PDA

View Full Version : Cds?

Eris
02-21-2004, 06:36 PM
How is it that people buy CDs? What's the point? Why buy a CD when you can download and burn 50 CDs for the same price?

Explain thyself st00pid CD-buyers.

I mean, sure, importing CDs is different since not all the tracks may be available off the net. But otherwise?

Manhattan_Project_2000
02-23-2004, 10:54 AM
I've owned less then 10 CD's in my life. Most CDs cost around 12-18$ around here, but it costs less then 50 cents to manufacture and burn one. So the rest of the money goes to the record company and/or the artist, but most CDs only have 2-3 good songs. I think the only CDs worth buying are outstanding albums and compilation albums (And occasionally soundtracks). The record companys started cracking down on piracy when they should have produced better product (Admittingly they have started to do that, albeit halfheartedly, with Live show DVD's and such).

So, all in all, I agree CD buying is stupid.

WinterC_16
02-23-2004, 09:17 PM
plus pirating cds is more fun :D

Kunoichi
02-26-2004, 09:28 AM
I think the only CDs I've bought were with gift cards. Oh, and for jrock. Just because I want to support my favorite bands with pretty money. On the down side, though, it costs more to ship the things from Japan to the states than it does for the CD itself.

Fabala
02-26-2004, 05:31 PM
*shrug* I tend not to buy cds at all unless I have real interest in the artist. Otherwise I'll sample.

It may cost a little more, but I feel better supporting an artist I'm truly fond of even in the simple way of buying an official cd.

retro
02-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Owning a original copy of an album and having a fake just doesn't feel right!
I own a burner, but I'd rather spend some money on the real thing than some fake clone ;)

Its not stupid at all to buy your albums, It cost nothing to burn and cost Next to nothing to buy! It doesn't burn a hole in my back account buying albums!

oh yeah I'm SO stupid... :rolleyes: muppets :rolleyes:

WakingLife
02-27-2004, 08:12 PM
I'm all for burning cd's and dowloading music , but i think if you like the band / singer then you should buy one of their albums to keep em going.

wizz-o-matic
02-28-2004, 06:17 AM
I've never bought any cds in my whole life and don't intend to do it!
I just download them or copy them.

Ok, maybe I'll buy some cds when they deciede to decrease their price, I'm not going to pay (something like) 25 euro for one CD!

Eris
02-28-2004, 08:59 AM
If i like a band i rip their music and send them the money. That way no big record company sucks up all the money.

Kunoichi
02-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Oh, that's tricksty, Eudial. Well, actually, it's logical... But I don't think that's the way the record comanies intended it to be.

Candy-chan
03-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by WakingLife@Feb 27 2004, 07:12 PM
I'm all for burning cd's and dowloading music , but i think if you like the band / singer then you should buy one of their albums to keep em going.
i agree, thats what i do
i rarely buy CDs but i still have some, i buy them when i really like the group, i did this with all of my no doubt albumsĀ*and coldplay

Eris
03-03-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Kunoichi@Feb 29 2004, 10:05 AM
Oh, that's tricksty, Eudial. Well, actually, it's logical... But I don't think that's the way the record comanies intended it to be.
Well, the record companies can crash and burn IMO. They just steal all the money from the artists.
If i wanted my money to go to fat record company bosses new cars i'd buy the CD.

_hades the wicked
03-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Well, I rarely buy an album, but I do sometimes. I download more music though... It's easier, and I do it from home... lol... Not to mention it's much cheaper too.

Fabala
03-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by PikuNe@Feb 28 2004, 08:59 AM
If i like a band i rip their music and send them the money. That way no big record company sucks up all the money.
Great. Now have you actually done that?

shadowmist_011
03-21-2004, 05:47 AM
i don't buy original cd's i only buy pirated ones why becz. it's really cheap! And sometimes i download from the internet but i really hate the thought that we don't have a cd burner i always ask my mom to buy me one. :)

Sweet_Angel
03-22-2004, 04:33 PM
I sometimes buy real cds but mostly i buy pirated because their cheap and its the same music anyways. :D

Eris
03-22-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Reiako+Mar 4 2004, 10:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Reiako @ Mar 4 2004, 10:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-PikuNe@Feb 28 2004, 08:59 AM
Great. Now have you actually done that? [/b][/quote]
Yup. I just mail it as fanmail and attatch a note saying that i support the artist but not the record-company so i&#39;m mailing the money over instead of buying the CD in-store. (naturally i do it anonymously)

Kunoichi
03-22-2004, 05:42 PM
Because you&#39;re odd like that, man. But, it is a good idea. May be a bit freaky on the recieving end, but it&#39;s still a good idea.

And tonight at the local CD-buyers Anon. meeting, I&#39;m going to confess my latest sin: A Perfect Circle&#39;s Mer De Noms album. Lost my last one. >.<&#33;

Havana
09-23-2004, 07:45 PM
I buy CD&#39;s because when i go places i can listen to music on my cd player, or my boombox, and i mostly listen to music in my room when i&#39;m bored. With music for me i can&#39;t listen all the time on computer because, my sisters and my parents use the computer also.

Himura Enishi
09-23-2004, 08:59 PM
I&#39;m all for burning cd&#39;s and dowloading music , but i think if you like the band / singer then you should buy one of their albums to keep em going.

Actually, and I wish i could remember the source......artists make around 85-95% of their profits not from their cd&#39;s, but from concerts and merchandise. So if you really support an artist just buy their clothing or go to a concert. I pirate a ton, but like if I see a band i REALLY like with like good cover art (Linkin Park Hybrid Theory and Limp Bizkit Significant Other had awesome art) i&#39;ll buy it

Gjallarhorn
09-23-2004, 09:23 PM
reviving a dead topic.......

anyway, i&#39;ll only buy CDs if its a bad that i really like, so i can "give my support". other than that, i just d/l a bunch of songs and burn them on CDs...its much cheaper

En Svensk Tiger
09-24-2004, 11:55 AM
I own some purchased CD&#39;s I guess... I used to buy some when I was younger and ignorant and didn&#39;t know the arts of file-sharing... Now I only buy CD&#39;s if I :

- Really like the band/artist, and have waited forever for their new album.

- If it is a(n) Norwegian/Local band/artist who isn&#39;t very well known and deserves the money..

- If it is impossible to get the CD through file-sharing..

Havana
10-03-2004, 05:20 PM
I'm buying less CD's but if it's an artist i want, i put it on my christmas/birthday list. i'm starting to download japanese songs from different animes and copying my cd's to my playlist.