PDA

View Full Version : [Help - Malware] I can't access any websites

TheThunderBringer
07-26-2010, 10:33 AM
For all it's worth, I have a PC, not a Mac.

So I got back from vacation last night; thought I should do some catching up on the internets. I'm on for a good hour or two, no problems to report. But then, my internet falls, and I get all these notifications from my computer about having just contracted a virus. Usually, when I get this kind of stuff, my computer is lying to me and everything goes all fine and dandy, but not this time.

I got reconnected to the internet, and when I opened my web browser, the new window told me something along the lines of "Accessing this site could cause harm to your computer!" Which a blatant lie, because my home page is Google. I tried every other site on my history, nothing worked, same screen.

Now I get all these popups from a self-proclaimed anti virus software thingy, an it scans m computer and tells me of all the spyware and firmware and trojans and what not I have accumulated over the past 10 minutes. It asks me if I want to clean my computer from said threat, but to do that I need to pay them 65$ to update my version -_-

Their site is the ONLY site that I can access on the internet. I tried deleting/uninstalling their 'Antivir' from my laptop, but it doesn't appear on my Start tab (that little green box on the bottom left), so I can't get rid of it, could IT be the source of the virus?

ANYWAY, I have absolutely no idea how to get rid of it, and my older brother is in China, this is relevant, he usually helps me with stuff like this.

PLEEEEASE let me know of anything you think could possibly help. Thanks a ton in advance.
(keep in mind that I can in no way access the internet from the laptop in question)

This is being posted by my brother' mac.

GameGeeks
07-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm assuming you're on a different computer right now. I suggest downloading malwarebytes and transferring that. Then go into safe mode and run that. I'd suggest also buying symantec endpoint protection and ad aware but I doubt you can afford that. Malwarebytes is free for manual scans and is the best free software virus scan I ever found. In fact with the three programs I mentioned and a few add-ons on Firefox I can't remember the last time I've had a virus.

TheThunderBringer
07-26-2010, 11:18 AM
It scans my computer for me, and tells me I have all this crap, with that malwarebytes thing be able to get rid of them?

1. Can you link me to that?
2. When I've downloaded it, how do I transfer it to the infected laptop?

GameGeeks
07-26-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm assuming you have a usb drive or at least something like an MP3 player or a PSP which could act like one. Just transfer the exe and install, then restart the computer in safty mode and run it. If it doesn't let you install it in normal mode try installing it in safety mode. http://www.malwarebytes.org/

TheThunderBringer
07-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Ah, thanks a ton, but I don't know how to get into safety mode... ._.

GameGeeks
07-26-2010, 11:28 AM
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial61.html Follow that after installing or depending on your machine you can press F4 or F2 at the start of the boot up to bring the option up. Can't remember what F button it is but it should tell you. I'm pretty sure it's F2 though.

TheThunderBringer
07-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Alright, cool, I'll try that. Ooone more question: After I've downloaded it, how do I get in on my flashdrive?

GameGeeks
07-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Just open the device via my computer and transfer it like you would if you where moving files between folders.

TheThunderBringer
07-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Do you know how I would do that on a Mac?

GameGeeks
07-26-2010, 11:48 AM
No sorry, last time I used a Mac was in elementary school.

TheThunderBringer
07-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Alright, I'll see if my desktop computer can get it. Thanks a ton for all the advice.

Lily Rock
07-27-2010, 04:11 AM
Try SuperAntiSpyware, i tested that when i had a hardcore trojan(downloaded CS 1.6... <.<'), should kill it pretty fast, and other hidden stuff if you might have, it's free btw.

losecontrol
08-21-2010, 12:43 AM
this is an easy fix and I had helped solve this issue for a couple friends of mine, lol. Well, what you're dealing with is a fake anti virus, it tricks you into thinking you have virus and makes you buy their products. You can try this first and see if this works. You can try this, download doctor spyware the free trailer, just google for doctor spyware. If it wont let you download it, go on windows safe mode, google that too if you dont know how to. Once you have that downloaded, run it, it'll show your infected areas, but it won't remove the infections for you since its only a trial version. So once you know where the infected areas are, usually under your C: drive.

GameGeeks
08-21-2010, 01:22 AM
No offense, but, Dr. Spyware is a piece of crap. Also, you kinda never finished your post. Your last sentence is broken. Not to mention I believe this has since been solved since he never posted back here.

losecontrol
08-21-2010, 10:13 PM
No offense, but, Dr. Spyware is a piece of crap. Also, you kinda never finished your post. Your last sentence is broken. Not to mention I believe this has since been solved since he never posted back here.
I guess that's your personal opinion. I personally think that dr. spyware is good to have especially when you're dealing with issues like these. And second, I did not know this issue was solved. Even if it is, people with similiar problems can check this thread out for a fix.. and no offense either, my solution is way easier/better and faster than your long way of doing it :laugh:

GameGeeks
08-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Well, not really, since all you suggested is a trial scanner. Malwarebytes free version lacks only a constant scan but pair that up with another program (in my case symantec endpoint protect, costs money but is not needed if you scan once a week) that scans regularly on its own and you have a nice barrier. With your method you'd still have to find something to remove it. There's also the fact that some viruses can only be removed in safe mode due to the files they infect. Some even prevent the installation of files in normal mode. Yes, my way may be long but it's has a much greater chance of fully removing a virus.

Capernicus
08-21-2010, 10:22 PM
@losecontrol (http://www.animeforum.com/member.php?u=242862): Actually, seeing as Thunder couldn't access the web from his infected computer, the two programs have an equally long way of fixing the computer. He needed to download either program it, transfer it to infected computer, restart it in safe mode, and then run the program. Also, if you knew how to check thread dates, you would know this was made back in July.

niKopol
08-22-2010, 03:05 AM
If this wasn't fixed by now I'd recommend changing your boot-up settings or just starting in safe mode. Avast! Free Edition is pretty decent. So is HijackThis. Use Avast to check for other wares and HijackThis to find out what you are dealing with. Now sometimes these programs use a weird name. If you go to your task manager some may show up like this "112GJKDJ2D5.EXE" If you can get to the boot settings you can remove them so they don't automatically start up when booted. If you know what you are dealing with you may be able to look up where its stored in the registry and look up other potential parts of it, as many ware crap tends to regenerate itself, and delete it. At most you'll be able to stop it from running, odds are it will still be on your system. best bet is to do a clean install of your OS but as long as you don't poke at the peices or try to delete it it'll stay down.

If anyone wants to clean this up and post it as a stickied tutorial, do so. And both programs I mentioned can be found at MajorGeeks.com

losecontrol
08-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Well, not really, since all you suggested is a trial scanner. Malwarebytes free version lacks only a constant scan but pair that up with another program (in my case symantec endpoint protect, costs money but is not needed if you scan once a week) that scans regularly on its own and you have a nice barrier. With your method you'd still have to find something to remove it. There's also the fact that some viruses can only be removed in safe mode due to the files they infect. Some even prevent the installation of files in normal mode. Yes, my way may be long but it's has a much greater chance of fully removing a virus.

You can manually remove it once you know where the actually virus is hidden.

@losecontrol: Actually, seeing as Thunder couldn't access the web from his infected computer, the two programs have an equally long way of fixing the computer. He needed to download either program it, transfer it to infected computer, restart it in safe mode, and then run the program. Also, if you knew how to check thread dates, you would know this was made back in July.
I will start checking dates from now on. And if you knew how to read other peoples posts you would know that I said that even if this problem was fixed, its good to have different solutions for it as other people may have the same problem.

GameGeeks
08-22-2010, 10:24 PM
That's not true for most trojans since they tend to spread themselves out so you can't simply go and delete them. Not to mention there's a good chance the virus simply wont let you delete it even in safe mode. As such you need something that can forcibly remove it.

losecontrol
08-24-2010, 09:06 PM
True, however with Rogue security software you can do this manually, at least to most of them. In most cases, if it won't let you delete the file, simply place the file inside many folders and then delete the whole folder. This will do the trick.

FlashD
09-02-2010, 03:44 AM
This is an old thread. By now the person has either solved their problem or reinstalled their OS, not to mention this thread has turned into a "Which method/AV is better" discussion.

*closed*