PDA

View Full Version : Being heartless or feeling pain

Daken.
06-24-2010, 04:35 AM
I read something once that said; Loving and caring in life only causes bad things to happen so why care and love to begin with? Pain strikes more quickly if one cares or loves with the heart. Being heartless can get you through life quickly and easily because being heartless is a good thing, there would be no care in the world and you will keep moving in life without pain or depression.

So would you guys rather be heartless or feel pain?

DOOM!
06-24-2010, 04:40 AM
Why ask if you already know?

miniPhil
06-24-2010, 05:00 AM
because being heartless is a good thing

Em...what?
Enjoy getting trampled on in this utopia of yours.

International 4-8818
06-24-2010, 05:01 AM
I say living life as heartless is just being a coward. Suck it up and shut up.

smile1010
06-24-2010, 05:18 AM
Sadly, I am a little of both. I have a heart, and i feel pain and love and all the other emotions in between, but as a defense mechanism, i will be the biggest heartless person ever. But in the end my heart catches up and I regret whatever I did during that rampage of heartless actions.

So I have to live with a heart.

Furore
06-24-2010, 05:48 AM
I tend to think with my heart (so to speak) most of the time but sometimes I find it's best to detach myself on some specific occasions lest I make the wrong decision because it's stopping me from thinking clearly.
The trouble with being too emotional is you're generally more prone to making rash decisions that can effect you quite negatively, while the trouble with being heartless more or less permanently is you're blocking your emotions and don't get to experience the highs as well as those lows. Plus it makes some people seem like self-obsessed twits who aren't too fun to be around.

Alcmaeonid
06-24-2010, 07:06 AM
If you don't care about anything, why live at all?

3pleT
06-24-2010, 07:50 AM
If this is about logic vs emotion, logic wins. Emotions are only there to simplify complex calculations and they're only to be used when you need to decide quickly. Long-term emotions such as love (not to be confused with caring) or hate are ALWAYS irrational and do more harm than good.

Skylar1
06-24-2010, 12:50 PM
A certain amount of pain is required to enjoy satisfaction.

So, yes, pain is a necessary evil.

The Butcher
06-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Heartless. My life would be less stressful.

-GAZKUL-
06-24-2010, 02:17 PM

yeah, if you just hide in your heart then that's just being weak. I'd take emotions over heartlessness anyday, you wouldn't be able to argue with people if you were emotionless because you wouldn't care.

Miss Moonlight
06-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Well, I don't enjoy treating people like crap, so I value my empathy. Empathy is really useful for when you don't want to become a serial murderer-rapist-cat-dog-smoothie-maker.

Plus, I think people who aren't afraid to feel pain (emotional and otherwise) are the strong ones. It's the cowards that can't handle it.

I read something once that said; Loving and caring in life only causes bad things to happen so why care and love to begin with? Pain strikes more quickly if one cares or loves with the heart. Being heartless can get you through life quickly and easily because being heartless is a good thing, there would be no care in the world and you will keep moving in life without pain or depression.

Seems unwise and kind of bitter to me. Being human is an experience - to remove all human emotion, kind of voids that experience. Also, it's quite selfish to believe that your life will be easier if you can go through it without care for another ("heartlessness"), because it's only seemingly easy for you.

Damaging others because of your carelessness is not wise.

Mr. Panda
06-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Can you please tell me why we only get those two choices...?

From what I understand you're pulling out 2 extremes here which may or may not have anything to do with each other.

A life going through pain? I don't suffer 24/7 and I enjoy my life, so I'd consider "feeling happy" more of an option for myself.

Those who are heartless are technically dead, by the way. -monocle-

Aki no iko
06-24-2010, 10:43 PM
I'd rather feel pain. What's life without friends and fellow companions? Being heartless would just push everyone away. A life in isolation does not sound too appealing at all.

3pleT
06-26-2010, 05:01 PM
I'd rather feel pain. What's life without friends and fellow companions? Being heartless would just push everyone away. A life in isolation does not sound too appealing at all.

Not really. Emotionless social contracts are still attachments, but the rational ones.

Movie Dave
06-26-2010, 05:09 PM
i don't know if you've ever heard but...the opposite of love is not hate,it's indifference. if we become indifferent of the world around us we might face such things as the holocaust. thousands being murder while a war was happening and people around did not care or know about it. that was loss of hope to people. up to the point that they didn't believe in a god anymore.love makes us human. and it's a feeling that we should never forget.i face it that it also blinds,and causes you to loose control of your self but by that point it would be obsession;yes, money cannot buy love,but as sure as hell it makes the world easier.

Miss Moonlight
06-26-2010, 05:10 PM
yeah, if you just hide in your heart then that's just being weak. I'd take emotions over heartlessness anyday, you wouldn't be able to argue with people if you were emotionless because you wouldn't care.

Well, not always, not all arguments are based on emotion.

Seņor Nobody
06-26-2010, 05:21 PM
That pain makes me feel human. The thought of not feeling anything scares me worse than the thought of death honestly.

chaotic.rune
06-26-2010, 08:58 PM
heartless, but with a little of pain.

John Watson
06-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Sometimes I feel as I 'feel' too much, y'know? I think what if it was better to not feel anything at all? I know now thats a foolish way of thinking. i believe that feeling is what makes us human.

3pleT
06-27-2010, 04:20 AM
i don't know if you've ever heard but...the opposite of love is not hate,it's indifference. if we become indifferent of the world around us we might face such things as the holocaust. thousands being murder while a war was happening and people around did not care or know about it.
The opposite of emotion is not caring only about here and now. If anyone anywhere in the world tried to pull something like Holocaust, I would be happy to do whatever I have to do to stop it. Besides, emotion is exactly what caused the Holocaust and any massacre ever in the first place: hate, greed, patriotism (i.e. the most idiotic kind of love) - all the irrational feelings people acted blindly on. This is where I agree with Librian government (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_%28film%29), which is exactly why I hated that movie. Also, the biggest reason why I loved Star Wars is because people who feel are actually bad guys. Jedi use logic, Sith use emotions.

love makes us human.
You speak of this like it's a good thing.

i face it that it also blinds,and causes you to loose control of your self but by that point it would be obsession;yes, money cannot buy love,but as sure as hell it makes the world easier.
My brain hurts trying to figure out what the hell you were trying to say here.

Alcmaeonid
06-27-2010, 05:36 AM
Also, the biggest reason why I loved Star Wars is because people who feel are actually bad guys. Jedi use logic, Sith use emotions.

Sith use emotions, Jedi have quasi-philosophical transcendental zen-buddhist "balance" with a sprinkle of medieval chivalry on top as their ideal. Is that your definition of using "logic"?

Furore
06-27-2010, 05:41 AM
Hatred leads to the dark side, hunger leads to the kitchen.
A sandwich I feel like making.

dream magician
06-27-2010, 08:48 AM
It's human nature to love and at the same time feel pain. I'd rather feel pain and prove that I had cared or love, than be heartless- besides when you're heartless, life gets a lil bit duller than usual.^^

Souji Seta
06-27-2010, 09:45 AM
There is a saying, "Even the mightiest sword needed to be hammered in the forgery," or something like that... I forgot the exact words. Well, it basically means that to make someone tough, he/she needs to go through hardships... through pain. The more hardships you conquer, the stronger you will become. Believe me, I used to be so weak... but I got through a heck lot of emotional hell in the past and now... you don't hear me complaining even if all hell breaks loose.

Darkseid
06-27-2010, 10:25 AM

This.

Being heartless means you can't enjoy anything and your existence would be sad and empty. Unable to feel, just a puppet.

Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades
06-27-2010, 12:22 PM
I tend to want to feel pain, caus eI know the truth always hurt, I really like to know what people think of me or what they want to say, or if their feeling any pain, if there is something that they really need to tell me. I enjoy it more to feel the pain cause I know if I do I know I have a heart and I know something bad happened or something struck me that I've never encountered before.

DarkMoonPrince
06-27-2010, 12:27 PM
I choose both, considering i'm caring, but at the same time i can be a very heartless person. lol

3pleT
06-29-2010, 03:29 AM
Sith use emotions, Jedi have quasi-philosophical transcendental zen-buddhist "balance" with a sprinkle of medieval chivalry on top as their ideal. Is that your definition of using "logic"?

Nope, but that is a fictional universe where such views are logical.