PDA

View Full Version : [Help - Windows] Deleting OS's

Srk
10-10-2010, 03:01 AM
I just recently aquired this laptop, and it had Windows 2000 on it. I installed my custom OS, and it left most of W2K's files. I can't access that OS anymore, so.. Is it safe to go into C: and delete the OS? Or is there a better way?

Ashminigun
10-10-2010, 03:28 AM
I'm assuming you're using the same partition as the previous OS (Windows 2k). If you're installing XP on the laptop, it's a better practice to do clean installation; re-format and then install the XP. Since XP and 2000 are using the similar kernel, it will might cause some problem in the future especially you don't perform maintenance on your registry regularly. If you're using Linux distro and didn't intend to continue using Windows, I think will not cause you any problem if you delete it.

TomoyoSakagami
10-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Just to back up Durians answer, it would be best for you to do a clean installation. If you still need some of the files, then transfer them onto an external hard drive or pen drive then do a fresh installation.

Hanamaru Kunikida
10-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Yes, always back up when you're going to re-format and install/re-install, unless you have a virus or something.

What the gentlemen above said should cut the cake though.