PDA

View Full Version : Blech, Hollywood

Hideki Motosuwa.
06-07-2010, 03:06 PM
I know this is old news, but has anyone noticed how racist Hollywood is? They think they're so superior, and when they pick minorities to play roles, it's like they pick them to act and look stupid while the ones who they think are good get all the glory. The greatest example would be the cruel and unusual portrayal of Asians in the American movie industry in the past mostly, but even today, they're treated unfairly. Heck, there are even Caucasians playing Asians, when the role is originally meant for an Asian. Think Bruce Lee. He came up with the idea for the Kung fu series in Hollywood back in the 1960's, but Hollywood denied him the role, saying he was too "Chinese" for the role and that Americans would not watch it and that he was not a "bankable commodity." They gave the role to a Caucasian man named David Carradine. The role was meant for Bruce, who was to play an Asian character. In spite of Hollywood though, guess what he turned out to be? Oh yes, one of the most iconic stars in not only Hong Kong, but Hollywood history. Anyone else notice how Caucasians play the heroes and good guys when Asians are always the bad? In the documentary, "The Slanted Screen," it was revealed that there was a Hollywood movie, originally scripted for the bad guys to be white, and the heroes to be Asian, but the director (who is Caucasian), didn't want that. So he rewrote the whole script, changing the story completely. It's like Asians (and other nationalities) are made to be laughed at, thanks to Hollywood's ignorance and arrogance. Besides, the fight scenes in Hollywood movies will never compare to the ones in Asian cinema anyways IMO =P Btw, I'm not looking forward to seeing the new Karate Kid movie for several reasons. That's Hollywhite for you lol XD

Please discuss :) Anyone agree? disagree? Please tell me why. Enlighten me ;)

The Nightingale
06-07-2010, 03:26 PM
I agree, and really am ashamed at USA x.x
I'm really sorry that people have to deal with racism, it is really horrible and I wish everyone was treated equal around here...

I promise that when I go to be a director, I will not be racist and accept EVERYONE!

DOOM!
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
That coming from an asian.

Robin Sena
06-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Hollywood bloody sucks.

Ryuuzaki HD
06-07-2010, 05:36 PM
http://www.realbollywood.com/news/up_images/11113087.jpg
No.

Diocletian
06-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Hey, Hideki remember when Tom Cruise was the Last Samurai? Another white person just took another Asian's job. Those damn white people man coming into our country and taking our jobs.

3pleT
06-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Hey, Hideki remember when Tom Cruise was the Last Samurai? Another white person just took another Asian's job. Those damn white people man coming into our country and taking our jobs.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2568/terkerderr.jpg
DERKA DERRRRR!!!!

Kaname Shikara
06-07-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm from USA and I agree with what he is saying. It is very wrong for Hollywood to do this. I absolutely HATE racism. What's the point? Making themselves feel superior by denying an Asian the role that was meant for him/her? All because they are Asian? That's bull crap in the lightest of terms without using a different word. If someone is capable of the role and will be the best one fit for the role, GIVE THEM THE ROLE. Right? >____>

Diocletian
06-07-2010, 06:30 PM
I'll have you know Jackie Chan is one of the most financially stable men in America because of Rush Hour. All he had to do was sacrifice a little bit of dignity with all the Asian jokes.

smile1010
06-24-2010, 01:02 AM
Btw, I'm not looking forward to seeing the new Karate Kid movie for several reasons. That's Hollywhite for you lol XD

The karate kid movie was directed by Harald Zwart. He's not Caucasian, he was born in Netherlands, raised in Norway.

But I agree with you in a way. I mean for the Dragon Ball Z movie,...they cast a white guy. how does that make any sense??

Kaitou Ace
06-24-2010, 02:10 AM

Last Samurai was just a ripoff of James Clavell's Shogun

Velvet_Nightmare
06-24-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm assuming you never saw "Godzilla: Finals Wars," where both Americans and Canadians were made to look like idiots. Hollywood aren't the only ones who poke fun at races.

-GAZKUL-
06-24-2010, 01:53 PM
i agree, there should be more minorities in hollywood movies, also the fact that the bad guys are nearly always black or asian just pisses me off.

even though it's not hollywood i think a special mention should go to Night of the Living Dead as it had a black actor as the hero in 1968. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_living_dead

Wolfie Poo
06-24-2010, 02:34 PM
I agree, Hollywood has been racist. Although, it's not always towards Asians. Other nationalities as well get kicked to the curve because of their accent or appearance wise, and either land on roles that are ridiculously short or demeaning.

Datenshi
06-26-2010, 02:52 AM
I'm assuming you never saw "Godzilla: Finals Wars," where both Americans and Canadians were made to look like idiots. Hollywood aren't the only ones who poke fun at races.

This. Having grown up watching movies in a country that is blatantly and unapologetically stereotypical (I refrain from saying racist because, being a relatively homogenous country, race is essentially a non-issue; it's more an ignorance towards other races than racism per se) towards other races, I've never understood the complaints made against Hollywood. I suppose the United States just has a lower tolerance for such matters.

chaotic.rune
06-26-2010, 10:56 PM
I'll have you know Jackie Chan is one of the most financially stable men in America because of Rush Hour. All he had to do was sacrifice a little bit of dignity with all the Asian jokes.
agreed

International 4-8818
06-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Whities bringin everyone down!

wolfgirl90
06-27-2010, 02:00 PM

Agreed. Hollywood has been blatantly racist in the past (and they still are), however, for every movie that focuses on one race being stupid, there is another where a bunch of races are acting stupid. And then even more where race is not (or rather shouldn't be) a factor. If it does, then it says more about you than the movie itself.

Also, a few of you have issues with Hollywood that are SERIOUSLY unfounded. The issue with the Kung-Fu series was not that Bruce Lee was supposed to be in the series but rather that he supposedly came up with the idea and Warner Bros stole it from him (while the idea is the same, there really is no prove that Warner Bros stole anything and I am not about to assume that they did). During an interview, Bruce Lee mentioned the fact that there would be a good chance that his idea (called Warriors) would not be aired because of the fact that he was Chinese and that he would not be "marketable"; a fact that he understood because of the fact that if the situation were reversed, white Americans in Hong Kong, it would be the exact same difficulty.

And the Last Samurai? Can someone please explain how the HELL Tom Cruise stole the role away from an Asian? The story (in case anybody actually saw the movie instead of outright bashing it for no reason) was that an American soldier was sent to Japan and during a re-assignment, was ordered to help with the Meiji Restoration. During this time, he is captured by samurai during an attack and during his captivity, becomes intrigued with their lifestyle and agrees to help them while at the same time being helped himself (yes, this is Dances with Wolves and Avatar; but with swords). How exactly did he take the role away from an Asian?:rolleyes:

There are plenty of things to be mad at Hollywood for (like the blatant white washing in The Last Airbender), but let's make sure we are mad at the right things.:closedeye

-Batman-
06-28-2010, 04:18 AM
Oh...This thread...

A few point's I'd like to bring up.

Btw, I'm not looking forward to seeing the new Karate Kid movie for several reasons. That's Hollywhite for you lol XD

Holly...White?
Now who's being racist?
To start with, most of the movie takes place in china.
Second, most of the cast is Asian.
Third, the Karate Kid isn't even White in this remake, he's Black.

They think they're so superior, and when they pick minorities to play roles, it's like they pick them to act and look stupid while the ones who they think are good get all the glory.

...What? Let's look at say...African American actors alone for a moment.
Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Morgan Freeman, Don Cheadle,Laurence Fishburne,Terrence Howard, Forest Whitaker, Samuel L. Jackson just to name a few off the top of my head.

Because when I think of these men, I think no talent hacks who are hired to "Act and look stupid" while all the white actors get all the glory.

The greatest example would be the cruel and unusual portrayal of Asians in the American movie industry in the past mostly, but even today, they're treated unfairly. Heck, there are even Caucasians playing Asians, when the role is originally meant for an Asian. Think Bruce Lee. He came up with the idea for the Kung fu series in Hollywood back in the 1960's, but Hollywood denied him the role, saying he was too "Chinese" for the role and that Americans would not watch it and that he was not a "bankable commodity." They gave the role to a Caucasian man named David Carradine. The role was meant for Bruce, who was to play an Asian character. In spite of Hollywood though, guess what he turned out to be? Oh yes, one of the most iconic stars in not only Hong Kong, but Hollywood history.

This is a horrible example.
For starter's, you're talking the 1960's Which is

-Roughly 15 years after World War II
-During the Vietnam War

Now...What does War tend to do to an otherwise rational "Patriot"? Think back to 9/11 and "Operation Iraqi Freedom". Now consider the fact that there were a loooot less open minded individuals back in the 60's in America.

Think about itfor a moment and you'll probably understand why a director would conclude an Asian American lead back in 1960's America probably wouldn't have been popular.

And here's another scenario for you.
We have two films. Both films are equally well written, the effects in both are equal in quality, and both have the same exact budget.

One is a retelling of Journey to the West. The main character, Sun Wukong, is played by a highly skilled Asian actor.

One is a retelling of The Sword in the Stone. The main character, King Arthur, is played by a highly skilled White actor.

Both of these films are equally promoted and released on the same day to a mostly Asian demographic.

Which one of those two movies do you think is going to do better in a market dominated by Asian's, honestly?

"The Slanted Screen," it was revealed that there was a Hollywood movie, originally scripted for the bad guys to be white, and the heroes to be Asian, but the director (who is Caucasian), didn't want that. So he rewrote the whole script, changing the story completely.

Care to list some sources that aren't Steven Seagal and Chuck Norris films? Because aside from those, I really can't think of many.

It's like Asians (and other nationalities) are made to be laughed at, thanks to Hollywood's ignorance and arrogance. Besides, the fight scenes in Hollywood movies will never compare to the ones in Asian cinema

Honestly? I watch a lot of movies.
I'm a fan of many genre's, and I've seen my share of bad actor's and good actor's.
And Hell, I'm an Italian and Irish American, and I'll be the first to point out that some of the worst actors I see in Hollywood films are white. And I've seen a lot of movie's featuring Asian's...Not once have I ever sat through one of those movies and said "Hhahhahahah Asian's laugh at them".
And other minorities? All of those African American actor's I listed above? Academy Award winner's and nominee's, all of them. And among them, some of my favorite actors in general.
Every race has good actors and bad actors.

And one thing I'd like to point out...The target demographic for a lot of those "These black people are stupid!" movies are...Guess what...Black People.
Kind of like how all of the "These white people are stupid!" movies are aimed at, you guessed it, white people.
Same with the "These spanish people are stupid!" movies being aim at Spanish people, and so on.
Any one ethnic background hates when another ethnic background insults them, but love to make fun of themselves.

American Cinema does tend to be dominated by Whites, but...You're actually surprised by this? Roughly 68% of the united state's is made up of White people. As of the last complete census taken in 2008.

And if you really care so much about what some directors said to Bruce Lee during an era you weren't even alive in, then there's no hope for you.

Furore
06-28-2010, 04:25 AM
Though individuals can be fine sometimes, how many larger groups of people out there don't start displaying xenophobic tendencies after a while?
It happens the majority of the time and it definitely isn't just Hollywood. In fact, I've heard Japan itself is rather xenophobic as a whole.
It's why I personally prefer smaller groups of people, less stupidity/sheep syndrome.

EDIT: Smaller groups of STRONG people. Even some smaller groups are effected. :sweatdrop

3pleT
06-29-2010, 03:41 AM
Though individuals can be fine sometimes, how many larger groups of people out there don't start displaying xenophobic tendencies after a while?
It happens the majority of the time and it definitely isn't just Hollywood. In fact, I've heard Japan itself is rather xenophobic as a whole.
It's why I personally prefer smaller groups of people, less stupidity/sheep syndrome.

EDIT: Smaller groups of STRONG people. Even some smaller groups are effected. :sweatdrop

FACT: Other than the select few, all people you (or pretty much anyone else) will ever meet will be complete idiots. But hey, at least they're easy to manipulate.