PDA

View Full Version : Mac vs PC Debate in my Class

TheThunderBringer
11-09-2010, 04:09 PM
So my Debate I class is...well...debating. We all got to choose one of the lots of topics and a partner that we'll argue against. We couldn't really come to a mutual agreement as to what we would debate about, so we ended up just doing Mac vs PC. Only problem is, I've been using a PC for basically my entire life, and have only really used my brother's Mac for any substantial period of time (not enough).

So, can all you Mac savvy forum-goers list some reasons why Mac is better than PC?
Much appreciated. (I hope this is allowed to go here...)

Mr. Panda
11-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Go to any macforum, make a topic and say Windows is better.

You'll get your answer there.

wizz-o-matic
11-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Go to any macforum, make a topic and say Windows is better.

You'll get your answer there.

but he's asking about pc and not windows

there's no much difference, they pretty much use the same components .... you just pay them triple or more when you get them as "mac"

GameGeeks
11-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Not really, from what I've heard, Macs tend to have their components shelled in and can't be switched out like you can with a PC. Also some basic things in windows (OS, PC can't really be run without one) are missing, like folder organization and customization. As for advantages, It tends to be better at things like media production. And before anyone corrects me, this is just what I've been told. I haven't used a Mac since roughly the third grade. Which was roughly fourteen years ago.

Eris
11-10-2010, 02:57 AM
Modern macs use the same hardware. You can install windows on a mac. You can install MacOS on any PC (it's illegal, but technically possible.)

Anoleis
11-10-2010, 07:57 AM
I can get on Google from either one, so I don't really see why the whole "Mac vs PC" is so exceedingly relevant to debating...

Mr. Panda
11-10-2010, 10:57 AM
but he's asking about pc and not windows

there's no much difference, they pretty much use the same components .... you just pay them triple or more when you get them as "mac"

Generally PCs are known as computers with Windows. Just sayin'.

miniPhil
11-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I can only use Final Cut on a mac so for that reason its good. Not good enough to get one but it is something that doesn't make me hate mac completely.
On the pc side of things, I don't need to hold ctrl to right click.

Eris
11-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Generally PCs are known as computers with Windows. Just sayin'.

PC or not is only hardware. Any system that is backwards compatible with an IBM PC is a PC. And CPU design is all about backwards compatibility. You can still run code written for an Intel 8086 on a modern PC.

TheAsterisk!
11-10-2010, 05:06 PM
PC or not is only hardware. Any system that is backwards compatible with an IBM PC is a PC. And CPU design is all about backwards compatibility. You can still run code written for an Intel 8086 on a modern PC.
This, or it becomes exclusively an issue of language, defining what "personal computer" means (in which case they'd still both be PCs, anyway).

You could always throw up your arms and shout "False dilemma!" with crazed eyes if it's about the OS, too, but I'm guessing the debate will be explicitly constrained to "Mac" versus "PC," so it might not be a good idea with that in mind.