PDA

View Full Version : Is Windows XP Obselete?

Romeo_Delight.exe
06-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Inspired by this question being asked various times on various forums~

Is XP obsolete? Outdated? Dieing?
Maybe it's already dead?

I'll tell you what, I personally find that it's very obsolete, and if it isn't dead, needs to die soon less it hold back the rest of the tech world with it's inferiority. (Though, I still use it on BOTH my laptop, and desktop xDD)

True fact, XP is the reason Firefox is so insecure right now. :3
Mozilla builds Firefox to be aimed at XP users. Thus, they don't use newer security features. This will be changing in the future though, don't worry.

Opinions?

Furore
06-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Obsolete? No.
Outdated? Yes.

It's still my favoured version of Windows, but that's mostly as I'm change resistant, have used programs like those from Stardock to achieve transparent start menus/windows long before they were introduced in Windows OSes themselves and favour XP's higher compatibility with some older applications which I just can't run on Windows 7 sans an emulator or virtual box despite assurances of increased compatibility.

As far as browsers go, I prefer Opera. Faster, uses less system resources and often pioneers features that later make their way into Firefox like that speed dial page showing several sites. With a much smaller marketshare it gets targetted less too.

Though amusingly if it wasn't for games and a few apps that get a little iffy with workaround solutions I'd probably just use Linux or FreeBSD exclusively.

Eris
06-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Most older operating systems find some niche where they live on.

MS-DOS is heavily used in timing-sensitive environments, for example, as it's strictly single-process and does what you want when you want it, and little else. So you find it in computers controlling time-sensitive machinery or science equipment.

truthillusion
06-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Obsolete? No.
Outdated? Yes.

That about sums it all up.

GameGeeks
06-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Considering Windows 7 hasn't been out for too long I wouldn't say it's outdated. Especially since most people hated Windows Vista. I wouldn't consider XP outdated till 7 has been out a few more years and people have a chance to convert. Not everyone can afford the latest OS right away. Especially considering things like XP Compatibility Mode only exists on the two most expensive versions of the OS. I believe the min price for that is a hundred and twenty dollars. Not something a lot of people can afford right now.

.Sev
06-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Considering Windows 7 hasn't been out for too long I wouldn't say it's outdated. Especially since most people hated Windows Vista. I wouldn't consider XP outdated till 7 has been out a few more years and people have a chance to convert. Not everyone can afford the latest OS right away. Especially considering things like XP Compatibility Mode only exists on the two most expensive versions of the OS. I believe the min price for that is a hundred and twenty dollars. Not something a lot of people can afford right now.

Have you heard of the term, "Took the words right out of my mouth?"
That would apply here. That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say. :closedeye

Aizmov
06-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Yes it is obsolete, it is 9 years old for heaven's sake!!!

IE9 wont be even released for XP and IE9 is good.

Digital Dragon
06-10-2010, 04:51 PM
There are still people using Windows '98. THAT is outdated.

GameGeeks
06-10-2010, 05:13 PM

Considering IE8 was only released a year ago IE9 is still in early development and it could be a year or two before that's released. Besides there are plenty of other browsers to pick from that are better then IE, like Fire Fox or Opera. So that's not really a big concern and obsolete one program does not make.

narunaru
06-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Perhaps it is, but damn if I don't find myself wishing every day that I had again.
Windows 7 is craptastic.

Eris
06-10-2010, 07:46 PM

It's not like XP SP3 is identical to what was released 9 years ago. Using that broken logic, Linux is 19 years old, and MacOSX is 25 years old (the kernel is, at any rate).

Miss Moonlight
06-10-2010, 08:16 PM
No, I am still using XP home on a 8 year old desktop (with SP2 - SP 3 and 4 I didn't want to install, those packs are huge.) It works fine as long as I maintain it properly.

That doesn't mean I don't want the latest windows, but i'm broke, so, XP is good enough for now.

chaotic.rune
06-11-2010, 03:00 AM
hmm... define obselete? i guess it's not that outdated. i'm planning of setting my laptop back to xp since windows 7 can't run games and some of the applications (mostly my wacom apps). windows should make something like a xp and 7 hybrid... craptastic? yep *thumbs up*

GameGeeks
06-11-2010, 08:31 AM
^Depending on the version of 7 you have there may be an xp compatibility option. But like I said that, unfortunately, is only on the last to versions of the OS.

miniPhil
06-12-2010, 11:19 AM
That doesn't mean I don't want the latest windows, but i'm broke, so, XP is good enough for now.
Basically this. My laptop is very old. The monitor has lines down it and its begun to blue screen on me. I'm saving up every penny I have now for a new laptop but am slightly worried that some of my old programs wont work on seven.

Rei
06-12-2010, 11:25 AM
*rolleyes* my school computers still use XP. But I'm using vista on my laptop.

@miniPhil: Wow, exactly how old is your laptop? o_O

miniPhil
06-12-2010, 11:33 AM
@miniPhil: Wow, exactly how old is your laptop? o_O
I don't know, I got it second hand so it could be any age. I only bought it second hand because of some of the ridiculously expensive programs already on it and it would well suck if they didn't work on seven.

Rei
06-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Oh that'd be crap. xq I like vista though. And if I get seven, I'm getting the japanese version. For its mascot.

TheAsterisk!
06-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Only if you neglect service packs and the like.
I suppose I could point out that the original 10.0 release of Mac OS X is also from 2001, by similar reasoning, neglecting to consider the newer, updated versions- much like Windows's service packs.

Just means that Microsoft wants XP regarded as obsolete, in order to encourage Win7 purchases, not that it actually is obsolete.

Using that broken logic, Linux is 19 years old, and MacOSX is 25 years old (the kernel is, at any rate).
Yeah, kinda, but it's not about the kernel, apparently, or else Aizmov would have been able to say that XP was far, far older than a mere nine years aged- as old as the NT kernel, right? What does that go back to- '92, '93? Something like that... So, seventeen years, then?
Given the figure of nine years, 'snot the kernel, just the name.

Still wrong, though, on account of other silly implications.

1gn1t0r
06-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Duh. Obviously its obsolete.

Look at the age of that thing.

whiteball
07-01-2010, 01:31 PM
I did not agree, Window XP is better for single PC and for networking. I have been using Window XP since 5 Years and i am fully satisfied and having no problem.

Kagome
07-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Perhaps it is, but damn if I don't find myself wishing every day that I had again.
Windows 7 is craptastic.

Windows 7 isn't bad...Vista-everyone will agree was craptastic. But 7 is niether better nor worse than Xp. It's about the same I find. Save for the nice little thing you can do with pip-screens that you couldn't on Xp or Vista...Which I like. But-anyhoos.

Xp isn't "obsolete" not yet anyway. Though it is hella outdated.

Skylar1
07-01-2010, 03:19 PM
I used to not think so, until recently when I had to fix the network connections for someones computer, and I saw XP for the first time in a long while, I was like

"eh, yeah, 7 is way prettier and cleaner looking"

Not that I don't like XP, it certainly never gave me anything to complain about. lol

blueangel06661
07-01-2010, 03:25 PM
I don't think XP is outdated or obsolete.

It's what I use on my laptop and truthfully I don't mind it. Sure the newer things like vista and windows 7 has much cooler features and things but windows XP serves it's purpose which is to make my laptop run. As long as it does that with efficiency I have no complaints about it. Sure I'd like to have a broader selection of themes rather than the ones I've been given. But oh well I can't afford an upgrade so I'm not going to get one.

Capernicus
07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Wow... when did AF start allowing guests to post? o_o Must have come with the update. Is that a feature that's going to stay?

Anyway... uh... I liked XP. I run VISTA on my laptop, and I kinda miss XP. Looking forward to getting Windows 7 in the future though.

There are still people using Windows '98. THAT is outdated.

My desktop is Windows '98. XP

expt
07-21-2010, 12:11 AM
I would like to know if Windows XP will not be shipped along with any notebooks or computers that we buy.I'm looking into buying a new pc but would like to know if it would be better to buy vista premium . I'm not seeing much of xp around when I'm shopping mostly vista.

Nanuq
07-21-2010, 12:24 AM
I still use XP and I agree with whoever said it was outdated. I don't believe it's obsolete.

Kaitou Ace
07-21-2010, 01:52 AM
You should be getting Win 7 if you're going for a microsoft OS. XP was pretty decent once, but it is rather outdated now, and since support and drivers are dwindling, I would not recommend getting it. There is no point getting a Vista machine either.

Light Buster
07-21-2010, 03:36 PM
I still use XP on my desktop computer at home but on the go with my laptop, I use Windows 7.

JustinPZFX
07-21-2010, 05:17 PM
As others have said, yes it is probably a little out-of-date. However, to say it's obsolete when it still preforms and functions quite well (in my opinion) would be wasteful on my small wallet. I have been tempted to update to Windows 7, though. I just haven't found any problems yet that would require my needing to upgrade to that.

...I'll change when I have to!

yohouseofreno
07-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Its not obsolete just yet. The truth is many companies have switched to 7 and then switched back to xp because its cheaper and optimized for business. But if your talking about for a home pc then 7 is so much better and convenient.

alen1234
07-29-2010, 08:29 AM
we have paid version of XP running in our office does it going to expire if yes then how could we can refreash its products key who will replace it with new one because window 7 have some limitations in office envoirenment.please let me more informed about it

Kitsune-kun
07-30-2010, 02:07 AM
It's not obsolete but it's like using a PS1 when you've downloaded all the games you play on your PS3 already. XP is slower and has more porblems than windows 7 and as many have said the drivers and support are dying out. Just save up some cash and update.

Ultimate_Go_Nagai_Fan
08-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Well, it might be old, but I'd still use XP over 7. But that probably is just because XP works with my OCD better. XD

SigmaSD
08-22-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm using xp right now, as a matter of fact. Perhaps I should upgrade. But that would mean buying a new laptop since my current one only supports up to windows vista, and I hate vista.

xAria
08-22-2010, 05:16 PM
---^ Its either Windows 7 or Windows XP :)

Hm. It would and is being used as a home usage nowadays, isn't it?

Killapac
08-28-2010, 01:07 PM
I say it's outdated for the simple fact that some of the newer software and games coming out are only for Windows Vista and up.

The Rebel
08-31-2010, 11:58 AM
I say it's outdated for the simple fact that some of the newer software and games coming out are only for Windows Vista and up.

True,,,, but what about alot of the older programs that will only run on XP?
Right now, I have XP on my desktop and my laptop. Originally the laptop had Vista and was designed hardware wise to only run Vista, but I spent $220 for XP and downgraded, and several months finding drivers that work, (and keep those on a portable drive) and am now fairly happy with it. I hated Vista! So far, XP has the functionality I need, which Vista lacked (like a menu listing for Moving a group of selected files).
If I ever get another laptop, I MIGHT try Windows 7, but I won't change over my other machines. Like mentioned before by others, I have alot of programs that aren't supported by Win 7, and some are expensive programs. I'm not going to upgrade and then have to find out if they have a upgraded version of these programs and fork out MORE money to re-buy those programs for Win7. Even now, Photoshop is still about the same price as a low-mid priced laptop. I don't have that kind of scratch, and as mentioned, I doubt many do with the economy like it is.
But I do wonder one thing? Just WHAT is the deal with the Win7 mascot? Is it really all that?

Maha Vailo
08-31-2010, 07:02 PM
It's fairly old, now that Windows 7 is out, but I wouldn't say it's totally dead yet. Personally I hate Vista and 7, so I refuse to upgrade. I don't play too many PC games and there aren't any programs that I'm dying to have, so XP will suffice until I'm ready to get a new comp (i.e. when I actually have the money for one, heh.)

Mrmojorisin74
09-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I use Windows XP, it may be an earlier version but it's less buggy than Windows Vista. As long as my computer survives I'll always have XP on it.

Hanamaru Kunikida
09-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Windows 7>XP>Vista.

I used to have XP but now I has 7.

Killapac
09-04-2010, 02:45 PM
True,,,, but what about alot of the older programs that will only run on XP?
Right now, I have XP on my desktop and my laptop. Originally the laptop had Vista and was designed hardware wise to only run Vista, but I spent $220 for XP and downgraded, and several months finding drivers that work, (and keep those on a portable drive) and am now fairly happy with it. I hated Vista! So far, XP has the functionality I need, which Vista lacked (like a menu listing for Moving a group of selected files).
If I ever get another laptop, I MIGHT try Windows 7, but I won't change over my other machines. Like mentioned before by others, I have alot of programs that aren't supported by Win 7, and some are expensive programs. I'm not going to upgrade and then have to find out if they have a upgraded version of these programs and fork out MORE money to re-buy those programs for Win7. Even now, Photoshop is still about the same price as a low-mid priced laptop. I don't have that kind of scratch, and as mentioned, I doubt many do with the economy like it is.
But I do wonder one thing? Just WHAT is the deal with the Win7 mascot? Is it really all that?

I liked Vista a lot i never had any problems with. I think Windows 7 is so over rated its too much like using a mac. I think that Microsoft needs to rethink the whole OS game.

Dark Regent
09-05-2010, 01:16 AM
I think Windows 7 is so over rated its too much like using a mac.

7 is nothing like using a Mac.

Windows 7 is comparable to XP in stability and usability. It is what Vista should have been to begin with. With Vista as the other option there was a reason to cling to XP but now that 7 is out it will begin to disappear. There's also the fact that XP is only useful with the 32-bit version as the 64-bit version never got proper support and drivers were scarce. Vista was the only real way to go 64-bit and as others have said it was terrible.

GG - Don't confuse Windows XP Mode with the Compatibility Mode which every version of 7 has and is useful when installing older applications.

As I assume many of us here are students, there are other ways to get Windows 7 at a discount. I know the ME department at my University was offering free licenses to students for Windows 7 Professional so check with the IT department at your school.

Microsoft also has a deal for students to get Windows 7 and Office 2010 for cheap. You can get Windows 7 Professional 64-bit for $30, Office 2010 for $80. The only thing you need is an "edu" email address so I'm not sure if they'll work with high school students.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/office/en-us/default.aspx

Gero50
09-05-2010, 12:52 PM
It will be some tome tol P truly dies. There are still to many devices that can benefit from smaller modified versions of XP. These may include some netbooks, and other small tablit devices. While Windows 7 did make it easier for these devices XP still remains. The other major reason is due to corporations. There are still a lot of companies that relay on Windows XP because this is what they have always used. For them to upgrade would not only cost far to much financially. It would require training of most employees. This to would be a huge cost. Though sometime they will be forced to upgrade to whatever the standards are to ensure they can use support.

Marin
10-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Inspired by this question being asked various times on various forums~

Is XP obsolete? Outdated? Dieing?
Maybe it's already dead?

I'll tell you what, I personally find that it's very obsolete, and if it isn't dead, needs to die soon less it hold back the rest of the tech world with it's inferiority. (Though, I still use it on BOTH my laptop, and desktop xDD)

True fact, XP is the reason Firefox is so insecure right now. :3
Mozilla builds Firefox to be aimed at XP users. Thus, they don't use newer security features. This will be changing in the future though, don't worry.

Opinions?

This post is like, copy-pasted from a thread I made in another forum! Almost word for word... Creepy. TTATT *feels stalked*

Windows XP is obsolete. Saying it's not obsolete because it still works is like saying that wiping your teeth with a do-rag is not obsolete compared to using a tooth brush.

animedvdstore88
10-16-2010, 06:35 AM
Alot of old computer hardware would still need windows XP.. as it is really save from hardware resource....

Captian Jack sparrow
01-01-2011, 03:24 PM
In my opinion windows XP is not obsolete windows 7 has more issues than most people realize cause i have one and i prefer windows XP just due to the fact that it's a reliable os and dosen't crash unless i do something to make it XD.

TheAsterisk!
01-03-2011, 03:07 PM
XP is slower and has more porblems than windows 7...
No.
New computers- those sold with 7- are much more powerful than old computers- those sold with XP. That is the cause of your speed disparity, possibly along with the age of XP installations.

On the other hand, if you know a way to get Windows 7 installed onto a computer with 256 MB of memory, a 20 GB hard drive and a single-core processor around 900 MHz, and you can make it run faster than XP on the same hardware, I will hail you as The Messiah, form a fringe sect and attract plenty of other geeky followers to worship Your Holiness.
'Til then, 7 is a fat, power-hungry, hardware-gobbling monster of an OS.

Ranshiin
01-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Windows 7 isn't bad...Vista-everyone will agree was craptastic. But 7 is niether better nor worse than Xp. It's about the same I find. Save for the nice little thing you can do with pip-screens that you couldn't on Xp or Vista...Which I like. But-anyhoos.

Xp isn't "obsolete" not yet anyway. Though it is hella outdated.
Vista is craptastic. I concur.

/very late reply

In other news, I don't see Windows XP being labelled as 'obselete' until two things happen: 1) DirectX 10 (or DirectX 11) becomes the standard for gaming, and 2) when Microsoft actually decides to stop putting out updates and patches for the OS (like they eventually did with 2K and 98)

Although since I haven't used XP properly in well over a year, I don't actually know if Microsoft has announced XP's end of life. All I know is that for playing DirectX9 games, XP offers far superior performance to Vista (and a little more than W7)

DeathBlade/13.666
01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
XP won't become outdated until at least 2015, and won't become obsolete until a new Windows OS comes along and makes it look like Win 95. And besides, even in the year 2011, there's still people using Win 98, 2000, and ME. Win 7's good, but XP will still be around for a while.

Ranshiin
01-05-2011, 07:45 AM
And besides, even in the year 2011, there's still people using Win 98, 2000, and ME.

We just lost the game.

:mellow:

Anyways, sometime this month or next month I'm supposed to be doing a placement at a computer tech store, and I've been there and the guys there sell refurbished computers with copies of XP - so yeah, it's going to be a while before XP itself stops being used in the mainstream sense.

I don't think it'll last until 2015 though. Microsoft will have made Windows 8 by then, and everyone will likely have switched to W7. It's very difficult to find a brand-new OEM system being sold with XP on it now (netbooks don't count). :P

Nanobyte
01-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Fact is: Windows XP is a very stable operating system, and it's very easy in use. This is why my school sticks to Windows XP, while the computers are even BUILT for W7. Also, for security reasons. Windows XP is still a nice, small (qua file size) for a netbook. Windows XP is the biggest succes of the last decade. (From Microsoft at least, that is.)

DeathBlade/13.666
01-05-2011, 09:14 AM
I don't think it'll last until 2015 though. Microsoft will have made Windows 8 by then, and everyone will likely have switched to W7. It's very difficult to find a brand-new OEM system being sold with XP on it now (netbooks don't count). :P
Actually, the our a few folks that I know that still use Win 98. Mostly due to certain programs being too DOS based for Win XP (Though they are really rare.) that they still use and need for their business, and are too cheap for a program upgrade. Plus it's not as hard as you think, you just have to go to a local computer store instead of Best Buy and Wal-Mart. Plus if you already have the program, it's not that hard to re-apply it to the new computer. I know this because this is what the folks that still use 98 do when their computer dies...It may be 2013 when XP is at that stage, but it won't be until 2015 or later when it goes the way of 95. As for Computer's being built to run Win 7, yes new computers are. But if you know what you're doing, it's not that hard to put Win 7 on an old computer without upgrading the hardware. But at the same token, it's stupid to do so, if you're gonna spend a little to put Win 7 on an old computer, you might as well spend a little more to make running Win 7 worthwhile. But that's if you're doing more than getting on the internet, and playing Solitaire on your computer.

Btw, Who lost what game Mac?

Ranshiin
01-05-2011, 01:17 PM
The game. You know. The game. The game you just lost.

:P

And to be more severely ontopic: Who in their right minds uses Windows ME? it's probably the worst operating system that Microsoft ever put out. I would rather use Windows 95, although that isn't exactly giving that OS any credit.

I didn't say people don't use anything other than W7 though; at my local jobcentre they still use Windows 2000. It is as you said ... a case of compatibility and cost. But I really don't expect people to still be using these very outdated OS in four years; the price of W7 will surely have dropped significantly by then at the least (right now it is pretty much a scam >_>). The only people still using outdated OS are the people that are dependent on compatibility with old software - namely businesses. The bogstandard home user isn't going to care about running really old programs since most people these days simply have a computer to use the Internet, and aren't going to care either way about installing old OS to run old programs. I can see gamers clinging to XP for a few years more (as I said) as well but that's it; in three or four years these businesses that rely on old software are probably going to end up dropping the hammer and getting round to upgrading. x.x

I hate long posts.

DeathBlade/13.666
01-05-2011, 01:37 PM
I never lose!!!! >:O And The Air Force on certain computers uses Win ME. Plus if people are still using Win 98 in 2011, why would they do that four years from now, or at least upgrade to Win XP four years from now.?

Aleyna
01-15-2011, 10:25 AM
It's definitely becoming pretty outdated, but I still like it. It's on my dad's computer, and it's crashed 3 times within the past 5 months, so he is going to purchase a new computer sometime soon.

sikander
01-29-2011, 11:11 PM
I think though new versions have been released like vista and windows 7 , Xp still remains my favourite . Xp hardly produce any troublle and its is best for home use . Vista and win 7 are mostly required for office use but they have been creating some problems .

リッキー
01-30-2011, 06:18 AM
I prefer not to upgrade for the reason that Microsoft has enough money and is only looking for more ways to rip it out of people. Regardless Vista was a resource consuming failure, and W7 was only built to amuse people who hated Vista. XP is great for whatever you need it for; the only need to have another OS would be to run programs that cannot be used on XP.With all the in mind, I'd rather keep the few hundred.

sugarburn
01-30-2011, 02:18 PM
XP got its job done, and I use it every day, because I have to. But in terms of features and user interface, I would compare it to a gigantic update of Windows 2000. Win 7 can be lots more pleasant to use if you have some deluxe hardware specs.

Anyway, Microsoft decides when XP is obsolete, if your box is connected to the Internet. On the day of the last security patch from MS, your engines are out and it's a question of how long you can glide...

konkikushuro
01-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Obsolete as in outdated, and just plain "old looking" yes, yes it is.
I hate the old windows i'm the type to go with a more sleek and "Professional" look towards technology.
I LOVE VISTA and kinda hate 7...
I may be 14 but seeing as how i love technology and hate it being in the wrong hands (e.g. schools) it really gets on my nerves, personally i like vista it's pretty good ans the CPU it's self is smart.
I grew up with IE so personally i'm attachted to it and say it puts all other browsers to shame.
To me Firefox just sucks in every category, i mean sucks like XBOX360 during a call of duty zombie map pack disconnection suck.

TenguSan
01-30-2011, 09:52 PM
technically XP is quite obsolete. still does not mean that it is good to have though.

I used to use XP for.. over 5 years now. i have only very recently started using W7 after i got a new computer (because the old one broke). I like W7 except that some features can be hard to find and harder to use.

So XP is still good in that it is comparatively lite and is also easier to use. It still has its advantages i suppose

Ambivalent
01-31-2011, 11:10 AM
of course it is. Windows 7 is better in every respect.

Videogamer555
01-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Win XP is NOT obsolete. EVERYTHING AFTER it is obsolete. Vista and Seven SUCK A$$!!!!!!! I'd recommend anyone downgrade to XP if they have Vista or Seven.

Token Black Guy
01-31-2011, 12:58 PM
I have Windows 7 on my laptop and it's good, but i sill like Windows Xp. It's a stable and easy to use OS, so no i don't think it's obsolete.

SirDan
02-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Everyone knows Windows 98 is where it's at!

Navigator
04-11-2011, 11:41 PM
hahaha. Well I have Windows 7 right now. And before that I had Vista. Wow! I HATED Vista!
It bugged the hell outta me! I am loving Windows 7 though. BUT! If I had a super awesome computer
that still had Windows XP on it, I would so switch. I love it. I don't know why but all the other computers
I had with it on it, I loved. But yeah, it's very outdated. I think a lot of people still use it though. It's a pretty
nice version. (:

YuriEcchiGirl
05-05-2011, 05:56 AM
I personally don't think that Windows XP (home or office editions) is becoming outdated as such just yet ^^

The Strategist
05-05-2011, 11:35 AM
In my personal experience (I'm an IT guy) Windows XP is the most stable operating system by far... I've been fixing computers for 3 years now.. thank god windows 7 appeared because Vista gave me so much headaches!! well right now I'm using windows XP and I'm really happy with it!

battousai_ryuu
05-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I can't see that Windows XP would be obselete because alot of businesses are still using it because it is so stable. I have Vista now and I'm debating on going back to XP or moving up to Windows 7. XP professional was awesome.

The Strategist
05-05-2011, 12:29 PM
I can't see that Windows XP would be obselete because alot of businesses are still using it because it is so stable. I have Vista now and I'm debating on going back to XP or moving up to Windows 7. XP professional was awesome.

take my advice get XP or 7 because vista sucks.

Tearsh
06-16-2011, 11:20 PM
I would prefer a Windows XP then a Windows Vista, but yes the Windows XP is outdated, and I'm currently on a Windows 7, and I like them, pretty smooth

Srk
06-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Windows XP came out in what, 2002? It's almost a decade old. So yes, it is outdated, but surely not obsolete. I live in a small, close-knit community, and I'm sort of the local techie. Most of the PCs I have to tweak with are XP, and it's not [solely] because of the prices of the new OSs. People are used to XP, and they've found it to be the most stable OS to that point. I've never had to deal with Vista, so I can't complain about that. Windows 7 will definitely take the place of XP in time, in terms of reliability and stability. Things may be "hard to find and harder to use" just for the fact that if a person has used XP since it came out, and suddenly had to switch to W7, it's an extreme facelift. But yeah, come 2013, codename Windows 8 will be out, and XP will fade away a bit more.

Frederica Sawyer
06-17-2011, 03:30 AM
I personally don't think that Windows XP (home or office editions) is becoming outdated as such just yet ^^
This, essentially. I personally own two computers literally ten feet from each other; one a new Windows 7 and the other an old XP. ^^;;

zekes
06-28-2011, 02:59 AM
I don't think Windows XP is absolete since I can see a lot people still using it though there are Vista, Windows 7 and 8 operating system available on the market already.

KENDARRR
07-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Windows XP is definitely not outdated, I've been using it up until a week ago and that's only because I bought a new laptop that came with Windows 7. XD I personally like XP more. It's muuuuch easier to navigate. But I will agree it is outdated. XD

Vanilla Tsundere
07-22-2011, 07:57 AM
I don't think so. My father's computer still runs on XP and it works just fine~ :) I prefer Windows 7, but XP is still good in my book!

Aizmov
08-05-2011, 06:37 PM
It is 10 years old, that is beyond outdated.

GameGeeks
08-05-2011, 08:54 PM
It is 10 years old, that is beyond outdated.
Care to explain how? Sure it's old, but it's considered one of the best OSes Microsoft ever released. It's efficient and still does what 98% of the population needs. Sure it lacks 7's security but outside of that it does everything needed in an OS.

Aizmov
08-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Care to explain how? Sure it's old, but it's considered one of the best OSes Microsoft ever released. It's efficient and still does what 98% of the population needs. Sure it lacks 7's security but outside of that it does everything needed in an OS.

No it isn't. Windows 7 performs better than Windows XP will ever do. Windows XP can't utilize multicore processors efficiently, less efficient power management and has a 4GB limit of RAM support. Windows XP is old and it shows.

GameGeeks
08-07-2011, 09:59 PM
No it isn't. Windows 7 performs better than Windows XP will ever do. Windows XP can't utilize multicore processors efficiently, less efficient power management and has a 4GB limit of RAM support. Windows XP is old and it shows.
Yes, while that's true, that's due to the fact it's old. Old doesn't equal outdated. There weren't any multi-core processors when XP was released. Not to mention XP is probably the longest lasting OS by windows. Continuing to be updated till '08. Vista was only updated for three years and before that, previous OSes where only supported for a year. So, it's suffice to say that XP isn't out dated yet. And you only need multi-core processor support for one of two reasons, you work with video media or video games. Some how, I doubt that's the majority of users. Not to mention people who work with video media tend to use MACs. So your point was?

Ezza Obsuna
08-09-2011, 04:11 AM
I use Windows XP for my PC and Windows 7 for my laptop. I don't think it's obsolete. Many still use it. It's outdated though.

Aizmov
08-14-2011, 06:52 PM
I use Windows XP for my PC and Windows 7 for my laptop. I don't think it's obsolete. Many still use it. It's outdated though.

Isn't obsolete and outdated the same thing?

Using XP now is like using Windows 3 at the time of XP's release. You are using an OS that's more than 10 years old!

Assiduous✡Aristocrat
08-14-2011, 10:46 PM

Using XP now is like using Windows 3 at the time of XP's release. You are using an OS that's more than 10 years old!

Outdated;adj old-fashioned or obsolete.
Yerp.

GameGeeks
08-15-2011, 12:36 AM

Yes it's old, but it was updated till '08. And aside from the security update in 7 explain to me how 7 is a drastic enough update to warrant calling XP outdated. And think of how the average consumer would use an OS. So things like better multi-core or wireless support doesn't count. I mean the interface, folder management, etc.

FlashD
08-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Actually Windows XP is in Extended Support until 2014, which means that they won't be releasing new features or fixing functionality stuff, but will keep releasing security fixes.

What Windows 7 has that XP doesn't ... well, a new user interface to begin with, which offers more options per click, new applications (like the Snipping Tool, which saves you from that annoying print screen -> open Paint -> paste into Paint -> cut what you don't need -> save procedure), better and more friendly file and multimedia sharing in your home network, Windows Explorer gives you a better view on your storage devices, and a lot more. A lot of these features came with Vista already, the Snipping Tool was included in Windows Server 2003, but 7 just improves the experience. The downside of this is probably that the end-user needs to adapt to the new UI.

"Outdated" in software is not really a word used to define the features of a product, but it's support for today's standards and needs. Windows XP doesn't include newer and better security technologies today's circumstances require. If you have a PC that doesn't use the web or doesn't need the latest wireless encryption technologies you could argue why would you move from DOS to Windows 7, too.

Windows XP is obsolete for today's requirements, but if you don't need what it offers or your security environment doesn't require 7's security features, it's just fine as any other OS.

Aizmov
08-18-2011, 11:33 AM
There is more to Windows 7 than just security updates, there is a whole slew of new features.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7

Killapac
10-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't its outdated to me what makes a OS outdated is not being supported. Sure Windows 7 is better then XP but that does not make XP outdated since it is still be supported.

ACBlackJ0ck
10-30-2011, 06:09 PM
A lot of people I talk to (Both IRL and on the internet) that use XP seem to have a lot of problems with it over the past year and have compatibility issues with more recent printers and stuff like that so I think XP is defiantly getting to the point of being Obsolete.

ZombieWolf2508
10-30-2011, 06:58 PM
XP is far better than vista. I'd say Vista is obsolete.

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-30-2011, 07:05 PM
A lot of people seem to misunderstand the meaning of obsolete in this thread.

a : no longer in use or no longer useful <an obsolete word>
By this definition, Windows XP is not obsolete. However, you can use the same argument to say that the Commodore 64 or the Apple II aren't obsolete, so I question whether this is a useful argument. Yes, you can use a computer with XP as an internet PC, or to play older games without going into compatibility mode. For anything else, you're gimping yourself.

b : of a kind or style no longer current : old-fashioned <an obsolete technology>
Very obsolete, by this definition.

MusashiKatana
10-30-2011, 08:22 PM
A lot of people seem to misunderstand the meaning of obsolete in this thread.

By this definition, Windows XP is not obsolete. However, you can use the same argument to say that the Commodore 64 or the Apple II aren't obsolete, so I question whether this is a useful argument. Yes, you can use a computer with XP as an internet PC, or to play older games without going into compatibility mode. For anything else, you're gimping yourself.

Very obsolete, by this definition.

What if I also want to play new games and use heavy programs? How is Windows XP gimp there? You only get sound recorder on XP too. In Vista you can't edit sounds so in my opinion that is gimp. The sound recorder in Vista has no edit options, only record options. In XP you can record, edit, change the file size and type. There's a lot more things like that too and I hate User Account Control.

Vista also lags and XP on an awesome computer never lags. It is not obsolete. I'd choose it any day. I used to use sound recorder regularly too. I also hate the fact that I have to disable DEP just to stop causing errors. I hate having to remember "Run as Administrator" any little kid can read and it's stupid because if you're using the computer you're the Administrator.

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-30-2011, 09:27 PM
What if I also want to play new games and use heavy programs? How is Windows XP gimp there? You only get sound recorder on XP too. In Vista you can't edit sounds so in my opinion that is gimp. The sound recorder in Vista has no edit options, only record options. In XP you can record, edit, change the file size and type. There's a lot more things like that too and I hate User Account Control.Umm, new games (that aren't browser games or indie titles) typically require DX 11. XP has no DX11 compatibility. And, unless you are happy running very old versions of Photoshop et al and are comfortable with the lack of 5 or so years of features it's not really useful to run XP to save a little CPU. Also, Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). You're welcome.

Vista also lags and XP on an awesome computer never lags. It is not obsolete. I'd choose it any day. I used to use sound recorder regularly too. I also hate the fact that I have to disable DEP just to stop causing errors. I hate having to remember "Run as Administrator" any little kid can read and it's stupid because if you're using the computer you're the Administrator.

So? MS-DOS 7.0 uses less CPU then Windows XP, this is not an argument. Also, you are comparing one obsolete operating system to another, Windows 7 more or less solved these problems.

blueangel06661
10-31-2011, 08:56 AM
I use XP on my other laptop. I wouldn't say XP is obsolete quite yet and honestly I've never had a single problem with XP and it's ability to run or do anything I asked. Only problems I had with anything were because my COMPUTER was obsolete, not the OS. My laptop is about 6-7 years old. That's pretty old in laptop years. Had .99 GB of ram lol.

I don't understand this portion of what someone said "Yes, you can use a computer with XP as an internet PC, or to play older games without going into compatibility mode." Almost any PC game I play new or old works on my XP as well as photoshop CS5. Well my laptop can't handle CS5 but we had it on our schools computers which half run on Windows 7 and the other half XP.

TheAsterisk!
10-31-2011, 10:56 AM
I use XP on my other laptop. I wouldn't say XP is obsolete quite yet and honestly I've never had a single problem with XP and it's ability to run or do anything I asked. Only problems I had with anything were because my COMPUTER was obsolete, not the OS. My laptop is about 6-7 years old. That's pretty old in laptop years. Had .99 GB of ram lol.
Well, you say the laptop is obsolete and underpowered, I say Windows is lazily engineered and simply demands more hardware resources when in doubt, rather than behave like a big kid.

My laptop has 1 GB of memory, and is now six years old, but modern software runs just fine on it. (My OS version was released was released in the middle of this year, for instance.) My tower is even older- about nine years old now, I think- and it's just fine, too.

It's not so much whether the hardware can manage a modern OS and software- it almost always can- but rather it depends which modern OS and software you've installed and run on it.

But- hey- glass half empty, glass half full, too-large a glass.

Manhattan_Project_2000
10-31-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't understand this portion of what someone said "Yes, you can use a computer with XP as an internet PC, or to play older games without going into compatibility mode." Almost any PC game I play new or old works on my XP as well as photoshop CS5. Well my laptop can't handle CS5 but we had it on our schools computers which half run on Windows 7 and the other half XP.
Games and Programs written to use DX11 (there are a few, and progressively more will come out due to how development cycles work) will flat out not run on XP, barring some fan-made work around that I know nothing about. Most heavy commercial software is optimized for whatever the newest flavor of Windows is, and if it runs on older flavors it does so badly.

I'd also like to point out the the XP-enthusiasts that Windows 7 is by far the most stable Windows ever. I've never managed to hard freeze it, with the possible exception of when my graphics card died (even then, think I was still on Vista).