PDA

View Full Version : The "Good Old days", *sigh*

The Rebel
06-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Honestly, I really haven't thought about it much, but recently I realized just how inactive I've been on AF. Recently, I got into a few of the post games which pretty much brought me back to being active.
But for the longest time I've just been popping in, checking messages, and then off again. It's probably cause of how things have changed around here.
What ever happened to the good old days? Back when we had cannibals eatting newbies, blanket thieves stealing the newbies blankets, and that Madd Admirer guy running around stalking ALL the ladies,, and a guy or two? What happened to the good old natured chaos we had? And where did all the cool Mods go? Where have all the cowboys gone? I guess being the oldtimer I am, I'm probably the only one who even remembers those days.... Dear aki-chan eatting some random Noob, and whatnot. Or did she just steal their blankets,,, it was one of those.

sa5m
06-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Perhaps our mods have been doing their jobs TOO well. ;]

The Rebel
06-10-2010, 01:31 PM
It was some of our MODS stealing blankets, eatting newbies, and the such. lol

Gjallarhorn
06-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I can't say the same for the others, but I regularly dine on the souls of the newbies. They build strong bones. :banana:

The Rebel
06-10-2010, 01:44 PM
But it's not like the old days where you had a few "greeters" mention to beware the cannibals and blanket thieves. And then the few "greeters" that would come in and EAT the newbies, or steal their blankets.
Nowadays, the greeting are so,,,, bland and simple.
And Gjallarhorn, you one of the few mods here from back then. Seems like just about all the "old timers" are gone.

-GAZKUL-
06-10-2010, 01:45 PM
I can't say the same for the others, but I regularly dine on the souls of the newbies. They build strong bones. :banana:

now that is just harsh :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

sa5m
06-10-2010, 01:48 PM
And I've become a stronger person because of it! -fist pump-

Gjallarhorn
06-10-2010, 01:50 PM
And I've become a stronger person because of it! -fist pump-

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Except cancer...and AIDS...and comas...and prolonged periods of time in zero-gravity...

Well...nevermind...

Eris
06-10-2010, 01:57 PM
A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE LEFT. Some just changed their names without telling me, making them invisible to me.

Others who actually did leave have been coming back lately, though. Which is nice.

Also, I'm a cool mod. I listen to that "jazz" stuff you youngsters listen to.

The Rebel
06-10-2010, 01:59 PM
I remember when newbies would message, "OMG! Do they really eat newbies!" I miss those days.

Eris
06-10-2010, 02:00 PM
I seem to remember newbie cannibalism, but that was a looooong time ago. Maybe even before we had an introduction forum and people just posted their intros in misc.

Miss Moonlight
06-10-2010, 02:01 PM
The "good old days" are gone, eaten by these huge time-eating monsters with large fangs.

Rei
06-10-2010, 02:01 PM
now that is just harsh :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Sigh. This is what made AF the way it is, I think. More and more sensitive people.

What ever happened to the good old days? Back when we had cannibals eatting newbies, blanket thieves stealing the newbies blankets, and that Madd Admirer guy running around stalking ALL the ladies,, and a guy or two? What happened to the good old natured chaos we had? And where did all the cool Mods go? Where have all the cowboys gone? I guess being the oldtimer I am, I'm probably the only one who even remembers those days.... Dear aki-chan eatting some random Noob, and whatnot. Or did she just steal their blankets,,, it was one of those.

I wish I'd been here to see it!

Wolfie Poo
06-10-2010, 02:06 PM
monsters with large fangs.

Give me more time, I'm still trying to take them off.

Well, it would have been nice to meet the old chaps.

*Tsuki*
06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Hmm . . . I wish I was around for that.
It's been pretty nice around here (from what I can tell)
even before I signed up.

Rei
06-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I basically just want to see the 'Madd Admirer' or whoever he is. I'll bet the forum was much smaller then for him to stalk all the ladies.

Kaname Shikara
06-10-2010, 03:30 PM
I should have posted 4 years ago ;__; I could have witnessed the so called "Good old days" darn it ;_________;

Eris
06-10-2010, 03:31 PM
There have been many good old days on AF. This place has had countless golden ages, when just the right collection of people came together and had a good time. Undoubtedly, we'll have many more.

Jagan Eye
06-10-2010, 03:42 PM
A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE LEFT

Like A LOT of people.

The good ol' days have gone, so make some more.

Skylar1
06-10-2010, 03:51 PM
No need to be a Negative Nelly. So long as people remember to stay active and try to contribute, rather than just lurk around aimlessly, others will continue to join and the forum will live.

Basically it's a multiplying effect. The more people post, the more outsiders will become interested an decide to join and post.

It's a very simple formula.

Digital Dragon
06-10-2010, 03:57 PM
It is always fun to remember good old days, but if you compare now to then, think about what you were doing differently and how you can make these days ones you will remember fondly. most people who look back to the good old days end to look back to a time when they thought things were better even if they weren't.

The Rebel
06-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Dude, I am not going back to greeting EVERY single new member, every single day, of every week for years on end like I used to, lol.
From what I understand, the Madd Admirer is still lurking around. I even hear he's started stalking the ladies again. Now just to bring back cannibalism, and blanket theft.
Oh, and let's not forget the always busy Admiration Confessional thread, lol.

DOOM!
06-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I've changed it all, therebel. AF seemed too childish and self-defensive about it to me, so I shaped the place in my very image; deprived of soul, with corrupted moralities and shapeless points of view. I, the reaver of the Misc Forums, am the American McGee of your lost wonderland. I certainly don't miss those Mods, or shall I say ex-Mods, we got better, more fun ones now. The members who couldn't take the changes left a long time ago; fresher, rabid members came instead. And nobody admires anybody anymore because there's nothing to admire about us damned beings.

sa5m
06-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I got an admirer's e-mail the other day and I was like, "Whoa, I forgot this thing even existed!"

The Rebel
06-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Probably the Madd Admirer running rampant admiring folks again. I imagine he'd be the only one to do that if, like you say, most people have forgotten we even have that.
Oh, and McDoom,,,,, you a bad, bad man for taking away all the fun.

Diocletian
06-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Anyone willing to troll on a new account? No? There's the problem.

Not to mention a troll with a new schtik. Trolls like Mavericker tend to get boring once people try to sarcastically feed him. It's not funny once everyone starts doing it.

Eris
06-10-2010, 08:52 PM
The troll game is getting old. AF has seen so many trolls that all of the mods, and and most regular members see through them pretty much instantaneously. Most of the truly epic trolls operated back when trolls were not part of the public consciousness.

I mean, we had people starting flame wars going on for 15 pages by merely taunting the mods a bit. That sort of stuff just doesn't happen today.

Diocletian
06-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Because the mods don't even come on to the website anymore. The only mods that even come on anymore are Gja and yourself. AF really needs to consider a new look at moderators. I'm sure moderators are busy, but it doesn't take a whole lot of your lifetime to post two or three sentences in YOUR OWN FORUM.

Where's Kewii? Where's MuZ0NaZ and his/her practically dead forum? Where's MistressPooky? Not here. It also wouldn't hurt if our admins showed up and said hello every now and then instead of when something's going wrong.

Eris
06-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I know, the staff situation is pretty bad. I have no idea what's holding most of AF together.

Diocletian
06-10-2010, 09:16 PM
It's that occasional thread that pops up that just makes you laugh your butt off at what's going on. It's that occasional member that sticks out like a sore thumb, whether it's because they're awesome or simply stupid (like Yew Neek). We simply don't get that like as often as we should.

TheThunderBringer
06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
feels like he's missed out on some cool stuff, and wishes he had been there

-Ro-
06-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I got an admirer's e-mail the other day and I was like, "Whoa, I forgot this thing even existed!"

Thanks for posting that. Same thing happened to me the other day. Seriously, couldn't they just pm? :p

From what I understand, the Madd Admirer is still lurking around. I even hear he's started stalking the ladies again.

Don't know if it's the same person but I was contacted by someone. Kind of strange. I just told them to move on to other things and I haven't seen their user name pop up anymore unless they changed it. But they didn't go by "Madd Admirer".

On topic: I browsed through some old threads. Sounds like you guys had a blast. xD

CrimsonMoon
06-10-2010, 11:30 PM

I remember this one, and I still have people who still doesn't confess, lol. It was fun while it lasts. :closedeye

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Because the mods don't even come on to the website anymore. The only mods that even come on anymore are Gja and yourself. AF really needs to consider a new look at moderators. I'm sure moderators are busy, but it doesn't take a whole lot of your lifetime to post two or three sentences in YOUR OWN FORUM.

Hey, I come to AF maybe once or twice a day now, I just don't always post and never have any modding to do.

smile1010
06-11-2010, 11:01 AM
I remember them good 'ol days too.

It hasn't change drastically though. It's just been more professional then it was a few years ago.

The Rebel
06-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Thanks for posting that. Same thing happened to me the other day. Seriously, couldn't they just pm? :p

Don't know if it's the same person but I was contacted by someone. Kind of strange. I just told them to move on to other things and I haven't seen their user name pop up anymore unless they changed it. But they didn't go by "Madd Admirer".

On topic: I browsed through some old threads. Sounds like you guys had a blast. xD
As I recall, he only had Madd Admirer in his usertitle, not as a username. Could be anywhere really, lol.

Yeah, I know, the staff situation is pretty bad. I have no idea what's holding most of AF together.
Maybe it's the 1000 gallons of virtual glue I dumped into AF's server, lol.
I guess I didn't notice the "lack" of staff..

Skylar1
06-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Actually, I think some of it has to do with the leverage you permit on the spammy side of post/threads.

If you had been, instead, one of those nazi mods that deleted posts and closed threads at the first whiff of something that even remotely seemed like spam, this forum would have died long ago.

The Rebel
06-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I don't even recall the last time I heard of someone recieving a mark against them. Used to be if you got, what was it, like 5 strikes, they'd ban you for 3 days or whatever. And I think Princess AI hit me like 3 times in the first year or two.
But when I first got here, there wasn't any "post games" like now. We had serious threads, and the ever running Admiration Confession thread. Seriously, that thread reached something like version 20something.
But I still miss all the frighten noobs running around fearing for their blankets and their necks, lol. If only we still had Chii-chan's Place, that was a great place for spamming like mad, lol. Of course, it was weird when the forum bot started hitting on you, but hey why not.

Gjallarhorn
06-11-2010, 09:42 PM
@One of the above convos: To be fair, I have no life, so I'm here pretty much here whenever I'm not working...which is a lot. Hell, I read pretty much every post that gets made in most forums...

:banana:

Eris
06-11-2010, 09:52 PM
I don't even recall the last time I heard of someone recieving a mark against them. Used to be if you got, what was it, like 5 strikes, they'd ban you for 3 days or whatever. And I think Princess AI hit me like 3 times in the first year or two.

I hand them out occasionally. Usually to people I've warned time and time again that persist in misbehaving. But I'm really too much of a hippie to do it particularly frequently.

But when I first got here, there wasn't any "post games" like now. We had serious threads, and the ever running Admiration Confession thread. Seriously, that thread reached something like version 20something.

A long time ago, there was a post game free for all. But then people started Q_Q:ing over how people got high post counts from these, so they got banned.

Diocletian
06-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Do post counts even matter anymore? I'm pretty sure that's not even an issue anymore amongst users.

Eris
06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Do post counts even matter anymore? I'm pretty sure that's not even an issue anymore amongst users.

What?! Haven't you heard? Your post count is directly proportional to your value as a human being!

Seriously though, they're also a lot of work to moderate. So I'm glad there's just the two of them now.

Gjallarhorn
06-11-2010, 10:14 PM
In the old days post-counts were a good way to judge seniority (in terms of who'd been here for a long time) on the forums, but that was when the highest posters had only 2000-3000 posts. Now a kid can join, and a week later have several hundred posts. This is really just due to the greatly increased size of the forum.

Anime Forum
06-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Alright Rebel. I decided to post today for some reason. Check the introduction section, I left something that may make you feel happier, but I probably failed.

Rei
06-11-2010, 11:42 PM

Where's Kewii? Where's MuZ0NaZ and his/her practically dead forum? Where's MistressPooky? Not here. It also wouldn't hurt if our admins showed up and said hello every now and then instead of when something's going wrong.

Very true. Sophonax doesn't even turn up to clear up advertisements in his own section anymore.

The Rebel
06-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Alright Rebel. I decided to post today for some reason. Check the introduction section, I left something that may make you feel happier, but I probably failed.
OMG! lol Well,,,,, nice try? Honestly, that DID scare me. It just didn't have the comical flare our cannibals of old had. And now I honestly wish I could recall one of the more popular ones and have them post here so you could see how they did it. It,,,, it's hard to explain, guess you just had to be there for it, lol.

sa5m
06-12-2010, 12:38 AM
OMG! lol Well,,,,, nice try? Honestly, that DID scare me. It just didn't have the comical flare our cannibals of old had. And now I honestly wish I could recall one of the more popular ones and have them post here so you could see how they did it. It,,,, it's hard to explain, guess you just had to be there for it, lol.
Maybe it's because we know that CmPunk is a nice guy so his post didn't have as much effect on us.