PDA

View Full Version : AF is becoming Facebook

Capernicus
07-24-2010, 09:56 PM
It's true! Not only can we sync AF to our FB, we can also like posts now! And, we can even leave each other visitor's messages, which is basically posting on their wall.

Let us think of other ways we can turn AF into FB.

Digital Dragon
07-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Let's not.

Miss Moonlight
07-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Syncing AF to FB is a bad idea. I tried that and it changed my AF avatar to my facebook one. I un-synced it after that.

Rei
07-24-2010, 10:42 PM
AF was not meant to be Facebook in the first place...Wait...I just noticed that the white theme I'm using resembles FB's colors.

GameGeeks
07-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Ugh, I can't stand Facebook. Or twitter for that matter. Frankly, I don't want everyone to know what I'm doing all the time. And I don't see what's so hard about keeping in contact with people via email.

Kaitou Ace
07-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Unlike FB we have a dislike button!

GameGeeks
07-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Never noticed that before.

Kaitou Ace
07-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Also, if you link your FB account to AF it won't change your avatar unless you tell it to. You have the option to enable that or not.

Capernicus
07-24-2010, 11:05 PM
I noticed, and I like it. What's up with the thank button anyway?

.Sev
07-24-2010, 11:06 PM
And there's groups now, just like on fb.

Kaitou Ace
07-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Thank is probably more for things like the computer forum and site issues, and the what show is this type questions in general anime.

truthillusion
07-24-2010, 11:12 PM
I see a lot more (better) features here than on FB.

Miss Moonlight
07-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Also, if you link your FB account to AF it won't change your avatar unless you tell it to. You have the option to enable that or not.
Ah, I see. Must have missed that. o.o

Skylar1
07-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Thank is probably more for things like the computer forum and site issues, and the what show is this type questions in general anime.
I would also like to point out that I totally <3 you now. hahaha

I got on here after work and I saw that you added, not just a "Thank button", but also included a "like/dislike button". It shows up as to who did what, and that's awesome, because that way you don't have to guess who it was that "liked/disliked".

I'm extremely familiar with the "thank system" on forums, and I can guarantee that this is probably one the best things you could have possibly added. Good job.
^____________^

Capernicus
07-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Are we notified when someone thanks/likes/dislikes our post?

Skylar1
07-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Are we notified when someone thanks/likes/dislikes our post?
No, but you can check your stats on your profile or others in the little drop down under "post thanks/like".

The usernames of the member(s) who thank/like/dislike your posts will appear under the post that they thanked/liked/disliked showing what button they chose.

Ex:

[Good post]

-Blah thanked this post -blah2 and blah3 liked this post -blah4 disliked this post

[next post]

Kaitou Ace
07-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Also if a post gets disliked 8 times it'll be auto-collapsed. So it can still be read, but you'd have to click on it. I will tweak that setting as things move on, and see what the best way to use that would be.

zansa
07-25-2010, 01:20 AM
eh? what? I didn't notice it. and why would you want a fusion of AF and FB?

Capernicus
07-25-2010, 01:26 AM
eh? what? I didn't notice it. and why would you want a fusion of AF and FB?

You (and several other posters here) are missing the point entirely. Sarcasm is lost on the interwebz.

zansa
07-25-2010, 01:38 AM
You (and several other posters here) are missing the point entirely. Sarcasm is lost on the interwebz.

ohhhhhh, now everything makes sense. It doesn't bother me anyway.

nice panties in your signature btw

http://www.pobladores.com/data/pobladores.com/sa/nc/sancredo/channels/ranma_1/images/2648935happosai.jpg

Kagome
07-25-2010, 02:39 AM
Oddly enough-FBing AF was a plan devised by a couple of admins and mods a month or so ago in an attempt to save the forum and get a lot more people to join and stay steady with it...So-yea-it's been revamped with some FB features.

Acnologia
07-25-2010, 04:26 AM
I'm tempted to like every post in this thread.

Furore
07-25-2010, 05:37 AM
We could always add crappy little obnoxious games that'll spam everyone else's VMs every time a single action is completed.
And someone could register animefacebook.com as a URL that could redirect to the actual forums!
I'm full of ideas today...

DOOM!
07-25-2010, 09:15 AM
What I just told you last night, Aku.

Eris
07-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Oddly enough-FBing AF was a plan devised by a couple of admins and mods a month or so ago in an attempt to save the forum and get a lot more people to join and stay steady with it...So-yea-it's been revamped with some FB features.

The forum format in general is quite dated, and isn't dealing very well with the competition from huge social networking sites like facebook. So, forums are given the option of adapting to this new internet landscape, or going the way of the dinosaur. And adapting to facebook is done both by adding social networking features like visitor messages, as well as allowing facebook integration that increases visibility.

Aku no Hikari
07-25-2010, 12:00 PM
What I just told you last night, Aku.

@McDoom, Dr. (http://www.animeforum.com/member.php?u=65551): Yup. I've never used Failbook, and I never will.

Actually, I was semi-trolling you with that friend request; I knew you're gonna reject it =P. I don't really care about this friends feature either.

While I know that this is not the purpose of the friends feature, many people use it to give themselves this fake feeling that they're "popular" by having 9000+ "friends" they don't even know. And what's even worse is that if they hit someone's profile page and they don't find 9000+ friends on it, they'll think that this person is a [put any derogatory word you like here].

Sure, I did make friend requests to 6 or 7 people I care about, but other than that, the majority of my friend list is friend requests that came from people I don't even know. Nevertheless, I apathetically accept all requests. Maybe to see how many "friends" I'll get on the long run. (19 so far.)

Anyway, a couple Facebook-like features on a forum doesn't change what a forum is for me. (And don't get me wrong, people. I'm not ranting about the upgrade. The upgrade had much more benefits than a couple useless FB-like "features".)

*Tsuki*
07-25-2010, 01:01 PM
I want to dislike facebook, but they don't have a dislike button. D:

Skylar1
07-25-2010, 01:26 PM
While I know that this is not the purpose of the friends feature, many people use it to give themselves this fake feeling that they're "popular" by having 9000+ "friends" they don't even know. And what's even worse is that if they hit someone's profile page and they don't find 9000+ friends on it, they'll think that this person is a [put any derogatory word you like here].
That's your opinion. Sure, of course there are people that are really just that shallow and actually think that more friends means more worth as a human, but for the most part, that's not the case.

Anyway, a couple Facebook-like features on a forum doesn't change what a forum is for me. (And don't get me wrong, people. I'm not ranting about the upgrade. The upgrade had much more benefits than a couple useless FB-like "features".)
I would very much appreciate it if you were to recant that "useless" part.

I'm not sure how many forums you've used, but I've been on hundreds, if not thousands, and I can tell you right now that there have been a good many great and epic sites that have meet their swift end for the simple fact that they were unable to quickly adapt to the changing atmosphere on the internet.

A forum will always stay a forum as long as it's structure as a social hierarchy remains intact. Adding extra features will make the site more appealing to the changing demographic. You can already see within the month since all the upgrade stuff started happening that there has been a much greater increase in posting turnout and new members joining. This trend will only continue to go up so long as the forum adapts to change- and Ace pretty much nailed it right on the head and struck perfect balance. I can tell you purely from experience that from the stuff that he has done just thus far, I can now personally guarantee the forums' survival for at least the next 5-10 years.

If you don't like the features, don't use them. It's completely optional. But your negative sentiment is unnecessary and doesn't help anything.

Edit: eh... Sorry if I came off as a bit abrasive in this post. It just irks me when people whine about things when there's really no need for it. My apologies.

Darkseid
07-25-2010, 04:51 PM
The meme "I WANT THE OLD FACEBOOK BACK" popped into my head at that.

Anyways......lolfacebooksucks.

MagicOfRemembrance
07-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Hmm interesting AF does now kinda remind me of FB but AF will allways be better in my mind!

ZukaxxMimozu
07-25-2010, 06:02 PM
I noticed a mini rant/tantrum..thing >.> I could here their foot stomp on the floor from all the way in southern Georgia XD Hahaha.

But honestly, if this turns into a Facebook-like site based on Anime and Manga (with[for the most part] friendlier people xD), then hey, cool beans, haha. Not that big of a deal, as long as they don't make every page have a side of advertisements and irritating games on the side XD Frankly I like the change, though I'm still trying to figure out what everything can do. And I'm turning this into one of those really long posts I rarely read all the way through, so to make things not as lame, Imma stop now >_>"

miniPhil
07-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Actually, I was semi-trolling you with that friend request; I knew you're gonna reject it =P. I don't really care about this friends feature either.
OMG! I totally haven't added Mc D as a friend!
Anyway, I like the new features. If you add a poker system like on facebook ace I'll never leave AF.

Diocletian
07-25-2010, 06:35 PM
I want this place to be like myspace. I want to put "behind every successful person lies a pack of haters" posters, dates of nonexistent boyfriends and girlfriends proposals, and have random pictures of myself all over my profile. I don't want to poke someone punkass wall. This whole site is...not cool anymore.

Gjallarhorn
07-25-2010, 06:50 PM
I want this place to be like myspace. I want to put "behind every successful person lies a pack of haters" posters, dates of nonexistent boyfriends and girlfriends proposals, and have random pictures of myself all over my profile. I don't want to poke someone punkass wall. This whole site is...not cool anymore.

Don't forget glittering text everywhere.

Aku no Hikari
07-25-2010, 06:54 PM
That's your opinion. Sure, of course there are people that are really just that shallow and actually think that more friends means more worth as a human, but for the most part, that's not the case.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing here. You only rephrased the SAME thing I said.

I would very much appreciate it if you were to recant that "useless" part.

I'm not sure how many forums you've used, but I've been on hundreds, if not thousands, and I can tell you right now that there have been a good many great and epic sites that have meet their swift end for the simple fact that they were unable to quickly adapt to the changing atmosphere on the internet.

A forum will always stay a forum as long as it's structure as a social hierarchy remains intact. Adding extra features will make the site more appealing to the changing demographic. You can already see within the month since all the upgrade stuff started happening that there has been a much greater increase in posting turnout and new members joining. This trend will only continue to go up so long as the forum adapts to change- and Ace pretty much nailed it right on the head and struck perfect balance. I can tell you purely from experience that from the stuff that he has done just thus far, I can now personally guarantee the forums' survival for at least the next 5-10 years.

If you don't like the features, don't use them. It's completely optional. But your negative sentiment is unnecessary and doesn't help anything.Again, I'm wondering if you just didn't comprehend what I said, but I'll assume I failed at expressing myself.

I never said the UPGRADE is useless. I totally like the upgrade and it's full of useful features. And I was just saying that a couple useless features such as the "friends" feature doesn't mean that I'm ranting about the entire upgrade or that I think it's useless. (And the irony is that I wrote this "just in case" so that nobody misunderstands me and think that I'm ranting about the upgrade).

Edit: eh... Sorry if I came off as a bit abrasive in this post. It just irks me when people whine about things when there's really no need for it. My apologies.Never mind.

And by the way, I wasn't ranting or "whining" about anything in the first place. Your whole reply was unnecessary. But I take the blame for your misunderstanding since this is the internets and it's hard to determine the tone of the "speaking" person.

(Note to self: Next time you mention a negative thing about the forum, be sure TO MENTION ALL THOSE POSITIVE THINGS just so that nobody misses your whole point and goes defensive for no reason. They ALWAYS manage to do it.)

Diocletian
07-25-2010, 07:03 PM
And random pictures of celebrities in different poses like Megan Fox clawing at the camera or Megan Fox lying down or Megan Fox in Transformers. Then I should let my friend write something about me in the about me section claiming they "hacked" my myspace when in reality I gave them my password of my own volition.

Memento Mori
07-25-2010, 08:03 PM
I like it here again.

I like it a lot.

Capernicus
07-25-2010, 10:23 PM
I can tell you purely from experience that from the stuff that he has done just thus far, I can now personally guarantee the forums' survival for at least the next 5-10 years.

How exactly do you plan to guarantee that? As far as I can tell you're just talking out of your southernmost orifice. Spending all your time on forums doesn't necessarily make you the expert; it takes a lot more.

Furore
07-26-2010, 12:56 AM
Correct! You also need no social life, several rolls of duct tape and a red squirrel.

Or he could sit back, relax, not do anything unless a worst case scenario of no-one paying for the server costs pops up where he could just organise people to put money towards server costs. It's not like this place'll run out of people any time soon. I mean look at the really obvious URL that'll draw anime fans in and look at how many anime fans are online. There's an endless stream!

Rei
07-26-2010, 02:58 AM
Really, Facebook is like a ghost account for me. You create one because it suddenly becomes 'popular' and your friends pressure you to join it. Some really random people have added me on it before. And besides, Facebook cannot match up to a forum. You don't have interesting threads to trawl, or the trolls that we have. So yeah, AnimeForum''s better. In my opinion anyway.

DOOM!
07-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Facebook as all like:

_jOmYq3lh_E

Now angry AF dad appears in the back : (

Inactive Account 0061
07-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Honestly, I miss the old AF oAo

-GAZKUL-
07-27-2010, 03:02 PM
I hope that sAD day never comes.

smile1010
07-27-2010, 04:10 PM
There you go people!! AF Is not like FB.

But seriously though, I've been noticing this change as well. I'm not quite sure if I like it, but I don't think I 100% dislike it. I'm not sure many people will use the like/dislike button very much. It just doesn't seem like one of those things that are going to catch on. Like many things on this forum, it'll probably lay forgotten and untouched.

The Butcher
07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I mostly get on FB nowadays to put books on my to-reads list,so I can keep track of what to read next.

Heinekenrana
07-28-2010, 09:13 PM
I want an AF Farmville

(okay not really)

Bucky Katt
07-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Honestly, I'm just gonna say this place changed DRAMATICALLY since the last time I crashed through here. I like it and dislike it.
Like it cause HEY, I LOVE WHAT YOU'VE DONE WITH THE PLACE, SERIOUSLY. <3
Dislike it just 'cause it's so different from what I remember.

Honestly (again) I'd rather have AF take on the social networking features like Facebook if it means staying alive and staying around. As for what you guys can do to make it more like Facebook...Maybe fan pages for the moderators?

Ahhh, what do I know. I've been MIA for ages. xD Great to be back through!

DOOM!
09-25-2010, 11:10 AM
http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-09-05/tumblr_komoijvNEE1qz5vu7o1_400.jpg
This shows how it starts off with and where it wants to go.

Saxima
09-25-2010, 01:32 PM
No, we don't want AF to become FB. Everyone already has enough of FB, we don't need more of it. I don't even know who would want to sync FB with AF, wtf.

Srk
09-25-2010, 10:40 PM
We should rename Anime Forum dot Com "Faisebuk dot Com"

That'll continue the AF = FB thing.

Eris
09-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Yeah. So this thread is really old and deserves it's rest.