PDA

View Full Version : Flcl

Anime Forum
05-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Kolkata (GaeaTimes.Com) - Fooly Cooly or FLCL is also known as Furi Kuri. It is called Fooly Cooly mainly in North America. Basically it is an adventurous video animation series originally written by Yoji Enokido. It is directed by Kazuya Tsurumaki. The style of the animation series is fast paced and sometimes confusing. The Japanese animation series has a crazy hyperactive style which can be easily misinterpreted leading to strongly opposing opinions of the show’s value.

The story begins with an energetic alien girl driving on a Vespa who hits an unsuspecting adolescent boy over the head with a left-handed bass guitar. The twelve year old boy named Naota Nandaba lives in a fictional Japanese Suburb of Mabase. There are also many metaphorical plots and hidden meaning underneath the surface. The total series is a pun in itself and there are some suggestive sexual metaphors.

The strange situations in the series and the dialogues in it reflect the confusion and awkwardness of puberty and the whole society in general. The FLCL is an exercise in unconventional and self alluding animation story.

The series is produced by FLCL Production Committee which includes Production I.G., Gainax and Starchild Records. The English version of the series, an adaption of the original was licensed by Synch Point and Geneon Entertainment. They also released it in DVD and also released the soundtrack. The DVDs have been out of print for a long time. In January 2010, Funimationn Entertainment have revealed that they will release the animation series on DVD and Blu-Ray.

^^^^
Does anyone here watch/like Fooly Cooly or am I the only one that enjoys this six episode wonder? Some of the voices annoy me a bit, at least in the english dubbing but it is still a really good watch for anyone who hasn't watched or tried it yet.

Darkseid
05-05-2010, 09:08 PM
I love the series.

It has a surprising amount of depth in the characters if you pay attention to everything, and also........

EYEBROWS.

AVAlution
05-05-2010, 09:13 PM
I love it.
I've watched it a few times now and noticed new things every time
The voices were terrible in the English Dub, especially Haruko's >.>

Darkseid
05-05-2010, 09:25 PM
I love it.
I've watched it a few times now and noticed new things every time
The voices were terrible in the English Dub, especially Haruko's >.>
I didn't think they were that bad, but it was a pretty weak dub overall.

Gjallarhorn
05-05-2010, 10:09 PM
The voices were perfect in the English dub. I have no idea what the rest of you were watching. Not everything needs to sound like it's been dubbed over by Leonardo Dicaprio and Denzel Washington when it's supposed to be absurd, cartoony, and zany.

I love FLCL because it's a great, great coming-of-age story, with a very, very simple idea behind it all, and it fairly accurately conveys the sort of emotions that come along with a young boy coming of age; something a lot of coming-of-age anime drop the ball on (pun not intended, because I'm not GAINAX)

narunaru
05-05-2010, 10:26 PM
FLCL is some of Gainax's best work, because it's zany, the art is great (except for a certain point in....was it episode 4, or am I thinking of TTGL?), and it's easy to follow. You can literally watch all of it in one afternoon, and it leaves you wanting more (it DID leave an iota of potential for continuation at the end....but perhaps that would ruin the "easy to follow" point). Anyway, it's a great watch worth anyone's time, and this bite-sized series won't take much of it.

Kaname Shikara
05-05-2010, 10:35 PM
I liked it ^^ though it was THE oddest anime I have EVER watched. XD

MangaFanGuy
05-05-2010, 11:52 PM
I love it (Lol my sig kinda says that)

I originally watched in Japanese and then later tried the english dub and was highly impressed by how good the dub was
considering the style and content of the japanese the dub was perfect losing almost nothing between translations

Doom85
05-06-2010, 03:05 AM
Like the last few posters have said, the dub for FLCL is top-notch. The sub is good, but I watched it once and kept the dub for all future viewings as I felt it was just that much better.

小美ドクロchan
05-06-2010, 10:18 AM
*LOVE*this series. And the dub is EXCELLENT. If you think the dub is bad, you don't know what good voice acting is. =p Haruko sounds identical to her Japanese seiyuu.

Darkseid
05-06-2010, 10:50 AM
*LOVE*this series. And the dub is EXCELLENT. If you think the dub is bad, you don't know what good voice acting is. =p Haruko sounds identical to her Japanese seiyuu.
This isn't exactly a good thing.

While I do like the dub, it had some issues. And in both sub and dub, Haruko just sounds really annoying. I'm sorry, but she gets on my nerves.

I've heard better dubs. That doesn't mean it's a bad series, though. It was actually a clever look at childhood mixed with parody of anime cliches (deus ex machina plot device, non-sensical story that takes itself seriously, over the top fights, ect...).

.Sev
05-06-2010, 01:14 PM
I agree that the dub wasnt as bad as it could have been. Harukos voice is annoying, but I guess that fits.
And yes, of course I love the series. DUH.:p

小美ドクロchan
05-06-2010, 01:48 PM
This isn't exactly a good thing.

....why not?
What issues do you think the dub has? o.o I see nothing wrong with it.

Darkseid
05-06-2010, 02:21 PM
....why not?
What issues do you think the dub has? o.o I see nothing wrong with it.
As I mentioned in that post, Haruko's voice.

Good god, that's ear scraping. Some characters also talk a bit too quietly at some points.

TheThunderBringer
05-06-2010, 02:49 PM
yesyesyesyes. Some of the greatest 6 episodes I've ever seen. Great dub as well.

小美ドクロchan
05-06-2010, 11:40 PM
As I mentioned in that post, Haruko's voice.

Good god, that's ear scraping. Some characters also talk a bit too quietly at some points.

HA....HA!! I've heard so much worse than that! I thought it really fit her anyway. I can't imagine her sounding any different.
You think? I was able to hear them just fine. My biggest issue with super-quiet voices was REI FROM EVA. OMG. I had to turn the volume up 20 notches every time she said something! THAT was annoying. XD I wish more anime companies included the closed caption thing but I think only geneon and Funi and Viz do.
..........wait, that's a lot anyway. lol