PDA

View Full Version : Kaitou Kid's review on Red Dead Remdeption

Hanamaru Kunikida
10-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Red Dead Redemption (PS3, Xbox 360)
http://media.ign.com/games/image/object/143/14320288/red_dead_redemption_360boxart_160w.jpg

Published by: Rockstar Games
Developed by:Rockstar San Diego
Genre:Action Adventure
Release Date:
US: May 18, 2010
Release Date:
Europe: May 21, 2010
Release Date:
Australia: May 21, 2010
MSRP: $59.99
M for Mature: Blood, Intense Violence, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs

Red Dead Redemption is a game creator by already known developers, RockStar, they are known by their series “Grand Theft Auto”. Read Dead Redemption takes places in the 20th century, in the old west were protagonist; John Marston, a former outlaw who’s gone straight has found that history has a way of catching up with you. Those who once Marston called friends are now his enemies and John Marston has to overcome obstacles alone.

Red Dead Redemption takes place across the countryside of the US and Mexico. In your journey you will assist, meet and make blood with an amazing cast of characters as Marston tries to make his future better.

Its Story Mode takes up at least 20 hours of your time with action-packed a variety of stuff that one cannot focus on a single task, of course this game is made by Rockstar—great at making open world sandbox games, and it’s good this feeling is not lost in this installment.

In the American West, you can do such as herding and breaking mustangs, track down outlaws for exchange of bounty. You can either kill them or turn them in for much profit, hunting and sharpshooting challenges? Oh, Red Read Redemption doesn’t fail to cover such tasks. If you want to take a break from the main quest, you can always partake on side quests which involves playing horse shoes, poker or discovering bandits’ hideouts. As a one world game, you could wonder around and look for stuff, such as new outfits for Marston to wear, or do hunting challenges and hunt a type of animals; you may also pick up herbs and desert flowers. The game also includes a feature names Rockstar Social Group—An online community that provides additional tasks and leaderboards the encourage the player to play more and enhance your replay value. If you want a game that will last you long, this should be your selection.

The visual of this game are fantastic, how each model and texture are executed. The color palette used in this game is great too and very fitting making It look Old West like, making the game’s final presentation look pretty attractive and eye catching.
The world of this game it almost feels alive, you’ll hear birds screaming, and you will see bunnies running across, and along the way you may encounter bandits—which is where the sandbox part takes place, you make the choice and receive upon what you have chosen.

The controls of this game are similar to Grand Theft Auto IV as well, but this game includes a dandy new feature known as “The Dead Eye” which makes your aiming slow motion so you can focus on shooting accurately, but it’s timed so use it wisely. You may think you won’t need it, but it really helps a lot in some missions where you’re riding your hose and fighting of the army of outlaws along with you. When you engage the pointer with a part of their bodies, it automatically locks it on and when the time expires, John fires away his bullets to all the enemies—or objects for that matter that you locked-on to.

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/109/1090125/red-dead-redemption-20100516105731733-000.jpg

Even when you acquired all items, and finish the game 100%, are you done with the game? Not really, there still a bunch of things you have do in the game. The game provides a similar multiplayer as Grand Theft Auto IV, and even more competitive and cooperative modes with up to 16-players. The competitive field includes team and free-for-all game types including standard shootouts and a capture the flag style of game. These modes are decent distractions and can be quite fun -- especially at the start when each game begins with every player standing in a circle ready to draw their pistols. Any hardcore player might end up a bit annoyed by the respawn system this game provides, however, which has a tendency to start you right next to an opponent. But’s good and all, but it isn't the kind of multiplayer experience I'd make a steady part of my gaming routine. The cooperative missions involve of quest you and your friends may partake on. (The missions are part of a DLC, which the first set is free to download)

Multiplayer also includes a type of lobby known as Free Roam, but the original thing about is that it’s cranked up to be a game mode itself. You can shoot your friend’s faces off and earn XP, shoot civilians and make the sheriffs chase you, and shoot them so you can earn XP as well. Free Roam is like an enhanced version of single player mode since it shares multiple tasks, such as horse riding and many of the activities mentioned above in this review, it also includes a few extras as cooperative missions, so like said, it could be an awesome game mode itself.

Gameplay: 10
“A sandbox game with great variety and combat”
Sound: 9.5
“A great fitting voice cast and good collection of action-packed background music”
Story: 10
“A great way to relive the American West by someone’s eyes”
Replay Value:
“Very High”

Final Score: 9.75

Anime Forum
10-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Really good review! It's very professionally made, and maybe I'll check this game out. I haven't played it yet and I've been looking for a new one to try out.

SigmaSD
10-02-2010, 04:03 PM
What princey said. Sigma might check it out as well, since Sigma likes the western style game.

TomoyoSakagami
10-03-2010, 06:53 AM
Eh~ I mean RDR was a good game, I mean great at times but that high of a score? Well, your the reviewer I guess and it was a good review.

RaShayRitto
10-30-2010, 08:07 PM
I find the lack of a PC version disturbing, but i guess after the GTA 4 PC debacle no one should get their hopes up

Hanamaru Kunikida
11-26-2010, 01:24 PM
I got all the DLC as I got the Undead Nightmare pack.

I will be editing my original post to add about the expansion pack.

Skylar1
11-26-2010, 01:32 PM
I got all the DLC as I got the Undead Nightmare pack.

I will be editing my original post to add about the expansion pack.
Well, if the expansion is big enough, you could always make a review specifically for it. Up to you.

Hanamaru Kunikida
11-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Alright then. I'll see when I finish it as it includes the other Multiplayer DLC as well.