PDA

View Full Version : Physics in anime and manga

Rongue
07-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Ok yes I know "lol anime physics"
Yes I also know there is a thread like this but it is based on code geass alone.

Now to the topic!
Basicaly anything about physics in anime/manga.
Your thoughts?
Do you like a side of physics to go with yor anime/manga?
What anime/manga have terrible physics?
What anime/manga have good ones compared to other anime and manga?

I personaly like one peice physics, lol. No I really do, it is not because they are good but it fits the anime well.

Gjallarhorn
07-29-2010, 04:33 PM
With more realistic series I prefer more realistic physics.
With more fictional series I suppose it doesn't really matter since its fiction anyway.

Series like One Piece do fine because their altered physics suit the series, and make the heroes and villains seem that much more magnificent. Series like Gundam should have fairly realistic physics, if not completely realistic...I dislike the several Gundam series which make the mecha seem to operate and perform completely unrealistic.

But the one thing I hate is why physics is variable; when at times it can be completely realistic, but ten seconds later it becomes complete subjective to the author's will.

Diocletian
07-29-2010, 04:40 PM
^ It's like if you start out your series as just a normal high school show for the first five episodes then all of a sudden SUPER MEGA GODZILLA ZOMBIES THAT FLY AND HAVE plot armor that makes them undefeatable.

Skylar1
07-29-2010, 05:13 PM
For the most part, I want them to stay as close to real as possible.

However, I do find it acceptable to "tweak" the physics slightly for a more dramatic effect.

As would be the case in,.. let's just say a random fist fight. When one guy gets thrown against the wall, it's more entertaining if he really hits the wall. Even if it's not excatly true to physics you get a much more pronounced "feel" for the atmosphere of the conflict. So yeah, as long as it's not overdone, and is used few and far between, I'm cool with it.

It's like salt; just a pinch will do, but too much, and it's ruined.

The Butcher
07-29-2010, 05:17 PM
I really don't care about physics in my anime.

As long as I good good action,or at least a decent plot,I don't care.

GameGeeks
07-29-2010, 05:41 PM
But the one thing I hate is why physics is variable; when at times it can be completely realistic, but ten seconds later it becomes complete subjective to the author's will.

For the most part I agree that makes sense. The only exceptions I don't mind are when there's a joke or something silly going on like a girl punching a guy to the moon.

For the most part I base it on the anime. I tend not to worry about it since most of the time if it's done well it ends up making for some cool fight scenes. Examples of this are Fist of the North Star and Kenichi for slightly altered physics and anime like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann for physics that absolutely makes no sense. Personally, if everything was realistic it'd be rather boring. When was the last time you saw a realistic action movie?