PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to America: Come See Our Fat People!

Buruku
11-17-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm glad I can [I]at least say that the majority of people in the States are in good shape, however the first thing our tourists notice is the ridiculous amount of grossly obese people in our country.

I would like to hear from non-Americans: How familiar are you with the stereotypical image of the fat American? Has it appeared in your comedy shows yet? Have you ever traveled to the U.S and witnessed the countless convenience stores full of cookies and chips? How are your eating habits?

Last night I ordered some chicken Alfredo, one serving, just for me. What I got wasn't a moderate portion, but a frickin serving platter that could feed 3 people (with 4 pieces of bread). I ate a quarter of it, and brought the rest home so my boyfriend could have it for lunch the next day. (He couldn't even finish it during his lunch). It was an absurd amount of food.

My boyfriend also commented on just wanting some celery yesterday, and how he thought it was strange that a kit-kat (chocolate bar) that had to be manufactured was more readily available than something that grew out of the ground.

So, my fellow Americans, how do you feel about being pegged as fat? What is the biggest thing contributing to the weight problem? What are your personal eating habits like?

Me thinks:
1. Junk food is everywhere. Fresh fruits and vegetables less so.
2. We eat all the time and are very casual about it. (In the car, between classes, our 15 minute breaks at work, etc).
3. Our portions...are RIDICULOUS.

blueangel06661
11-17-2010, 03:01 PM
I find everyone saying America is fat is stupid. I'm underweight. And actually it's been said in studies that your weight is genetic. Sure if you choose to eat 18772 hamburgers a year chances are you're fat regardless but yeah.

FYI- If you leave the country there are like 0 fat people... Except for obvious tourist... Or so I've heard.. From many different people who travel :/

But we're not all like that.

Skylar1
11-17-2010, 03:04 PM
I dunno, I'm about 40lbs underweight, and I live in the US.

Though I can't say that the US promotes the "healthiest" diet. The Cheapest food is also the worst for you here.

Basically, there are a lot of people who would -like- to eat better, but can't afford it. (same story as with most things here really...)

SigmaSD
11-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Me thinks:
2. We eat all the time and are very casual about it. (In the car, between classes, our 15 minute breaks at work, etc).

Yeah junk food is easier to find than a penny on the ground. -___-

And I agree about the portions. I always have to ask for my food to go, seriously. They expect you to eat for two people or something. That's why if I know I'll be going to a restaurant I don't eat that much all day.

Alphabet
11-17-2010, 03:06 PM
The problem for weight? Everything is taken for granted. Also, you can't stop the bacon and butter. They're pretty much irresistable in my eyes.
ooshy ooshy ooshy

GameGeeks
11-17-2010, 03:07 PM
I can attest to the genetic claim. I've never been skinny, even when I ate healthier as a kid. But yeah, saying America is full of fatties is just stupid. Personally I see a difference between chubby and fat. Fat is where you weigh 400 pounds (obvious can be much less give size and what not). Me, I'm 6'2" and 250, and I'd just consider myself chubby. Though people have joked that I look pregnant since most of it is in my stomach. >.<,

Buruku
11-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I spend a lot of money on groceries because I try to get good quality stuff. -__- It is expensive.

FYI- If you leave the country there are like 0 fat people... Except for obvious tourist... Or so I've heard.. From many different people who travel :/

This is fascinating to me, because it's such a common sight here, and probably why most of the time I don't even think about it.

Lily Rock
11-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Hehe, I used to eat for 3 people, now I eat about, nothing. :D

Skylar1
11-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Hey guys, here's a fun trick~

Take any random food product off the shelfs in a grocery store here in the US and check the so-called "ingredients".

It's quite appalling. I can't even pronounce half the stuff on it, let alone have any idea what it is that I'm eating. But don't worry, you can be certain that it's just cheap filler CRAP that's probably carcinogenic just so they can save a few bucks.

Why should manufactures care about health of the people so long as they're making more of a profit?

GameGeeks
11-17-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm just going to leave this (http://www.expatify.com/news/the-worlds-top-10-fattest-countries.html) here.

blueangel06661
11-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Hey guys, here's a fun trick~

Take any random food product off the shelfs in a grocery store here in the US and check the so-called "ingredients".

It's quite appalling. I can't even pronounce half the stuff on it, let alone have any idea what it is that I'm eating. But don't worry, you can be certain that it's just cheap filler CRAP that's probably carcinogenic just so they can save a few bucks.

Why should manufactures care about health of the people so long as they're making more of a profit?

Actually there's been people who'd buy food from McD's and leave it out for a long time... And it won't break down.... Remember you're eating that stuff.. XD

GameGeeks
11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Actually, that's not because of chemicals. It has to do with the size of the patties. It dries out too fast for mold to take hold.

Uncanny X-Man
11-17-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm just going to leave this (http://www.expatify.com/news/the-worlds-top-10-fattest-countries.html) here.

I'm currently browsing through Samoan professional wrestlers..........and I'm lol'ing at how true it is xD

blueangel06661
11-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Actually, that's not because of chemicals. It has to do with the size of the patties. It dries out too fast for mold to take hold.

I think the meat is included as well. And hot dogs are not considered real meat anymore by walmart. They don't decompose either so they just toss them out or something because there's nothing they can do with them... My mom was telling me what they did with them one day since she works in the grocery area but I forget all the details. But I can't stand the taste of hamburgers so I still eat them anyways ;___;

SigmaSD
11-17-2010, 03:29 PM
But I can't stand the taste of hamburgers so I still eat them anyways ;___;

Why not try veggie patties? They taste good and look delicious. That is if you get the morning star (http://www.morningstarfarms.com/) brand.

GameGeeks
11-17-2010, 03:31 PM
There's also the meatless Big Mac which I hear is good. The ones by me don't carry it.

-GAZKUL-
11-17-2010, 03:47 PM
i find that the stereotypical image of an american is someone who is stupid rather than fat, something which the george bush reinforced magnificantly.

Eris
11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
There's a whole plethora of negative stereotypes attributed to Americans. To compile a list of the ones more commonly encountered, Americans are perceived as
War-mongering
Bible-thumping
Ignorant of geography
Overweight to morbidly obese
Driving nothing but gas-guzzling SUV
Noisy, rude and with a sense misplaced of entitlement

Though I think that stereotypes aside that overweight is a problem in most of the western world.

Miss Moonlight
11-17-2010, 04:19 PM
This is a media image. Because it's reported on the news so much, that is all others see. American society is more obese then they used to be, but that has to do with changes in society and how people live. Everything is instant gratification, no one wants to work for anything or put forth effort.

Laziness seems to be part of the western style for the most part.

Also, Britain also has a large number of obese people, if you watch BBC news. But Americans rarely hear about Obesity in the UK. It just depends on what news your follow, I guess.

Oh, and good link, GameGeeks .

DOOM!
11-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Haha, so is Germany. I always perceived them as the fat neighbor upstairs.

Buruku
11-17-2010, 04:21 PM
There's a whole plethora of negative stereotypes attributed to Americans. To compile a list of the ones more commonly encountered, Americans are perceived as

War-mongering
Bible-thumping
Ignorant of geography
Overweight to morbidly obese
Driving nothing but gas-guzzling SUV
Noisy, rude and with a sense misplaced of entitlement

Though I think that stereotypes aside that overweight is a problem in most of the western world.

*sigh* I've had foreigners try to tell me where Ukraine is as well as try to explain that French is also spoken in Belgium. (I already knew both those things).

*Tsuki*
11-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Considering I just finished off a Health class which talked about nutrition and all that fun stuff, I could go on for hours about what's wrong with America and what's going on with the food industry- but I won't.

I'll answer the questions:

"So, my fellow Americans, how do you feel about being pegged as fat?"
- Well, I've never really been told I'm fat, personally. I'm not underweight, I'm not overweight, I'm just the right size.
But yeah, I've never really seen it that way. From people I've talked to, they all think that Americans are skinny little models. o_O

"What is the biggest thing contributing to the weight problem? "
Processed foods are easy to get and don't cost a lot of money.
It costs more to eat well and most people don't feel they can afford it.

"What are your personal eating habits like?"
- Ehh, about half and half. Part of me eats well, and part of me eats like crap. Started telling my mom about what we were learning in class and she freaked out, now she and my dad are trying to get my family to eat more healthy with home cooked meals and stuff. Still love my chocolate. Though, from now I'm going to hear in the back of my mind, "I hope they realize each time they eat it, they're eating my flesh." *shiver*

Oh yeah, and I really liked Food Inc. (http://www.foodincmovie.com/) *nod*
Hard to watch at times, but overall very moving.

Miss Moonlight
11-17-2010, 04:34 PM
I dunno, I'm about 40lbs underweight, and I live in the US.

Though I can't say that the US promotes the "healthiest" diet. The Cheapest food is also the worst for you here.

Basically, there are a lot of people who would -like- to eat better, but can't afford it. (same story as with most things here really...)

The American lifestyle promotes obesity more than it promotes healthy living. Fast food restaurants are everywhere for "convince", because people can't / don't have time / would rather not cook, you can order food online and basically never leave your house. Technology is great, but in some ways, just makes people a lot lazier than ever before.

The fast food industry knows that obese people and other people who eat poorly keep them in business.

Of course, this can happen anywhere, but the american way of living is just too "busy" to give a crap. I don't see how though; I go to school full time, and I fit workouts and free time in on weekends. If I want food made for me quickly, I walk to subway.

That's not so hard.

Armageddon
11-17-2010, 07:22 PM
I won`t deny, when I saw the portion sizes they provide in America. It is a little ridiculous, honestly it could feed my whole family for dinner back in the Philippines.. And probably have left overs for the animals!

Anyway, I know in 2008 Australia was crowned with being the 'heavyweight champion of the world'. We certainly did not like that one bit. Yes, to an extent some do inherit a certain physique from their parents/grandparents. You can be on a little larger side or to the tall and lanky. However, there are people who are on the very large side then to the other end of the spectrum very enorexic where it can be life threatening with health complications. That's not good at all. I`m not skinny, I don't consider myself to be thin at all; I`m curvy and I love the skin I`m in. I eat what I want, but I still do make sure I take in my two fruit servings and 5 Vegie servings per day, along with excersise (when I have a spare 30 mins!).

I wouldn`t say that American is labelled for being a 'fat' nation. But sit in a shopping mall here in Australia and you will also notice the large amounts of people that are overweight. You walk into our grocery stores and you will find the same junk as you probably would in America. I don`t really see the necessity to magnify that about America, but people do. Also, people do question the intellegence factor in America. With experience on conversing with people in/from America, I must say I find most very switched on, when I think about the people I know here in Australia. I think there is this show, shown on youtobe about some guy walking around with a world map, asking everyday 'citizens' of the streets where specific countries are... And of course you have a laugh with some of the answers; but I come to wonder how many people who would just turn around and tell them to get a real job or actually put them in their place. =/ The media potray things to the public the way they want the public or viewers to see it.

Though on that note, I do agree that America does not have the best public health system.. =/

Light Buster
11-17-2010, 07:25 PM
That's because America has too much resources, in terms of food.

Meenah
11-17-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm not real sure. But its not America's fault for making people fat. Its the people who eats the food and they decide if they want to eat little or overeat. :I It doesn't matter where you're from or your nationality. The stereotype of America being filled with fat people is kind of annoying. >_> Yeah the country is filled with food but its up to people if they wanna be in a healthy diet or just eat whatever the hell the want. idk. It doesn't matter at all.

I eat moderately and I'm American as a citizen. ;/

vassock
11-17-2010, 08:15 PM
I find everyone saying America is fat is stupid. I'm underweight. And actually it's been said in studies that your weight is genetic.
Genetics influence it to different degrees. Genetics can make it more difficult or less difficult to stay in shape. However, it is generally possible even for people with poor weight-related genetics to stay in shape if they have enough determination.

Miss Moonlight
11-17-2010, 08:18 PM

Yea, larger portions seem to be the norm at most restaurants. Don't know why, exactly.

I'm not real sure. But its not America's fault for making people fat. Its the people who eats the food and they decide if they want to eat little or overeat. :I It doesn't matter where you're from or your nationality. The stereotype of America being filled with fat people is kind of annoying. >_> Yeah the country is filled with food but its up to people if they wanna be in a healthy diet or just eat whatever the hell the want. idk. It doesn't matter at all.

I eat moderately and I'm American as a citizen. ;/

Well, it's also how it's marketed. People aren't really responsible for their eating habits, but then again marketing pushes it almost everywhere you go.

Skylar1
11-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Ah, but herein lies the problem; it goes back to what @Miss Moonlight (http://www.animeforum.com/member.php?u=53339): said.

The problem isn't so much that there's too much food, or that there's not enough exercise programs, or.. whatever.

No. The real problem, plan and simple, is laziness. And, say what you will, the stereotypes indeed confirm it. Maybe not to apply to all, but there is definitely a purely cultural attitude that places ones 'health and wellness' as a relatively low priority- which is pretty shocking. But first let's look as to some of the possibilities as to why this is:

I've lived in US my whole life, and I've studied human behavior, and what I've found is that there is a deep-seeded sentiment for a "easy-going" lifestyle- where income is high, and living is simple. People in the US look at those countries such as the ones in Europe and Japan and "worried" (lol) about the well-being of people as they seem to think that they're being "taught, worked, and pushed too hard". And that's not at all the case; it's just that when you live the life of trying to find every conceivable way making your own life "easier", you can bet you'll look at the rest of the world and be completely stump as to why they're so "strained". They're not strained, they're working and living at a normal equilibrium, and the compare and contrast is going to of course look lopsided.

The sentiment carries over into everyday life, where there's a sense of "only work hard until you get what you wanted, and then stop". Then wonder why "people in Japan and other places are so talented". Perhaps it has to do with the fact that human potential far exceeds what you might imagine, but your just too lazy to apply yourself as such to achieve those outstanding goals.

When given the option of either talking a walk outside or watch a tv show on the couch for an hour, which one do you think that the typical american will choose? I'll leave you to come up with your own answer on that one.

My point being, is that there's a mass scale epidemic of people who -choose- not to push themselves because it's "too hard"; not an epidemic of obesity. Just because there's not some law created that says you have to take care of yourself and be healthy and productive, doesn't somehow imply that you shouldn't.

Of course, that's only one piece to the puzzle, as there are many others. But we'll review this whole thing by each segment so we don't start confusing different parts with one another.

Miss Moonlight
11-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Ah, but herein lies the problem; it goes back to what @Miss Moonlight (http://www.animeforum.com/member.php?u=53339): said.

The problem isn't so much that there's too much food, or that there's not enough exercise programs, or.. whatever.

No. The real problem, plan and simple, is laziness. And, say what you will, the stereotypes indeed confirm it. Maybe not to apply to all, but there is definitely a purely cultural attitude that places ones 'health and wellness' as a relatively low priority- which is pretty shocking. But first let's look as to some of the possibilities as to why this is:

The saddest part of this is obesity in young children. Every time I see an obese child, I almost want to brick the parents to the face for not keeping better tabs on their kid's health.

Hanamaru Kunikida
11-17-2010, 08:49 PM
To be honest, you can find me in a fast food restaurant at least once or even twice in a 5 month period, fast food is a killer. Homemade food is healthier so that's why I always go with it.

I agree that the "Americans = Fat" stereotype is kind of silly but I see fast food restaurants EVERYWHERE in here. I see McDonald's, and in the next block I see KFC and in the next I see BK.

Miss Moonlight
11-17-2010, 08:54 PM
To be honest, you can find me in a fast food restaurant at least once or even twice in a 5 month period, fast food is a killer. Homemade food is healthier so that's why I always go with it.

I agree that the "Americans = Fat" stereotype is kind of silly but I see fast food restaurants EVERYWHERE in here. I see McDonald's, and in the next block I see KFC and in the next I see BK.

A mile or so around my area, there are two Mcdonald's right across from each other. It's a hard choice.

Skylar1
11-17-2010, 08:54 PM
The saddest part of this is obesity in young children. Every time I see an obese child, I almost want to brick the parents to the face for not keeping better tabs on their kid's health.
It's not just the parents though, unfortunately.

For starters, one might consider all the "kids meals with a FREE TOY!" that companies use to basically entice kids into eating their garbage.

Miss Moonlight
11-17-2010, 08:57 PM

For starters, one might consider all the "kids meals with a FREE TOY!" that companies use to basically entice kids into eating their garbage.

Yea, marketing is really a corporate evil. The toys are just a lame ploy to stuff kids full of heart disease, and obviously it works.

It's the same thing in supermarkets, where the sugary cereal shelf is at "kid height" so that kids will automatically see it and beg their parents for it.

SigmaSD
11-17-2010, 08:57 PM

Well to be fair they are slowly changing their kids meals to carry more healthier food.

Dr. Evil
11-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Well, the obesity "epidemic", as it is so fondly called by the American media, is insane. Im almost embarassed to know that there a kids in Africa that are dying of hunger, but Americans have the gall to say they wanna supersize everything. I love my country and whatnot but there comes a time when you have to understand, Americans are eating themselves to death. Im 5'6" and my doctor told my Im overweight by a pound and, truth be told, Im mostly muscle from playing sports. But oh well. I think obesity should be dictated by your BMI (Body Mass Index). That my opinion anyway.

Miss Moonlight
11-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Well, the obesity "epidemic", as it is so fondly called by the American media, is insane. Im almost embarassed to know that there a kids in Africa that are dying of hunger, but Americans have the gall to say they wanna supersize everything. I love my country and whatnot but there comes a time when you have to understand, Americans are eating themselves to death. Im 5'6" and my doctor told my Im overweight by a pound and, truth be told, Im mostly muscle from playing sports. But oh well. I think obesity should be dictated by your BMI (Body Mass Index). That my opinion anyway.

Being overweight by a pound is not really all that serious, as long as you're active and have a relatively healthy lifestyle.

Also, BMI is an old way of measuring weight relative to height, and isn't quite as accurate as most people think it is. It depends on gender, activity level, muscle mass and other factors. It's a tool for measuring/estimating, not an exact science.

Skylar1
11-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Well to be fair they are slowly changing their kids meals to carry more healthier food.
HAHA, actually, I'm glad you brought that up.

Do you know why it is that they're doing that? It's because of all the documentaries that pull into focus just what it is that people are eating (aka supersize me, etc.)

AND, not to mention that the specific part about the kids meals having to carry healthier food; that because Congress themselves passed that silly little health care bill that made it basically, illegal for fastfood companies to sell free toys in kids meals with unhealthy food.

Yup, you heard me right. You have to initiate and act of Congress to stop these people from shoving crap down kids throats. If not for the above mentioned, do you think that McDonald's and friends would be serving "alternative healthy meals"?

NO

All they care about is money. Even if that means making everyone fat slobs. Way to go America, way to go.

Fabala
11-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Did you know Australia has recently surpassed the US to be the #1 most overweight country? I think it's close, but it certainly stops people here from teasing me about coming from an overweight country.

I've noticed something about the portion size debate that interests me. In the US, the portions are ridiculously big, agreed. I could rarely finish a restaurant meal no matter what I ordered. On the upside, taking it home meant I could get another one (or even two) meals out of it. I love that there's a general acceptance of doggie bags and servers aren't startled to have one requested. Heck, in my experience it's something typically offered. Out here in Australia the portion sizes have increased a great deal as well, even over the last few years. Not quite to the US size, but not lagging far behind. However, doggie bags have NOT caught on. In my experience here, you're expected to either clear your plate or throw away food. I balk at both, personally, not always being able to eat it all while also being raised not to waste food. The first time I requested a container to bring leftovers home in, my dining companions were horrified. The server was surprised, somewhat reluctant, but did manage to scrounge up a plastic container for me. Altogether not terribly encouraging reactions. The result is that I simply don't eat out very often, usually relying on my own cooking. At least I can control my own portion sizes, and leftovers never go to waste.

I was about the same weight for a huge chunk of my teenage and adult life. Thanks to going off a medication, that changed. Nothing too drastic, but as there had been no changes in diet or exercise it was the only logical explanation. My diet has always been decent, with lots of fruit and vegetables, and no meat outside of chicken and turkey. I do the household cooking and favor dishes with chicken or turkey in combination with lots of vegetables (chili being a favorite). I have a sweet tooth (for chocolate in particular), but my rule is that on days I indulge it, I also have to step up the daily exercise. I've also recently been cutting back on gluten and increasing the leafy dark green veggies (in particular spinach). I also hate the "stuffed" feeling and so stop eating when I'm comfortably full or satiated. I'm teased for my slow eating speed, but it is in fact better for you, and helps me to recognize when I've had enough.

Dr. Evil
11-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Being overweight by a pound is not really all that serious, as long as you're active and have a relatively healthy lifestyle.

Also, BMI is an old way of measuring weight relative to height, and isn't quite as accurate as most people think it is. It depends on gender, activity level, muscle mass and other factors. It's a tool for measuring/estimating, not an exact science.

Well Im relatively active. Im not a fitness guru but I do okay. I jog AT LEAST 5 miles a week and I diet regularly. However, you're right on the BMI thing. But it seems that the whole scale thingy isnt working out to well either. And just because someone is overweight, doesn't mean they're unhealthy. I know someone who weighs in excess of 300 pounds and they are atheletic, cholesterol is low, triglycerides are normal, BP is in the safe range and insulin levels are perfect. It goes back to genetics at this point. And get this, this person never exercises.

Miss Moonlight
11-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Well Im relatively active. Im not a fitness guru but I do okay. I jog AT LEAST 5 miles a week and I diet regularly. However, you're right on the BMI thing. But it seems that the whole scale thingy isnt working out to well either. And just because someone is overweight, doesn't mean they're unhealthy. I know someone who weighs in excess of 300 pounds and they are atheletic, cholesterol is low, triglycerides are normal, BP is in the safe range and insulin levels are perfect. It goes back to genetics at this point. And get this, this person never exercises.

Are they muscular at all?

Dr. Evil
11-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Are they muscular at all?

More chub than anything, lets say that much.

Anoleis
11-17-2010, 09:18 PM
You have to initiate and act of Congress to stop these people from shoving crap down kids throats.

I have yet to see a small child be forced to eat junk food.

All they care about is money.

Way to go Captain Obvious.

Way to go America, way to go.

McDonald's is everywhere, people are not required to eat there.

Miss Moonlight
11-17-2010, 09:29 PM

No, it just makes it easier. Put a bunch of them within each other, and many people would for some reason want to go there instead of cooking themselves or eating at another place. It doesn't have to be required to be a problem.

Skylar1
11-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Why are they then? Must be magic or something why they're eating McDonalds

I really see you doing anything about the problem

then why is it that so many do?

Hanamaru Kunikida
11-17-2010, 09:43 PM
No, it just makes it easier. Put a bunch of them within each other, and many people would for some reason want to go there instead of cooking themselves or eating at another place. It doesn't have to be required to be a problem.

I was about to say the same thing but you took the words out my mouth.

Some people don't have the time to make a meal/can't cook so their alternate is go to a fast food restaurant.

SigmaSD
11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
I was about to say but you took the words out my mouth.

Some people don't have the time to make a meal/can't cook so their alternate is go to a fast food restaurant.

Exactly. Especially those people that work 40+ hours just trying to get by.

Scarlet//Hakai
11-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Honestly I don't think it's just the food that effects people, while yes, I agree, it does have a decent effect. The school I'm currently attending has plenty of health things going on, but there is still a decent amount of large people. Also P.E. isn't required, and even if you do take it, it's only for a month. Where as in another one that sold McDonnalds in the cafeteria had only a few large people, and had P.E. every day (every other day for the sixth graders.)

Also if somewhere is really popular, like a tourist area, large companies like McDonnalds would probably want to have at least a few shops there. So then the amount of fast food there increases.

And there's always metabolism and how isolated from the world they are.

Kyubi-no-kitsune
11-17-2010, 09:54 PM
i'm a 7ft tall guy who is a american and i weigh about 250 but i dont look like i weigh that much due to my height also when i was a exchange student in japan they are haveing a prob with more kids becomeing to heavy

Anoleis
11-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Why are they then? Must be magic or something why they're eating McDonalds

It tastes good to them, it's all about preference. You stick a burger in front of a hungry small child and they'll eat it; the same goes for a stick of celery with organic peanut butter and raisins.

I really see you doing anything about the problem

A business wanting to make money?! Oh lords above, what next?

then why is it that so many do?
It's cheap and fast. People have always searched for the quickest route to what they want; no Neanderthal would waste it's time hunting lively prey when there is an easier target.

And said problem is being assessed. I agree that said bill is necessary, but when people complain about some place they eat and still purchase from said business; the hypocrisy is just silly.

Armageddon
11-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Did you know Australia has recently surpassed the US to be the #1 most overweight country? I think it's close, but it certainly stops people here from teasing me about coming from an overweight country.

I've noticed something about the portion size debate that interests me. In the US, the portions are ridiculously big, agreed. I could rarely finish a restaurant meal no matter what I ordered. On the upside, taking it home meant I could get another one (or even two) meals out of it. I love that there's a general acceptance of doggie bags and servers aren't startled to have one requested. Heck, in my experience it's something typically offered. Out here in Australia the portion sizes have increased a great deal as well, even over the last few years. Not quite to the US size, but not lagging far behind. However, doggie bags have NOT caught on. In my experience here, you're expected to either clear your plate or throw away food. I balk at both, personally, not always being able to eat it all while also being raised not to waste food. The first time I requested a container to bring leftovers home in, my dining companions were horrified. The server was surprised, somewhat reluctant, but did manage to scrounge up a plastic container for me. Altogether not terribly encouraging reactions. The result is that I simply don't eat out very often, usually relying on my own cooking. At least I can control my own portion sizes, and leftovers never go to waste.

I was about the same weight for a huge chunk of my teenage and adult life. Thanks to going off a medication, that changed. Nothing too drastic, but as there had been no changes in diet or exercise it was the only logical explanation. My diet has always been decent, with lots of fruit and vegetables, and no meat outside of chicken and turkey. I do the household cooking and favor dishes with chicken or turkey in combination with lots of vegetables (chili being a favorite). I have a sweet tooth (for chocolate in particular), but my rule is that on days I indulge it, I also have to step up the daily exercise. I've also recently been cutting back on gluten and increasing the leafy dark green veggies (in particular spinach). I also hate the "stuffed" feeling and so stop eating when I'm comfortably full or satiated. I'm teased for my slow eating speed, but it is in fact better for you, and helps me to recognize when I've had enough.

Indeed you are right, love. We have become the fattest 'nation' in the world. The latest figure shows that 4 million Australians or 26% of the adult population are obese whereas US has about 25%. A further 5 million Australians are considered overweight.

We are absolutely following in the foot steps of proportion and serving sizes of America...
Our average volume of softdrink consumed per person per year in the 70's was at 47 Litres.
in the 2000's 113 Litres.
Fast food burger fat content is twice the level today than it was 20 years ago.
Back then it was average 12-24 grams; and now 24-42 grams.
And a standard packet of chips size in the 70's was at 30 grams; and now is at 50 grams.
Just a few examples how we have increased our consumption of these 'junk' foods.

Yes, it`s very true that people are more prone to take the 'easy' street when feeding their families or themselves. Buying breakfast on the way into work, fast food for lunch, then grabbing a quick dinner on the way home. I see this in my office everyday, and being in this sort of work environment; every 15 minute break most of my collgues go down and grab a coffee and usually it`s accompanied with a biscuit or muffin. Majority of our population is a very lazy one.

As when it comes to the marketing demons of our very sucessful companies; such a McDonalds, KFC, Coca-Cola. You know the giants out there that pump millions to billions amounts of money to advertise on TV, News papers, Billboards.. etc. and quite frankly.. It`s working, people still buy it and eat the stuff.. They might have "Healthy" options on their menus and can advertise them as in a Burger with a slad and coke? WTF? What`s the purpose of that. It`s like telling consumers that 'it's okay to eat a large burger and coke if you have salad with it' ~ It`s the same as eating a block of chocolate then after eating an apple and saying it negates itself :s

Capitán
11-17-2010, 11:21 PM

Part of the negative trend of obesity is that children acquire it from their parents. The habit of eating alot, not the genes. I've seen many families where the parents are a little bit overweight.. and you guessed it.. so is their kid(s).

Socio-culturally, the topic of obesity only seems like a serious topic and though it is, its being put aside in the real world more often than not.

Btw, I've noticed McDonalds being mentioned alot on here. Yes the company had been attacked in all directions concerning obesity and good health in general, yet they've been in the forefront in the fast food industry for years. They have a notorious advertising campaign in addition to branching out to even health conscious countries such as Japan, and still going strong.

Meenah
11-17-2010, 11:53 PM

I've lived in US my whole life, and I've studied human behavior, and what I've found is that there is a deep-seeded sentiment for a "easy-going" lifestyle- where income is high, and living is simple. People in the US look at those countries such as the ones in Europe and Japan and "worried" (lol) about the well-being of people as they seem to think that they're being "taught, worked, and pushed too hard". And that's not at all the case; it's just that when you live the life of trying to find every conceivable way making your own life "easier", you can bet you'll look at the rest of the world and be completely stump as to why they're so "strained". They're not strained, they're working and living at a normal equilibrium, and the compare and contrast is going to of course look lopsided.

The sentiment carries over into everyday life, where there's a sense of "only work hard until you get what you wanted, and then stop". Then wonder why "people in Japan and other places are so talented". Perhaps it has to do with the fact that human potential far exceeds what you might imagine, but your just too lazy to apply yourself as such to achieve those outstanding goals.

When given the option of either talking a walk outside or watch a tv show on the couch for an hour, which one do you think that the typical american will choose? I'll leave you to come up with your own answer on that one.

My point being, is that there's a mass scale epidemic of people who -choose- not to push themselves because it's "too hard"; not an epidemic of obesity. Just because there's not some law created that says you have to take care of yourself and be healthy and productive, doesn't somehow imply that you shouldn't.

Of course, that's only one piece to the puzzle, as there are many others. But we'll review this whole thing by each segment so we don't start confusing different parts with one another.

Aw man. You now make it sound like I've been in America for 2 weeks. xD I grew up in America since I was this many year old. *hold out one finger* Mmhm. n_n

Now with everything else you just said makes sense. Its all reasonable, well other than that it saddens me. BUT it doesn't bother me completely.
The stereotype thing about America being fat can't be stopped right away, being healthy and doing something good for yourself will just do fine. c: At least some people are in the category of being healthy and active, right?~

Skylar1
11-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Aw man. You now make it sound like I've been in America for 2 weeks. xD I grew up in America since I was this many year old. *hold out one finger* Mmhm. n_n

Now with everything else you just said makes sense. Its all reasonable, well other than that it saddens me. BUT it doesn't bother me completely.
The stereotype thing about America being fat can't be stopped right away, being healthy and doing something good for yourself will just do fine. c: At least some people are in the category of being healthy and active, right?~
indeed, there are always such exceptions. But I still see trends that are likely to continue, and the do make Eric quite sadface. u_u

Rei
11-18-2010, 03:03 AM
Heard about it. It was in the local papers; some American state having the highest percentage of obese/overweight people. Apparently fast food is easier and cheaper to get hold of than fresh food, resulting in high obesity rates. I don't think all Americans are fat. It has to do with genetics, and the kind of metabolism you're born with.

Conversely, over here, McD's and every other fast food is more expensive than your regular food from the market/foodcourts.

Mac
11-18-2010, 05:04 AM
I find everyone saying America is fat is stupid. I'm underweight. And actually it's been said in studies that your weight is genetic. Sure if you choose to eat 18772 hamburgers a year chances are you're fat regardless but yeah.
That may explain something even though I don't eat that much.

ANYWAYS.

Stereotypical image of the American to me isn't necessarily the "average obese American" but more "average Texan redneck" ... usually I end up thinking about someone with a beer belly, who wears a flannel vest and a trucker cap and carries around a shotgun.

I guess that probably IS what happens in Texas but -shrug.- I know 99% of people it's not true. Then again the Americans think us Brits all sound like Vinny Jones (apparently you all base our accents from Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels) or that we walk around in bowler hats and monocles. We're often as bad as you guys xD

American food portions are ridiculous btw. How much is a Big Mac in your country? Because it's £2 here (equates to about $3) for something that actually isn't that big. Then again I don't eat McDonalds, but this kinda gives the idea of the scope of the obesity problem; large and cheap portions of junk food, more readily available than healthy but more expensive foods.

Super Size portions got banned here. Even so, there's a lot of obese people in England. I mean REALLY obese. Like people that put me completely off of my chicken salad sandwich because I can't comprehend how they got so large. ~_~''

blueangel06661
11-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Part of the negative trend of obesity is that children acquire it from their parents. The habit of eating alot, not the genes. I've seen many families where the parents are a little bit overweight.. and you guessed it.. so is their kid(s).

No scientific studies have shown that your weight is a part of your genes. Some kids are just born with more fat after their parents or are born with less. My niece is a chubby kid but she eats correctly but her parents are fat so she just inherited it from them. And I'm underweight I inherited my size from my father who was a small man. Listen I eat the most unhealthy foods ever when ever I feel like it. Pshh I'm not going to lie. But I still weigh 85lbs at the age of 18 when most girls my age weigh over 110 so it's not always the food. There are soooo many different factors in it. But people like Americans like to point fingers for things so we obviously point them to the food.

Eris
11-18-2010, 05:15 AM
No scientific studies have shown that your weight is a part of your genes. Some kids are just born with more fat after their parents or are born with less. My niece is a chubby kid but she eats correctly but her parents are fat so she just inherited it from them. And I'm underweight I inherited my size from my father who was a small man. Listen I eat the most unhealthy foods ever when ever I feel like it. Pshh I'm not going to lie. But I still weigh 85lbs at the age of 18 when most girls my age weigh over 110 so it's not always the food. There are soooo many different factors in it. But people like Americans like to point fingers for things so we obviously point them to the food.

This can still be the case with genetic traits. Genes are probably at least partially related to your weight, but not to the extent where you can blame them for it. In the end, if you gain weight, you're overeating.

Mac
11-18-2010, 01:58 PM
This can still be the case with genetic traits. Genes are probably at least partially related to your weight, but not to the extent where you can blame them for it. In the end, if you gain weight, you're overeating.
Metabolism is an issue as well; some people just naturally have a higher (or lower) metabolism.

..... :/

Miss Moonlight
11-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Metabolism is an issue as well; some people just naturally have a higher (or lower) metabolism.

..... :/

I hear this all the time. Usually, it isn't a case of just a low metabolism, but a case of poor diet which leads to low energy, which leads to low metabolism because you're likely doing nothing to raise your metabolism, which leaves you where you are.

So, people stay like that and then go "Oh, I can't lose weight, it's just my LOW metabolism!" Orly? what are you doing to increase it?

Certain foods and activities can increase it, which may raise your metabolism and therefore allow you to burn more calories.

GameGeeks
11-18-2010, 02:21 PM
While I agree poor diet is an issue and does effect your metabolism, it is possible for you to have a genetically low metabolism. There's two cases for low and one case for high in my immediate family. My mother and I have low and my youngest brother has high. In fact my younger brother ate more junk then I do and he's a bean sprout. Or was before becoming a member of the Air Force.

Skylar1
11-18-2010, 02:26 PM
While I agree poor diet is an issue and does effect your metabolism, it is possible for you to have a genetically low metabolism. There's two cases for low and one case for high in my immediate family. My mother and I have low and my youngest brother has high. In fact my younger brother ate more junk then I do and he's a bean sprout. Or was before becoming a member of the Air Force.
Yeah, but regardless of how "low" your metabolism is naturally. Simple Exercise will automatically increase it.

Fun fact: Someone who races in the Tour De France will need to consume (on average) 7,000 calories a day*, -just- to break even; due to their excursion.

so yeah, One's activity greatly affect one's metabolism even if the default is slightly higher or lower. Nobodies saying you can't eat as much as you want, but if you do, you should be prepared to to actually USE all that extra energy that the food is supposed to be providing for.

*The normal average is somewhere around 2,000 per day.

GameGeeks
11-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Exercise goes without saying if I'm not arguing diet. I was just arguing that it does play an effect since both my brother and I weren't very active.

Miss Moonlight
11-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, but regardless of how "low" your metabolism is naturally. Simple Exercise will automatically increase it.

Fun fact: Someone who races in the Tour De France will need to consume (on average) 7,000 calories a day*, -just- to break even; due to their excursion.

so yeah, One's activity greatly affect one's metabolism even if the default is slightly higher or lower. Nobodies saying you can't eat as much as you want, but if you do, you should be prepared to to actually USE all that extra energy that the food is supposed to be providing for.

*The normal average is somewhere around 2,000 per day.

Indeed. I consume (because I log it) around 1,300 a day. Sometimes a little more if i've had more exercise that day, but not too much more.

I've found that homemade fruit smoothies made with 1% milk and fresh fruit give me a boost of energy during the day.

Eris
11-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Indeed. I consume (because I log it) around 1,300 a day. Sometimes a little more if i've had more exercise that day, but not too much more.

I've found that homemade fruit smoothies made with 1% milk and fresh fruit give me a boost of energy during the day.

1300 probably a bit on the low side. If you eat too few calories, your body will think you're starving, and attempt to save fat for the long run, making weight-loss slow and inefficient, and followed by massive weight-gain.

Miss Moonlight
11-18-2010, 03:19 PM
1300 probably a bit on the low side. If you eat too few calories, your body will think you're starving, and attempt to save fat for the long run, making weight-loss slow and inefficient, and followed by massive weight-gain.

It was originally 1,500-1,600. After losing about 44lbs, I had to lower it so that my new lower weight would adjust to it.

On a very active day, I expend around 2,000 (give or take) calories, on a not-so active day, around 1,600. I usually lose or break even, anyway.

justin.
11-18-2010, 05:09 PM
lot of sodium and meat

Wio
11-18-2010, 06:03 PM

This is bullshit. Most of the Americans I know are very hard workers. Perhaps you would tell me that the lazy ones are hiding under a rock? Many Americans simply don't prioritize their health as much as they do their careers.
What it comes down to is that American culture has overcome the "Haha you're a fatty" attitude, and as a result less people prioritize their weight (or their health in general) than they should. You have people rioting in France because their retirement age was lowered 2 years, and yet their obesity rate is less.

Here's some ol' bull crap. Americans don't wonder why people in Japan are so talented: you've just been hanging around otaku too much.

I'm an America. I almost never watch T.V. I have spent more time walking than watching T.V. (though still not enough). This is just a stupid question really, because these sorts of dilemmas depend more heavily on mood rather than personality.

It's a matter of priority. Some people have not tried at all to deal with their weight because they prioritize other things first. Some people don't have the discipline. Some people fluctuate between heavy and light. My mom has always struggled with her weight and has put a serious honest effort into losing it, but it just hasn't worked out very well for her.

Capitán
11-18-2010, 06:19 PM

And rightly so. Obesity contributes less to the makings of an offspring compared to skin color, hair type, etc.

Yukitomon
11-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Watching Wall-E should be state-mandated XD. That might make a dent.

Elukien
11-18-2010, 07:45 PM
I like fat people, they are soo squishy. Though America, from what i hear, have really big people. Could be Genetic, depression, or they just love to eat.

Shinn Kamiyra
11-18-2010, 08:22 PM
So, my fellow Americans, how do you feel about being pegged as fat? What is the biggest thing contributing to the weight problem? What are your personal eating habits like?

Me thinks:

In all fairness (http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html), almost all of the States have obesity rates of at least 20%, and a majority will have at least a rate of 25%. I believe it's because society has become increasingly characterized of environments that promote eating more, unhealthy foods; and worse than that in my opinion, a lack of physical activity. It's disheartening to be sure, but it is what it is. Regardless, I have little doubt that it's going to get even worse before it gets better.

My personal eating habits could use some improvement, to be honest. I still indulge myself in the occasional fast food stop more than I should and I could use more vegetables and fruits on a daily basis. Still, it's nothing so worrisome that I've gained any weight or had any adverse effects on my overall health. A bit of work here and there and I should be set.

Miss Moonlight
11-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Well, aside from the obvious over consumption and low activity levels, there's the socioeconomic problems involved. Obesity is not something that just afflicts "bad" or otherwise "lazy" people, but people in different economic groups that may have little choice.

Cheap food is more readily available in mass quantities whenever and however you want it. Therefore, people with low incomes usually eat what they can afford. The quality of the food is low, and combined with a low activity level and other issues, obesity is an obvious outcome. Also, it doesn't need to be said more than once that anyone of any size can be unhealthy and eat crap.

People with higher incomes can afford better food, but that doesn't always nessasarily mean that they eat better food. Also, many overweight people are just people who have tried to lose weight in the past and simply failed -- it's not an easy thing to do, especially when you have no resources or help. Furthermore, a visual judgement is simply visual and inaccurate at best. Many hardworking people are obese, and not exactly "lazy", but you'd never know it.

The problem is, as others have said, health is really not a huge priority to everyone in our fast-paced, want-it-now, busy society, so they try to fit it in edgewise, or not at all. The issues are far more complex than they really seem.

Shinn Kamiyra
11-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Well, aside from the obvious over consumption and low activity levels, there's the socioeconomic problems involved. Obesity is not something that just afflicts "bad" or otherwise "lazy" people, but people in different economic groups that may have little choice.

Cheap food is more readily available in mass quantities whenever and however you want it. Therefore, people with low incomes usually eat what they can afford. The quality of the food is low, and combined with a low activity level and other issues, obesity is an obvious outcome. Also, it doesn't need to be said more than once that anyone of any size can be unhealthy and eat crap.

People with higher incomes can afford better food, but that doesn't always nessasarily mean that they eat better food. Also, many overweight people are just people who have tried to lose weight in the past and simply failed -- it's not an easy thing to do, especially when you have no resources or help. Furthermore, a visual judgement is simply visual and inaccurate at best. Many hardworking people are obese, and not exactly "lazy", but you'd never know it.

The problem is, as others have said, health is really not a huge priority to everyone in our fast-paced, want-it-now, busy society, so they try to fit it in edgewise, or not at all. The issues are far more complex than they really seem.

Interesting. That would certainly fall in line with the striking increase in state-wide obesity with regards to the recent economic depression. So then, do you believe that the obesity rating will begin to improve once more jobs are back in circulation and people won't have to worry so much about their next meal? Or will the trends that they have picked up be carried on and persist into the far future?

Miss Moonlight
11-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Interesting. That would certainly fall in line with the striking increase in state-wide obesity with regards to the recent economic depression. So then, do you believe that the obesity rating will begin to improve once more jobs are back in circulation and people won't have to worry so much about their next meal? Or will the trends that they have picked up be carried on and persist into the far future?

Well, cost is just one issue. Bad habits and the availability of fast food places will always exist, so i'd say little to not likely. It depends on where you live and I guess what decisions you make personally.

Then again, there are just these people who like to "live large" and really don't care what they eat, as long as they like it. For them, it's not really a big concern.

-Ro-
11-18-2010, 09:56 PM
My anatomy instructor said you can eat as much as you want and not gain weight as long as you exercise enough... I'm guessing the biggest factor contributing to obesity is people are not doing enough regular physical activity, whether it's due to lack of time or incentive to do so. My instructor also said adipose, or fat, cells don't die, and that's why losing weight can be a lifelong struggle for some people. I actually like to exercise so I've never had weight issues.

Miss Moonlight
11-18-2010, 10:24 PM
My anatomy instructor said you can eat as much as you want and not gain weight as long as you exercise enough

Not gain weight maybe, that doesn't mean that eating a poor diet and not gaining visible weight from it, is a healthy thing to do. High cholesterol and other issues depending on your diet will still exist.

Fabala
11-19-2010, 01:41 AM
I hear this all the time. Usually, it isn't a case of just a low metabolism, but a case of poor diet which leads to low energy, which leads to low metabolism because you're likely doing nothing to raise your metabolism, which leaves you where you are.

So, people stay like that and then go "Oh, I can't lose weight, it's just my LOW metabolism!" Orly? what are you doing to increase it?

Certain foods and activities can increase it, which may raise your metabolism and therefore allow you to burn more calories.
Absolutely. While it seems true that some people naturally have a much faster metabolism, that doesn't mean someone who doesn't is unable to make changes in that direction. Exercise, improvement in diet, and smaller, more frequent, meals will all increase metabolism rate. Something else people should keep in mind is that having a fast metabolism when young doesn't mean you'll always have one. If you take advantage and have poor eating habits, they will come back to bite you one day.

Aleyna
11-19-2010, 03:04 AM
Every place you go there's stereotypes and you don't really get to know the place until you have lived there for a bit, not just visited it quick.

Mac
11-19-2010, 03:08 AM

Well that may be true, but also what GameGeeks said is correct. If you naturally have a lower metabolism, then exercising and keeping it higher is going to be more of a challenge for you than someone who has a naturally higher metabolism.

I'm one of those people with a naturally low metabolism, and when I was at college I did a LOT of exercise and actually started eating properly (played a lot of basketball back then, also a lot of skateboarding) and despite that I was still classed as 'overweight' although I never really looked it due to being tall. I also fell asleep a lot during class ... didn't help. >_>

Maybe that's the deal with a lot of Americans; they see people who can eat a ton of junk and not gain weight and can't comprehend it because either their lifestyle isn't so active or they just don't have the same sort of metabolism, and they think "screw this" and just give up on it. -shrug.-

Kanjoudakai_Ira
11-19-2010, 03:19 AM
I live in Romania and the "fat syndrome" is not so common here. Might have something to do with the fact that people are poor?

Shinn Kamiyra
11-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Absolutely. While it seems true that some people naturally have a much faster metabolism, that doesn't mean someone who doesn't is unable to make changes in that direction. Exercise, improvement in diet, and smaller, more frequent, meals will all increase metabolism rate. Something else people should keep in mind is that having a fast metabolism when young doesn't mean you'll always have one. If you take advantage and have poor eating habits, they will come back to bite you one day.

Drinking water before one takes to a meal can also be pretty helpful. Drinking a small glass about half an hour before a meal, let's say breakfast or dinner, can help curb your appetite before you feel full. It's an easy way to cut down on portions and not have you craving more afterward.

Acnologia
11-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Canada has a lot of the same problem. The thing is that such food is cheaper and easier to prepare, not a lot of people want to spend time cooking a good meal.