PDA

View Full Version : She's going BERSERK

TalkingToast
07-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Alright, I've recently started watching Berserk, and I'm a huge fan-- I recommended it to my younger sister (A huge anime fan, bigger one then I), however she blew it off as silly. She doesn't exactly hold my opinion in a high regard in terms of anime, however I feel like she should check this one out. So, to my question, please sell my sister, or if you're not a fan, give your opinion, on Berserk ! Please avoid any major plot spoilers.

(I created this account to make this thread, thanks guys ! =D)

Gjallarhorn
07-01-2010, 09:24 PM
I won't speak for the anime, as its incomplete and only covers a very small part of the story, and leaves out a lot of content from what it does cover.

Berserk is undoubtedly one of the best dark fantasies ever written, taking place in an incredibly detailed and rich world, with an interesting set of very dynamic characters who each hold their own individual personalities and beliefs and meaning. In terms of writing, very, very few manga authors are capable of going to this level of detail and involvement, and such ability is usually present online in older authors, not someone like Kentaro Miura who began writing Berserk while he was in college.
The artwork is spectacular, and has undergone both very little and a great deal of change over the two decades of Berserk's publication. Miura has gotten a much better grasp on human anatomy and extended this from his human characters to his non-human characters, and the detail that goes in to every panel puts nearly all modern manga to shame.
Berserk is, of course, very, very dark and even more violent. It is most certainly haunting, and this only increases for a large portion of a story. Depictions of war, murder, torture, rape, racism, domestic violence, sexual abuse, etc are not uncommon, but only serve to do little more that disturb the reader, and it plays an important role in both the plot and the creation of the setting and development of the primary characters, as well as in creating the many people who appear in the story that live in the places our heroes (and anti-hero) travel to.

TheThunderBringer
07-01-2010, 10:03 PM
DUDEDUDEDUDEDUDEDUDE. I just started reading the manga 4 days ago, and I'm 97 chapters through it, it's soooo good! I saw some of the anime, and it didn't impressive me nearly as much as the manga. READ IT.

小美ドクロchan
07-02-2010, 12:11 PM
YOU MUST WATCH THE DUB OUTTAKES IF YOU HAVEN'T.

Sorry for the caps. XD It was necessary.