PDA

View Full Version : Grade Your Country

Skylar1
07-01-2010, 07:28 PM
So I was thinking about trying something different.

rather than give a ONE simple letter to blanket everything, we will post what we think of our home country like this (including ALL letter grades and how they pertain to specific issues):

--
My country: [Name]

A- (issue)

[issue get's an "A" because blah]

B- (issue)

[issue gets a "B" because blah]

..... and so on through C, D, and F.

---

this way, we'll get a far more well rounded opinion of what you think.

MangaFanGuy
07-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Score: B

About: A small nation of around 4 million people that is actually doing quite well for itself.
It gets a B for being able to perform above it's own limitations and consistantly put itself at the forefront with many other larger nations in a variety of fields (Academic, Sporting, but not so much economically due to small size)
However it loses points for being a bit politically useless with a weak parliament and some stupid politicians
Also it is hard to get anime here lol

Not much of a review
But overall a B
New Zealand is a nice place to live and despite some downsides it most definitely rates a good decent score

Skylar1
07-01-2010, 07:58 PM
You were supposed to do ALL the letters.

Furore
07-02-2010, 04:26 AM
My country: Australia

A- Economy - Despite the global recession widely effecting some countries, Australians in general weren't as effected. I guess I just love having a little spending money. ;)

B- Terrain/Weather - Varied, we get lots of different types of terrain which is great for backyard travelling but it loses a few points for being so humid in many areas and noticeably hotter than some countries. (I like the cold).

F- Nanny nation policies - Elderly politicians often want everything censored to protect the kids or some other crap and don't really know how technology such as the internet works meaning their way of regulating such things is often horribly flawed. Also they ban us from carrying most weapons, self defense type weapons included - real handy considering the criminals don't follow those laws.

3pleT
07-02-2010, 07:03 AM

F - Corruption - This is probably one of the most corrupt countries in the world, and it goes all the way up to the National Assembly. They appear to be doing something about the low-level corruption now, but the fact that about 5% of our GDP goes right into the politicians' pockets is still the biggest issue.

D - Law - There are some idiotic parts of our constitution, most likely written by some idealistic nut. For example, there is no castle law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine), which means you have no right to attack the burglars before you ask them to leave. Also, you are only allowed to respond with appropriate weapon. If the man who attacked you is unarmed or using a blunt object, you can only use a blunt object to defend yourself. If he has a sharp object, you can use a sharp object. If he has a gun, you can use a gun. But in any case, if you kill him, intentionally or not, it's manslaughter. There's also this 10000 dinar rule - if you steal anything worth less than 10000 dinars in total, you can't be prosecuted. Not to worry, cops will do whatever it takes to protect those who were merely defending themselves, or to punish those who are guilty as hell, but can't legally be punished, mostly by advising victims and all bystanders to change their statements in a way that incriminates the culprit and frees them.

C - Cops - Sure, they bend rules in the victims' favor, but they also bend rules in their own favor, show authority and use excessive force, perhaps even more so than in other countries, and are corrupt as hell. They will order you around just to show their authority, and if you don't listen to them, or mention the fact that you don't have to listen to them, they were known to do some jerk things, like smash your headlights and fine you for driving a car in that state.

B - Freedom - Law sucks, sure, but in practice if you're 18+, you can do pretty much whatever you want as long as you don't hurt someone else, unlike in all the other countries I've been to.

A - People - Just so we're clear: 90% of people in the entire world are idiots. 90% of people in Serbia are interesting idiots. And most of those who are not are just interesting (and awesome). As Dejan Stanković (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dejan_Stankovi%C4%87) once said: "Foreigners don't understand that mentality. They think we're all crazy, and not caring about it is part of our craziness." See, all those personality disorders that you see every day in the west are so rare in Serbia that people who have them end up being made fun of (except passive-aggressive women, those are common). The best example of our awesomeness would be Vesna Vulović (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesna_Vulovi%C4%87), a flight attendant who holds the record for surviving the highest fall without a parachute. When she woke up from her fall-induced coma, the first thing she asked for was a cigarette. And there was none of that wimpy OMG-I'm-so-traumatized kind of crap; as soon as she could walk again, she went right back to being a flight attendant.

-GAZKUL-
07-02-2010, 07:46 AM

F- Weather. consitantly wet and cold, espicially in the west.

D-People, Traditional "Door Scots" grumpy, unhelpfull and gloomy are not as common as most peolpe think but there are one hell of a lot of them.

C-Politics, individually a lot of good ideas but SNP politicians obsession with "Independance" lets it down.

A- History Interesting and the many castle, stone circles, historical buildings and ruins around the country can testify to this. The lack of trespass laws mean that there is easy acess to these countrywide

Overall- B, well worth visting/living in. just as long as you get rid off the stereotype of all scotsmen waering kilts, eating haggis and having names like Angus McTavish.

DOOM!
07-02-2010, 08:00 AM
A++ - Ability to screw absolutely everything up so bad, other nations wonder how people are still alive in there. Yeah, we hunt rats with bows and swing from trees painted in yellow.

Memento Mori
07-19-2010, 03:26 AM
My country: Amurika (Land of the Free, Home of the Whopper)

"A" in: Racial Profiling.
We may not be the best at racial profiling ever, but we definitely make the grade in it for a country that isn't third-world. Muslim? Terrorist. Hispanic? Illegal. Asian? Smart. Black? Served time. And with this new law in Arizona, we're really pushing for some extra credit.

"B" in: Obesity.
America is world-renowned for our insanely large tummies, but now, we're starting to pick up on the fact that these guts are unhealthy. So we got rid of trans-fats! Now, if only we could learn about portion sizes...

"C" in: Being Average.
We can never be average at something. We either really suck, or we really rock. And typically, the things we really rock at aren't exactly good.

"D" in: Disaster Response.
Hurricane Katrina. 'Nuff said.

"F" in: Economy.
Again, do I really need to explain?