PDA

View Full Version : Googles new instant results display

Skylar1
09-11-2010, 12:39 PM
(CNN) -- Tired of waiting the tenths of a second it takes to get Google search results?
Google promises it'll get faster.
The search giant on Wednesday introduced Google Instant, which will give users suggested results before they're even done typing.
"It's not quite psychic, but it is very clever," said Othar Hansson, a senior software engineer at Google.
Using the new system, as a query is typed, the search box immediately jumps to the top of the search page, and a constantly changing list of suggested pages appears. If the user finds the right site, they don't need to finish typing or hit "enter."
Google Instant will begin rolling out on most browsers to users in the United States on Wednesday and be introduced afterward in the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy and other countries.
If someone doesn't like the feature, they can disable it from the search page.
The feature builds on Google's existing auto-complete feature.

Full Article: http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/09/08/google.search/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Heh, Saw this the other day, for a split second I thought something was wrong with my computer. o_O lol What do you think?

Saxima
09-11-2010, 01:25 PM
It's only a tenth of a freaking second!!! People can't wait or something?!?!

Saint Seiya
09-11-2010, 02:09 PM
i disabled it, its annoying

Maha Vailo
09-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Gotta love how it comes up with suggestions before you finish typing a single word. -_-;;

*Tsuki*
09-11-2010, 04:13 PM
lol. I noticed it and was like, "O_O what the heck is up with that? Dx"
But then I got used to it.
Then I went on today and it happened again. I was like, "O_O What the heck is up with that? Dx"
I don't think I'll get used to it.

SigmaSD
09-11-2010, 06:28 PM
I think they were testing it when I tried it cause it kept changing back and forth. But I don't like it that much, it gets kinda annoying. I liked what they did with the images, but they could have left the search the same.

I wonder what they're going to do with vids now?

Eris
09-12-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't like it when computers try to guess what I intend. I don't notice it when they get it right, and I get frustrated when they get it wrong, so all I experience is frustration. So I disabled it.

Meenah
09-12-2010, 09:37 AM
I hate it, so I disabled the thing. lol
I was looking up pictures of Daniel Henney and it was saying other stuff. Blah.

Diocletian
09-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Despise it. It has only pissed me off more lately. It does nothing but try to put words in my mouth. In the words of Seinfeld: "She's a sentence finisher. It's like dating Mad Libs".

GameGeeks
09-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Yay!!! For lazy people. Really, attention spans have gotten to the point they can't wait a tenth of a second. I'd hate to see what society is like in twenty years.

Deidara~
09-12-2010, 11:25 PM
I dont see the point, really. There wasnt anything wrong with it in the first place.

Jezus
09-14-2010, 06:41 PM
it sucks and most of the time when I search stuff it gives the wrong results >_>
Google annoyed me already so sometimes I use Yahoo =3

Capernicus
09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Eh, I didn't even notice till I saw this thread and went to check it out. I have no opinion as of yet.

Shin Natsume
09-15-2010, 07:26 PM
It's annoying when I forget that it's enabled and results are added in real time. I disabled it.

.Sev
09-20-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm glad they added it. It was really pissing me off how I had to wait an extra tenth of a second more than I needed for my damn searches. I can't wait until google releases Google Instant Prediction, which will predict what you want to search before you start typing.

blueangel06661
09-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Well I personally never get to use it since I use Igoogle. So I still Google the old fashioned way where I don't get instant results. Though I have used it once and since I'm so fast and often careless about when I hit certain buttons I ended up far from what I was intending to do by mistake.. I was like 0_0? This isn't what I wanted?

Uta-chan~
09-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Eh, I don't mind. I find it amusing searching for something and see the assumptions Google makes for you. Like you type in two words such as "I slept..." and it offers suggestions like "...with a married man." Haha kind of makes you wonder.
I'd like to see what they come up with next. ;)

Miss Moonlight
09-27-2010, 02:10 AM
I thought it was annoying, but I haven't disabled it yet.

Linkax9
09-30-2010, 05:35 PM
i found the instant suggestions annoying, but i suppose its useful

TomoyoSakagami
09-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Although this is old news, I rather think this feature is a good one. I haven't fount it annoying, plus seeing the suggestions it comes up with makes it more interesting.

Is Google too serious for you?

Kaname Shikara
09-30-2010, 05:41 PM
It is very annoying :| I want to disable it.

Radiation
10-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Has no real effect on me seeing as I have to use the Google toolbar in my browser.. after I make a seacrh in that it brings up the results, then the main searchbar on the page disappears after a second or two..

Aku no Hikari
10-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Strange. I saw it a while ago.

And I disabled it quickly.

.:neuko:.
10-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Awful! Where's the option to turn it off?

Aleyna
01-15-2011, 10:04 AM
It doesn't work for me on Opera, but it works for me on Firefox. I barely ever use it though, because I can just type something into my address bar on Opera, hit enter, and it will automatically google it.

Captian Jack sparrow
01-21-2011, 12:20 PM
google's new instant search results is an ok search app but i find that when i'm trying to type something and it just starts spewing out results is a pain.