Intel and nvidia type of person.

Gero50
12-07-2010, 03:12 AM
Building comps from ground up is a hobby of mine. I know quite a bit but I buy what fits my needs and help others with theirs if I am asked. Though mostly as long as it works and I don't need to wait a long time while it is processing my stff then I really don't care how new or expensive it is.

Eris
12-08-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm entrenched deeply in the AMD CPU / Nvidia GPU camp. The rest is 75% price, 25% experience.

Mac
12-09-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm kinda with Eris; a bit of an AMD / nVidia computer user here. o_o

Mainly because of price, and experiences. I do want an Intel CPU but ... christ, they're expensive >_>

My experiences with ATi graphics cards have also been far from satisfactory, hence I prefer nVidia simply because I know how they're going to work.

Although I will probably save up eventually and buy an Intel i7 (or anything newer when the time arrives) I will probably permanently be a hardcore fanboy and stick to nVidia hardware if I can. This does, of course, depend on how good AMD's next-gen processors (the ones that are supposed to be comparable to the i7) actually are. I tend not to keep up with the processor war front though, only the GPU war front ... I don't even know if those AMD CPUs are out yet or not, yet I know what graphics cards are around xD

Mainly because it's going to be a while before game standards require more than four processor cores to run a game, and my (fairly outdated) quad-core AMD is still more than competent enough to run anything providing it's got the GPU and RAM to back it up. Which is why I tend to go for new graphics cards before new processors, since they still do the majority of the heavy work gaming-wise.

So yeah ... I guess it's personal experiences as well as prices that lean me towards products. o_o;

Gero50
12-12-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm entrenched deeply in the AMD CPU / Nvidia GPU camp. The rest is 75% price, 25% experience.
I use to be a very big AMD, NVidia fan but these days I use Intel CPUs and never went back. What makes you so into AMD.

Eris
12-12-2010, 07:12 PM
At least back in the day, Intel CPUs were a big joke (with the FDIV bug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug) haunting them where ever they went. You'd hear people say stuff like "Pentium 4.00000037"), expensive as hell with not a lot of value for the money. I've heard they've caught up with AMD lately, but I'm not certain.

Token Black Guy
12-13-2010, 01:47 AM
I would like to build a awesome 2TB gaming pc one day. I had a internship at a computer building store in high school, so i know how to put a pc together and install Windows. I just forgot how to use BIOS.

Aku no Hikari
12-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I have never owned a computer I did not build "from scratch". I think it's the only right way to get what you want...

Yes, I've been an AMD/nVidia fan(atic?) for the most part. But Intel CPUs have become so good these days. I'm actually using one.

Though, surprisingly enough, I heard nVidia "dropped the ball" in the high-end laptop/mobile graphics cards market. ATI (now called AMD) cards support all the latest technologies, while nVidia cards surprisingly lack support to these technologies and only provide you with a monster GPU that consumes much more energy (more than double the amount, as far as I heard) and only provides you with borderline better performance than its AMD equivalent. But I'm not very certain about this.

But either way, nVidia still owns if you want a graphics card for your desktop.

OokamiYokai
02-13-2011, 10:49 AM
I finaly got my new computer together :)
Computer Specs
CoolerMaster HAF X Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Professional 64Bit
Asus Rampage 3 Extreme Motherboard
Corsair HX 1000W Power Supply
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 12GB Memmory kit
Intel Core i7-970 6 Core Prosessor
Corsair H70 CPu Cooler
Intel X25-M SSD 80GB 2,5" SATA2, read/write 250MB/70MB
Western Digital Blue Sata 6Gb's 500GB Hard Drive
Western Digital Mybook 1TeraBite External HD for Backup
Geinward Geforce GTX 460 1GB Graphic Card