PDA

View Full Version : [Help - Hardware] Portable Hard Drives

Alphabet
10-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Is there any specific external/mobile hard drives that are durable and have at least 7400 rpm?
I've looked at several brands already: Western Digital, LaCie, Seagate, SuperTalent, Hitachi, Toshiba, and many others but all of them look intimidating to me.
I'm looking for : Portable/Mobile/external hard drive, USB 2.0, 7400 rpm, USB powered(no external power plugs), durability, 500GB-1TB, attractiveness is optional. I want to be able to carry it around to school everyday, and I also want to test a virtual pc software called mojopac from Ringcube studios.
Can someone also explain what firewire is also? I see it a lot but I never managed to figure it out.

Right now, Seagate's Freeagent GoFlex Pro Ultra-portable drive looks good, but I want to see other options. I used to have two western digital elite essentials, and a seagate hard drive, but they all stopped working within a few months of use, and one stopped working after I dropped it on a hardwood floor. My poor babies, I cherish my technology.
ooshy ooshy ooshy

OminousCloud
11-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Delayed response is delayed...

I don't know about rpm... but I use a western digital 500GB my passport. I've had it for almost a year and I've never had any problems with it.

GameGeeks
11-14-2010, 11:16 AM
You could always check newegg (http://www.newegg.com/store/category.aspx?Category=15&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA). Sorry, can't be much help but it does seem to contain what you're looking for and if you want to buy locally you could just use it as a reference.