View Full Version : Cheating

Anoleis
10-06-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm bored so new thread :D
Let's discuss cheating in schools, and what it's effects will be~
GO

Hanamaru Kunikida
10-06-2010, 07:21 PM
You'll suck for your future obstacles in life and you really didn't learned anything at all.

/thread.

Anoleis
10-06-2010, 07:26 PM
You'll suck for your future obstacles in life and you really didn't learned anything at all.

/thread.
Really? Are you saying that you never copied homework from a friend?

Eris
10-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Indeed. You're not doing yourself any favors.

Light Buster
10-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Cheating will only get you so far until you're caught. Then you'll be a deep hole of trouble.

blueangel06661
10-06-2010, 07:35 PM
It never really had an effect on me. Because I'm one of those people that can figure out how to do something with only the problem and the answer. If you give me both of them I can sit there and work it out until I get to said answer myself. Plus my photographic memory comes in handy sometimes. The teachers give us end of the year exams that match our study guide exactly and I manage to get a straight 100 on those because well basically everything is the same.. Just that the order is messed up. I can remember the problem and what answer went to it.

Skylar1
10-06-2010, 07:40 PM
I would also like to point out something quite important.

While not cheating, Stuffing your brain with info in one night and then dumping it on a piece of paper the next day =/= learning.

Sure, you may very well get outstanding grades, but you will not have retained very much at all doing so.

I always found my self laughing at my peers who would 'get' straight A's in school, but upon talking with them, would discover that they were dumber than a sack of bricks; while I on the other hand consistently failed, or did very poorly in classes.

Hanamaru Kunikida
10-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Really? Are you saying that you never copied homework from a friend?

But I fail to see your logic. Even if I did, not saying that I did, does that still make it right?

Aizen-sama
10-06-2010, 08:45 PM
i guess everyone is a goody-to-shoes lol! xD
hmm i dnt cheat i actually ask my friends to help me and tell me how they go the problem they got
and if i do cheat its because i already know how to do it i was just to lazy to do it at home lol xD

Token Black Guy
10-06-2010, 08:58 PM
There's no point to it. I remember hearing a bunch of the honor students discussing how they were gonna cheat on their exams, but those same people were as dumb as a gunman robbing a gunstore. Not to mention their drinking habits and how they would try to hide that alcohol smell on their breath. Some did other stuff.(Don't ask.) I never done it at all. For some reason this is making me think of a quote from the book Hagakure.

~*Red*~
10-06-2010, 09:27 PM
I've never cheated at school and it didn't have a big affect on me really.

Armageddon
10-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I would also like to point out something quite important.

While not cheating, Stuffing your brain with info in one night and then dumping it on a piece of paper the next day =/= learning.

Sure, you may very well get outstanding grades, but you will not have retained very much at all doing so.

I always found my self laughing at my peers who would 'get' straight A's in school, but upon talking with them, would discover that they were dumber than a sack of bricks; while I on the other hand consistently failed, or did very poorly in classes.

You know, I used to hate people like that. They didn`t pay any attention in class, did sweet slip all on with homework and assignments. Yet come to exam times, they do the whole 'cram' session the day before and with exams taking a good 75-80% of thier overall mark. They pass the subject ! and usually with a high be or low A. People who don`t take education seriously or take it for granted annoy me serverely.

Anyway, getting back to the topic. As for cheating? No, I never had any reason to cheat my way through school, uni or life. I worked hard to get where I am today, I know what my job entails and I know how to do it with stride. It does annoy me when I cross paths with another person in a corporate position as I am, and talking to them is worse than conversing with- Eric, I`m going to use your term "sack of bricks". They have no idea about anything! Yet, they come across posing to be better than you? ._.' Welp, I believe, if people are lucky enough to cheat through life and get away with it should be put to the sword !

Shinn Kamiyra
10-06-2010, 10:08 PM
A cheater will never realize his/her potential so long as they aren't willing to put in hard work. If one isn't willing to put in the effort, then... well, I don't honestly care what happens to them; and I can't imagine many other people would either.

SigmaSD
10-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Is it cheating in people copied off YOUR work?

Cause if it isn't then Sigma never cheated. I don't know why, but I would always feel guilty in front of teachers if I did. It would feel like disrespect to them cause they work hard to teach you, but you try to take the easy way out.

Knuffle Bunny
10-06-2010, 10:09 PM
This may sound like I live in a bubble, but I have never cheated, been cheated off of, nor seen anybody cheat.

I think the kids here are too stupid to cheat xD.

Saxima
10-06-2010, 10:29 PM
I can honestly say that yes, I have cheated on many things in school, tests, homework, school work, exams, etc, etc...

It doesn't help because you don't learn anything. Cheating can only get you so far in life.

Forgotten Show
10-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Broad statements like 'cheating is bad' interest me, because I've encountered a good number of tests that encourage cheating.

I've cheated on homework and tests before. The best case I can remember is a high school class on which my graduation depended, and in which my instructor was absolutely horrid at conveying a message. Crappy teacher + crappy textbook = fail, which would have meant not graduating. Tutoring was not available. Failing was not an option, therefore, cheatcheatcheatcheatcheat. Worked out well enough for me and I've not had to since (even in similar subjects in college).

Bad Memory

MirrorToTheMoon
10-07-2010, 03:35 AM
Well, the only time I did was when I had to use quotes in an English test of mine.
I couldn't remember the quotes (one of them was like a whole paragraph. Also, at the time, I didn't know I could just use "(start of quote)......(middle of quote)........(end quote)"), so I wrote them on a piece of paper, hid it in my jumper sleeve and copied it out.
I don't really think that would have much of an impact on my future life, because, well, let's face it, when exactly will I need to remember whole paragraphs for my use?
On the other hand, I have never cheated any time before or after.

Full Metal SHORTY!!!
10-07-2010, 03:43 AM
I can't stand cheating... I have the guiltiest conscience in the entire world...

Once I accidentally glanced to the side and saw my friends music test paper... and the answer which I was uming and aring about was there...

I felt extremely guilty afterwards.

brolyx74
10-07-2010, 03:48 AM
Is this cheating; In science, we had papers to do every night, but the teacher never corrected them, just checked to see if they were done and went over the answers in class. Is it cheating to copy off someone elses paper when the paper was justa study tool anyway?

Meenah
10-07-2010, 04:58 AM
Cheating is just being dishonest.

You can cheat on a person by being dishonest to them such as going with another person instead of a person you are with. Betraying your friends and loved ones, therefore, you've cheated on them. What I'm saying here, cheating with a person goes in many ways. And those many ways can't be good at all.

Cheating on a test, you're not fooling anyone but yourself. ;P Right there you're just lying to yourself, most of all. If you're caught or not, the action you do is bad.

As for me, I don't cheat at all. Even if I was given a chance, I wouldn't do it. I just know it'll bite me in the *** later on.

Furore
10-07-2010, 06:05 AM
I never really cared enough about my grades to cheat in school. :D

I am however going to refute any claims that cheating is necessarily bad for a person. I've seen living examples that if you're good at cheating in general it can get you quite far (further than those who insist on doing everything legitimately).

I suppose the closest thing I do to cheating is how I fight - I'm very fond of utilising distractions and any large blunt object I see lying around (or am carrying on me) to win. I say the closest thing as though some see it as cheating, I don't. There's no such thing as a fair fight, someone will always be bigger, faster, less sensitive to pain or whatever else. I'm just setting the odds in my favour. ;)

3pleT
10-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Indeed. You're not doing yourself any favors.
I respectfully disagree. See, with relevant areas of relevant subjects, you're not doing yourself any favors by cheating.
But when you have to learn some mandatory things completely unrelated to what you're willing to do for living, cheating is the way to go.

Seriously, tell me why I have to know sociology (more specifically, our professor's opinions of political ideologies), quantum mechanics, all formulas related to complex analysis and statistics (we're not allowed to use any tables), and all about every interpolation method ever used in order to be a programmer.

Skylar1
10-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Seriously, tell me why I have to know sociology (more specifically, our professor's opinions of political ideologies), quantum mechanics, all formulas related to complex analysis and statistics (we're not allowed to use any tables), and all about every interpolation method ever used in order to be a programmer.
The human brain learns by means of analogy. The more analogies you have, the more knowledge you can draw upon to solve a complex problem that may be completely unrelated to said thing learned. Saying "I shouldn't learn this because I'm never going to need it" is somewhat short-sighted imo.

You're right in the sense that you may very well never need to actually use quantum mechanics; but that doesn't mean that learning it is completely useless in that regard. You can still apply it to many things not in any way connected with quantum mechanics.

miniPhil
10-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I am however going to refute any claims that cheating is necessarily bad for a person. I've seen living examples that if you're good at cheating in general it can get you quite far (further than those who insist on doing everything legitimately).

Basically this. But not necessarily solely on the cheating part. The general vibe I get from people itt is :'I never cheated and everyone who does is going to fail at life.'
Protip: School =/= life. Someone who is bad at school or cheats is not doomed to failure. Many people just can't grasp the school system and drop out or cheat only to become very successful entrepreneurs or do very well in another area because they tend to have high charisma.
Also inb4 'You're just trying to rationalize your cheating at school' Nope. Never really cheated, was too timid as a kid. Still am to some extents.

brolyx74
10-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Protip: School =/= life. Someone who is bad at school or cheats is not doomed to failure. Many people just can't grasp the school system and drop out or cheat only to become very successful entrepreneurs or do very well in another area because they tend to have high charisma.

This. Just because someone cheats on a test doesn't mean they don't learn the stuff. What if someone knows the stuff but does bad on tests. Also, I see nothing wrong with cheating on a memorization test. Sorry, but remembering names and dates aren't that important in the long run and if cheating on a test like that is the difference between an F and a D or B and A, I say go for it. Once you're done with the class you won't have to deal with it later so how would it hurt you?

Heinekenrana
10-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Once you're done with the class you won't have to deal with it later so how would it hurt you?

To play Devil's Advocate, I would say that some folks consider cheating on tests a severe moral breach, and if you're going to cheat on a test, what's next? "Oh, I'll do such and so, no one will get hurt"? This is a very drastic example and not always true, but some people might see it that way. *shrug*

Personally, I never cheated. I figured I'd have to actually know the subjects I was taking in the long run, and for the most part (eff off, algebra), I was right. I feel a lot better actually having invested the time learning the stuff as well, since it's since set a pattern for my work ethic now; I enjoy learning new things and having the opportunity to study them for my workplace. If I'd have cheated back in the long-ago that was school, I feel that I might not have that same mentality.

~Fallen~Angel~
10-07-2010, 06:53 PM
i don't cheat and i tell my friends not to cheat. i help them then in the end they feel good and get more freedom from their parents.

3pleT
10-08-2010, 05:11 PM
The human brain learns by means of analogy. The more analogies you have, the more knowledge you can draw upon to solve a complex problem that may be completely unrelated to said thing learned. Saying "I shouldn't learn this because I'm never going to need it" is somewhat short-sighted imo.
I agree. That's why I read books that I actually find interesting: novels, psychology, medicine,... instead of filling my head with a bunch of boring stuff that I only have to pass because some moron decided that it was a better idea than naming subjects after programming languages.

Kaname Shikara
10-08-2010, 05:41 PM
The only time I cheated was in 5th grade, on my Math. And I insanely regret it because in 5th grade is when the foundation for tough Math starts ~.~ and that might explain why I'm so....unsmart in some areas of Math.... mainly the harder types of Algebra and my brain can't comprehend Calculus AT ALL and so... T-T;

I've never cheated before or after that though because I realized in 6th grade "What have I done?" because I'm someone who didn't know how to do long division until 8th grade XDDD all because I didn't take Math seriously in 5th grade.