PDA

View Full Version : Light Peak

GameGeeks
08-02-2010, 07:21 PM
All I can say is this will make download times and file transfer times non existent. I personally can't wait for something like this to become the norm. Not in the article, but, I've heard that with a little tweaking they could get it up to 1000 gb/s. That's just insane.

http://techresearch.intel.com/articles/None/1813.htm

Eris
08-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Beware of false hype. You will never see speeds like that, because of the huge bottleneck that is harddrive read/write speed. Which is as low as 50 MB/s, or equivalently 400 Mb/s.

Aku no Hikari
08-02-2010, 07:53 PM
This is great.

I have a little question in my head. The article says:

At 10Gb/s, you could transfer a full-length Blu-Ray movie in less than 30 seconds.Can this really work in its maximum speed? I might not be exactly up-to-date with computer speed and all, but how is 10 GB/s supposed to be written in real-time on the hard disk drive? I'm pretty sure the answer is that it can't.

I think that even if the internet connection is capable of transferring 10 GB/s, there would still be speed limitations due to the computer's inability to handle all that data in this short time.

Wikipedia's article on HDDs says that typical HDDs "rotate at 5,400 to 10,000 rpm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutions_per_minute), and have a media transfer rate of 0.5 Gbit/s or higher. (1 GB = 109 Byte; 1 Gbit/s = 109 bit/s)". See also RAM sections "Recent Development" and "Memory Wall".

Anyone has an answer to this?

Edit: Oh, Eris! ^____^

Skylar1
08-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Out by next year???!! wow!

.. The information world is going to get a helluva lot bigger- real quick. ^^

GameGeeks
08-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Beware of false hype. You will never see speeds like that, because of the huge bottleneck that is harddrive read/write speed. Which is as low as 50 MB/s, or equivalently 400 Mb/s.

You're right you wont, but it will still boost speeds considerably over what they are now. I have about a 20mb connection. When I download I'm at a 250kb to 500kb speed. If you took say 100gb and are able to keep the same ratio I have now I'd be in early gigabyte range for downloads. Factor in companies and hardware and it'd drop significantly but I'd still be downloading at megabytes instead of kilobytes.

akuN, they don't mean read the disc they mean putting the data into an ISO and transferring that.

Eris
08-02-2010, 08:22 PM
You're right you wont, but it will still boost speeds considerably over what they are now. I have about a 20mb connection. When I download I'm at a 250kb to 500kb speed. If you took say 100gb and are able to keep the same ratio I have now I'd be in early gigabyte range for downloads. Factor in companies and hardware and it'd drop significantly but I'd still be downloading at megabytes instead of kilobytes.

akuN, they don't mean read the disc they mean putting the data into an ISO and transferring that.

Uh, this isn't an Internet connection. It's local device interface. Like USB, or FireWire. But anyway, you really don't need that. I've got an 100 mb/s connection, and I can easily do 5 Mb/s from a good server. I can download a 14 GB game off of steam in about an hour (averaging around 2-3 Mb/s).

Aku no Hikari
08-02-2010, 08:24 PM

But when you're transferring data, you're reading it from the disc (or writing it to the disc in case of download).

Edit: And by "disc" here, I mean the HDD, not the Blu-Ray disc itself.

TheThunderBringer
08-02-2010, 08:40 PM
My crappy internet gets me a max of 180 kb/s...on a GOOD day.