PDA

View Full Version : Shirley Sherrod to sue blogger.

Rongue
07-29-2010, 11:29 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=11279038
About time.
I think Fox news should also get sued, however there a few issue's with that.
Shirley Sherrod is going to sue Andrew Breitbart.
If you have been living in a cave or somehow did not hear of this story then it goes something like this.
Shiley sherrod gives speech. Andrew Breitbart edits speech and post it on his blog. Fox news gets it and dose not check to see if it has been edited. Shirley Sherrod is asked to resign.
Other news groups see that the video has been edited and that the real video is much different from the racist edit version. New like CNN calls out Fox on this. Shirley gets her good name back but so far not her job.

Now she is justly going to sue Andrew Breitbart. This is not the first time Fox news has reported something from Andrew Breitbart's blog that was 100% false.

Also I just noticed that the post icons for making a new thread are messed up. Hover your mouse over one of them and it will say it is something else. I will post this as the heart one and see if it post it as a heart.

GameGeeks
07-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Depending on the extent of the edit it may fall under fair use. It also depends on the intend Andrew had when he did the edit and posted it to his blog. Fox News could be sued since it's their responsibility to check their sources. Though a link to the blog and the unedited video would be nice.

Rongue
07-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Ok brb with those 2 things.... my computer is VERY slow so feel happy that I go through this trouble for you. XD

Edit*
Here are the edit and ful version. Watch in any order.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9NcCa_KjXk ( Full )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrNWw7TGkjo ( edit with comments )

I dont have sound on my computer please remember that.

Also I did not dig up this guys blog because he makes me sick and honestly my computeris slow and I dont know what is on his blog, if I was blasted with ads of some sort it might stall or freez my computer.... yes it is that bad sometimes. Youtube was a lot for this dino of a computer to handle.

Eris
07-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Depending on the extent of the edit it may fall under fair use. It also depends on the intend Andrew had when he did the edit and posted it to his blog. Fox News could be sued since it's their responsibility to check their sources. Though a link to the blog and the unedited video would be nice.

IANAL, but as far as I understand, fair use is an exception in copyright law. Which means that the blogger may be protected against lawsuits for copyright infringement. Fair use should be of no defense value against defamation and libel charges, though.

GameGeeks
07-29-2010, 04:50 PM
While I may not agree with what he did but things like that where and are still happening today. You have people misquoting and what not in public elections and this seems no different to me. He's just using a video and removing the parts he didn't want. How is this any different? Why should he get sued when networks like Fox News do this all the time and yet they get away with it. Frankly, this should fall under freedom of speech, which seems to protect those other examples. I could make a list with Fox News just using Glenn Beck.

Eris
07-29-2010, 05:04 PM
While I may not agree with what he did but things like that where and are still happening today. You have people misquoting and what not in public elections and this seems no different to me. He's just using a video and removing the parts he didn't want. How is this any different? Why should he get sued when networks like Fox News do this all the time and yet they get away with it. Frankly, this should fall under freedom of speech, which seems to protect those other examples. I could make a list with Fox News just using Glenn Beck.

If you are quoting out of context, that is unethical but most likely legal. If you string together different out-of-context quotations and present it as a complete message, you're approaching the point where you're claiming they've said something that they didn't say. Which is similar enough to slander that someone may sue you for it. Whether or not they actually win is a matter for the courts to decide.

DOOM!
07-30-2010, 03:06 AM
Oh, it's about some stupid government employee nobody gives a damn about. I thought my queen Sherrod was in danger.

Haoie
07-31-2010, 04:15 AM
Ah America, where everyone sues everyone else.

Like there isn't a non litigious way to solve things.