PDA

View Full Version : [Help - Software] mp4 to gif.

SigmaSD
08-18-2010, 03:23 AM
Okay so I've been going at this for hours (part of the reason why I'm still awake).

I've been trying to make an animated sig, but to no avail. I can't find a program that will let me take a large mp4 clip and resize it, and then change it to gif. I read somewhere that imageready 7.0 was teh best program to use, but you can only get that if you buy photoshop, and I don't feel like wasting 1,000 dollars atm.

So I was wondering if you guys knew an easier way to convert an mp4 to gif, perhaps a freeware or a cheap program out there? Or perhaps it could be done using windows movie maker?

I can't let this thing beat me. Grrr

Eris
08-18-2010, 06:51 AM
You can do it with mplayer if you survive without a point-and-drool interface.

mplayer -vo gif89a:fps=15:output=whatever.gif -ss 10 -endpos 5 myfile.avi

Converts 5 seconds of the video in myfile.avi (it may be mp4 or basically any video format) from starting position 10 seconds to a gif file named whatever.gif with a framerate of 15 frames per second. It can later be resized with The GIMP.

SigmaSD
08-18-2010, 09:19 PM
You can do it with mplayer if you survive without a point-and-drool interface.

mplayer -vo gif89a:fps=15:output=whatever.gif -ss 10 -endpos 5 myfile.avi

Converts 5 seconds of the video in myfile.avi (it may be mp4 or basically any video format) from starting position 10 seconds to a gif file named whatever.gif with a framerate of 15 frames per second. It can later be resized with The GIMP.

Umm... where am I supposed to put that code? I downloaded the Mplayer but I don't know where I input that code.

I downloaded some other software, but I only have a fifteen day trial. Not to mention that I had to download like 2 or 3 video converters just to be able to use mp4 files into that program.

Eris
08-19-2010, 02:35 AM
Type it in the terminal. Or console. Or whatever it's called in Windows. Just go to Windows->Run->type "cmd"->(run button)

You need to do something like

cd "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Desktop"
"C:\path\to\mplayer\mplayer.exe" -vo gif89a:fps=15:output=whatever.gif -ss 10 -endpos 5 "C:\path\to\myfile.avi"