PDA

View Full Version : 3D Technology: Are 3DTVs & 3D Glasses Really All That?

.:neuko:.
10-08-2010, 01:03 PM
About a month ago I went to the movie theatre to see Toy Story 3 3D. Given the success of TS1 and TS2, I was in no doubt that I'd enjoy TS33D at least as much as the prequels, whether the additional 3D counterpart was any good or not. Thankfully, the 3D technology was every bit as impressive as the movie itself... and I have to admit, my jaw dropped at the unbelievable depth of the visuals. Even the smallest details I didn't expect to look 3D looked 3D... like for example, when I was looking at the scene of a garden, I could pick out every blade of grass as a separate 3D object. Anyway... I left the movie theater feeling very impressed with both TS33D and the 3D technology behind it.

But... somehow, a few weeks later I found myself forgetting about the 3D visuals of TS33D. So, in an effort to remember the experience, I walked into a Sony store and decided to try out their new flagship 3DTV model with a pair of so-called "active" 3D glasses. Surely enough, the 3D sensation that impressed me in the movie theatre was all here as well - to say nothing of the visual quality. But... and this a big but... the flickery display was horribly jarring... and no doubt the reason I ended up with a splitting headache afterwards. Side effects from these 3D glasses were not on my list of expectations - and the unpleasant nasal sensation around my eyes and forehead took the best part of an hour to go away afterwards. Sony claim that their active 3D glasses are superior to passive (i.e conventional) 3D glasses; their argument being that active 3D glasses can pass full-resolution (1080p) 3D images as opposed to passive 3D glasses, which can only pass interlaced (1080i) 3D images. Unfortunately, and as I discovered, the technology that supposedly makes active 3D glasses better is also the reason for the flickery display of the percieved 3D images; hence the following headache... But however meaningful Sony's claims may be, it seems they're trying to justify the higher price point of their 3D glasses, which clock in at around £50. Passive 3D glasses on the other hand are sold for as little as £0.80 in movie theatres. As for comparing image quality between the 2 types of 3D glasses, well... I can't say I noticed any difference at all.

3D glasses aside though, there is one other thing about 3D technology that does concern me: Well, to be more specific, it's not that I have a problem with the technology itself; but rather, I have a problem with how it's applied in 3D movies, 3DTV programmes, and 3D games (although the latter is more forgiveable). Toy Story 3 3D was impressive (as I implied before)... but at the time my expectations of 3D technology were different to what they are now. With it being my first "3D experience" I wanted the technology to knock my socks off; it had to obvious; the evidence had to be clear... and TS33D certainly had no problems in meeting those expectations! At every moment it was saying to me "Look at me! Look at me! I'm in 3D!"

The thing is, 3D in the real world isn't so loud; that's why I percieve it as natural. However, the visual results of 3D technology thus far have been anything but natural... For instance, in TS33D, there was no shortage of 3D depth in the visuals - but also that was the problem... There was just too much 3D depth in the visuals, and many areas simply looked as if the 3D depth had been forced. It was almost as if the movie was making more of a statement about the technology than the concept of 3D itself. For instance, in one of the scenes, even the smallest of items lying on the floor in Andy's bedroom had so much 3D depth as to appear unnatural... almost as if they were hovering rather than sitting. Maybe some people are OK with that, but personally I don't want to be treated like a child who's never seen 3D before... I mean I live in it for God's sake!

But even though I have certain issues with 3D technology... I'm still in favour of it. I only hope that future movies, TV programmes and games stop advertising the technology and start considering the idea of using it more appropriately to relflect 3D in the real world.

Anyway... thoughts anyone?

Anoleis
10-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Quite personally I nixed the entire HD/3D/Blu-ray revolution. I find that HD Televisions have a sort of texture to the out put which makes all the spectacular claims to be utter BS. 3D televisions are just plain ridiculous, I don't see what all the hype is for.

Hanamaru Kunikida
10-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Personally, by the economy's standard's, it's a waste of money...Like, most og these TVs are from 6000-28000. O_o

I also think 3D gaming, at least how the PS3 is doing it is retarded...It's eye killers.

Eris
10-09-2010, 08:40 AM
It's just a gimmick to sell new TV equipment. At the state of the technology today, it's just not viable. Glasses and forced depth is amusing at first, but quickly grows annoying.

HumanoidTyphoon
10-09-2010, 06:22 PM
3D TVs are dumb as hell, they're showing goddamn GOLF in 3D over here

3D GAMING however, that has the potential to be amazing, and I think the ps3 is doing a good job of it.

Forgotten Show
10-09-2010, 07:33 PM
It's just a gimmick to sell new TV equipment. At the state of the technology today, it's just not viable. Glasses and forced depth is amusing at first, but quickly grows annoying.

Agreed on all points. I've not yet seen a movie where being 3D was worth the premium paid to see it, and I'm greatly disappointed in movies seemingly based around showing off their 3D-ness.

Yeah I'm looking at you, Paul Anderson.

Bad Memory

10-23-2010, 01:12 PM
On a slightly different but related note... I'd just like to say that manufacturer's, like SONY and Samsung also claim that their 3DTVs can convert 2D programmes, movies and such into 3D images. Well of course, I don't expect the results to be as good as that from dedicted 3D sources. But... while this 2D-to-3D conversion technology might be clever, the last thing I want to see is images that look like the flat layers of pop up books!

-Batman-
10-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Let me know when they achieve 3D without the need for glasses. Then we'll talk.

Anoleis
10-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Back when we still got TV reception, there was a news story for something that you didn't need glasses for. I think you had to be directly in front of it for it to show things in 3D.
I'm pretty sure it was Japanese too.

10-23-2010, 11:27 PM

What about the Nintendo 3DS? You don't need glasses for that. If you want to see for yourself, check out the vid below: (Not that you'll see the 3D effect properly, of course... but in other ways you'll get the idea...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYnyBxVhK_c

blueangel06661
10-24-2010, 06:59 AM
I can potentially see everything being 3D in the future but people are reallllly stretching the factor. To rack in big $$$ they should make a well anticipated horror film into 3D. That'd scare some people. Like paranormal activity 2 or something. I saw Avatar in 3D and I was pretty blown away by the visuals. More than I expected. However I was creating my own story in my head while looking at the pretty floating flowers in the background.lol.

I don't see 3D gaming to be any good unless they invent some really good full body motion sensors to compete with the 3D so that you feel like you're literally IN the game. Doing all the work and seeing it in 3D

Tearsh
10-26-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't thinkg 3D is a good idea at all. It hurts my eyes and plus I have glasses, so that doesn't help must, and they aren't making any more money with 3D in the theaters, then they are with the original 2D.

How bought 4D? Hear, See, Smell, and Feel. I've been to one before it was awesome but it was 10 years ago 0_0. I remember what it was though.

div
11-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Has anyone here ever seen a 3D TV? I've tested a few (Sony) 3D TVs, and it is somewhat impressive. It's certainly over-hyped, but you really shouldn't make conjecture on something you haven't tried for yourself.

Also, some of you seem to be confused. 3D is not the same as GC (such as Toy Story). You can have a live-action movie played on a 3D TV with the new 3D technology.

blueangel06661
11-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Also, some of you seem to be confused. 3D is not the same as GC (such as Toy Story). You can have a live-action movie played on a 3D TV with the new 3D technology.

No you seem to be confused. Toy Story WAS in fact legit CG shown in 3D. I'm not sure if you are aware but all 3D is pretty much is basically CG all on it's own.

http://freemp4movies.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Toy-Story-3-2010-Movie.jpg

Gero50
11-12-2010, 05:26 PM
When it comes to #D Display Technology I do think it deserves it's own category as it is in presently, although all the hype that it is truly that much better is wasted effort in my opinion.

11-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Has anyone here ever seen a 3D TV?

Yes, indeed I have... although I did clearly state that in my initial post. Besides, I'd never make any judgement on 3D technology unless I'd at least seen a 3D source... and since I've seen the technology on several TV sets, inlcuding Sony, Samsung, and now Panasonic... plus seen it in a movie and in a game on the PS3... well surely, I'm a position to give my opinion on it.

Then, why was I given 3D glasses at the movie theatre for Toy Story 3 3D then?

div
11-13-2010, 11:50 AM
No you seem to be confused. Toy Story WAS in fact legit CG shown in 3D. I'm not sure if you are aware but all 3D is pretty much is basically CG all on it's own.

http://freemp4movies.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Toy-Story-3-2010-Movie.jpg

My apologies, I did not word that clearly. I was referring to live action versus CG, as opposed to 2D versus 3D. I'm perfectly aware that you can have something that is both CG and 3D. I was trying to make the point that CG is not definitively tied to 3D. CG is how the movie is made, 3D/2D is how it is displayed/played.

Yes, indeed I have... although I did clearly state that in my initial post. Plus I would never make judgements on 3D technology unless I'd at least seen a 3D source... and since I've seen 3D technology on several TV sets, inlcuding Sony, Samsung, and now Panasonic... plus seen it in a movie and in a game on the PS3... well surely, I'm a position to pass judgement of it.

My bad; I skimmed the earlier posts. I didn't mean to ask that in an accusing way, I was just wondering because I haven't seen very many (although admittedly I'm not particularly interested).

blueangel06661
11-13-2010, 01:10 PM
My apologies, I did not word that clearly. I was referring to live action versus CG, as opposed to 2D versus 3D. I'm perfectly aware that you can have something that is both CG and 3D. I was trying to make the point that CG is not definitively tied to 3D. CG is how the movie is made, 3D/2D is how it is displayed/played.

Incorrect once again. You CLEARLY do not understand the difference between CG, 2D, and 3D..

For something to be considered to be considered as 3D it has to have height, width, and DEPTH. Which ties back to how the movie is made AND is displayed. Even though an animation does not require the fancy 3D material you'd still label it as 3D if it has depth. 3D is not limited to the glasses and technology. Heck I can create a 3D image on a piece of paper :] I didn't display it in 3D I made it into 3D.

When dealing with something 2D you only have height and width established and no depth. So if I draw the same image on a piece of paper from above but do not add any depth i'll get a 2D image.

And CG is anything computer generated. Being animation or visual effects.

And when you are talking about live action 3D you are referring to S3D which is Stereoscopic3D. They use a particular motion picture camera system is used to film it from two perspectives (or computer-generated imagery generates the two perspectives), and special projection hardware and/or eyewear are used to provide the illusion of depth when viewing the film.

So no matter what path you take it's all CG in some form or fashion. :D See what happens when you do your research on a subject?