PDA

View Full Version : Curse Words in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Novels

GoldenEye
10-03-2010, 12:44 AM
have you ever read novel in which the author has made up various "curse words/foul language"? It annoyed me when i found it in one of the novels i picked up. Now i personally dont use foul language when i talk but if an author is going to have his characters curse they should just use the words that already exist(i think it is childish to do otherwise). What do you think of made up curse words? or what are some made up curse words you have seen in novels

example) oh futz! <-- isnt that just stupid?

OminousCloud
10-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Firstly, please avoid cursing, a lot of things will get filtered with the stars but it's still preferable if you don't do it in the first place. Considering this topic of discussion, I'll be lenient to a certain degree.

Each book is written for a certain demographic and the publisher may put a restriction on the use of curse words. I agree though, it is annoying. I can't recall an incident where the author has made up their own but I have noticed a growing use of "damn".

hougokyo
11-21-2010, 07:32 PM
I've read a few couple books where it's a made up curse word that's used but it's also like a different language. In one instance the younger character picked a dwarven curse his mother slipped out on accident. Personally I think that if someone is swearing in a book I think that it can really add to the book and I think it can add interesting character habits like if some characters only swear when they're angry and some characters swear because that's how they're use to talking. I don't find anything wrong with swearing around people your comfortable with, but in certain social situations I of course don't swear because I don't want to offend nobody