PDA

View Full Version : New types of anime you'd like to see next.

小美ドクロchan
05-04-2010, 03:13 PM
(I'm bored XD)

You know the phrase, "Nothing's original because it's all been done to death"? For anime, I don't really think it has. I'm going to put down stuff that I wouldn't mind seeing more of....because honestly, I haven't seen much of this stuff:

Pirates. Don't yell "ONE PIECE!!!" at me because I don't like it. I'd like to see a pirate-themed anime that um....has a more appealing art style. Please don't flame me for this. I hate OP's art. And if I hate the art in a show, it's very difficult to watch, you see. Besides, how can it be that One Piece is the only pirate anime out there? Aren't pirates insanely popular!? They should totally do a pirates vs. ninjas show ha, just kidding, who the heck started that meme, anyway?:p

Werewolves. This is the most baffling one. There have been vampire anime up the wahzoo before I knew what anime was, now zombies are getting more attention, so isn't it the wolf's turn now? When I first started Ookami Kakushi, I was getting excited because I thought the town was turning into rabid wolves. But it turned out they weren't and I was like :(. It doesn't even have to be a horror series. I think a light comedy werewolf show in the spirit of Karin would be fantastic.

Fairies. Lol, I know I'll get made fun of for this but HEY, I'm a girl and I like fairies!! (blame Ferngully) I've seen shows with a fairy here and there but I've never seen one that mainly featured them, save Fairy Princess Ren and that was the greatest two episodes ever but it was TWO EPISODES! So either continue it (not happening) or start a new one, dammit! XD
Note: Anime about ELVES do not count. Elves are not fairies. They're tall and they don't have wings, for starters!

Angels vs. Demons. This has been done a lot. Metaphorically. But I've never seen a serious, straight-up thing about angels and demons in battle with religious themes. There was Disgaea....that was it. Chrono Crusade comes close but that was mostly humans verses demons and we get that trend a LOT.....

Love-acting. There are a couple manga with this theme, one of them (Watashi Ni XX Shinasai) being my current obsession. The general story is a boy and girl pretending to be in love with each other for whatever reason and ironically actually do fall in love as the series progresses. People who don't like romance will probably find that plot boring but for ones who do, it's very very fun. And exciting. And cute.

An up-to-date romantic magical girl show with appealing character designs that doesn't feature yuri, or loli fanserivce or sucky writing or sucky voice actresses or sucky animation or annoying stereotypes and has a good ending that was not animated by Suckalite-I mean Satelite.
I'm sick of the mediocrity. We REALLY need more shows like Princess Tutu and Card Captor Sakura. Seriously.

Diocletian
05-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Demons vs. Angels doesn't need to exist anymore. It's been done once too much. Metaphors are usually too weak so they fail.

Darkseid
05-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Love-Acting is a Rom-Com, the lowest form of movies.

That Magic girl one already exists. It's called Princess Tutu, and it's rather good.

GameGeeks
05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
There are several pirate based anime that I know of. Though they tend to be space pirates. You have Captain Harlock, Captain Harlock: Outside Legend - Endless Odyssey, Space Pirate Mito, Aoi and Mutsuki: A pair of Queens (Space Pirate Mito 2) eki wa Kaizoku!, Black Lagoon and Elemental Gelade. There's more then that but I think I've made my point about that genre.

Gjallarhorn
05-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Love-Acting is a Rom-Com, the lowest form of movies.

It's also the lowest form of anime and manga, sans moe.

Werewolves. This is the most baffling one. There have been vampire anime up the wahzoo before I knew what anime was, now zombies are getting more attention, so isn't it the wolf's turn now? When I first started Ookami Kakushi, I was getting excited because I thought the town was turning into rabid wolves. But it turned out they weren't and I was like :(. It doesn't even have to be a horror series. I think a light comedy werewolf show in the spirit of Karin would be fantastic

Go read Wolf Guy.

I suppose what I want most out of anime is not a new genre, but for anime to revert a bit, and bring back: epic mecha shows that aren't about some whiny emo teenager, testosterone, martial-arts combat that isn't retarded, fantasy drama that doesn't take place in a highschool.

For the love of everything, no more highschool drama, no more fantasy series that take place in a highschool. No more meshing in romance and comedy into these, either. It's been done a few hundred times, 99.9% of them are awful, and the one's that aren't awful are barely tolerable.

Give me adventure, an epic journey, action, the battling of good and evil with distinct motives that don't involve being butthurt, thrilling hand-to-hand combat, mecha that run and around dart with realistic weaponry rather than clunk around and fire huge beams, realistic strategy series and none of that back-and-forth-on-the-surface Code Geass or Deathnote crap.

Also, magical girl series that "that doesn't feature yuri, or loli fanserivce or sucky writing or sucky voice actresses or sucky animation"? Those exist? I thought that was the standard for magical girl.

Rulloxp
05-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing more Pirates. As you said, its not "overused" at all. I think that One Piece was a little over the top, but I do not despise the show. I actually find it quite addicting. :)

Gjallarhorn
05-04-2010, 10:42 PM
quite addicting. :)

Understatement of EVER.

GameGeeks
05-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Rull, try the list I posted.

Rulloxp
05-04-2010, 10:52 PM
OH! Alright, I didn't notice that before -_-
That looks like a nice list. I might try a few. :)

GameGeeks
05-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Yeah, just hope you don't mind old anime. Most of those are pre-2000 I believe.

KitKaty
05-04-2010, 11:04 PM
I'd love to see more of the following

Medieval period based animes- Such as Slayers, Record of the Lodoss War, and Rayearth
Paranormal-
Mystery
Comedy- There's a difference between stupid and funny. Most that I've seen qualify as retarded.
Pirates - The only one I know of is One Piece and that's not how real pirates act in my opinion.

Rulloxp
05-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah, just hope you don't mind old anime. Most of those are pre-2000 I believe.

I wouldn't mind. :)
Thanks again; :D

Xieshunnuan
05-04-2010, 11:11 PM
I'd like to see modern, echhi, comedy, romance, school life, slice of life, yaoi/yuri anime.

Darkseid
05-04-2010, 11:12 PM
I'd like to see modern, echhi, comedy, romance, school life, slice of life, yaoi/yuri anime.
That's 70% of the current market right there.

小美ドクロchan
05-04-2010, 11:14 PM
That Magic girl one already exists. It's called Princess Tutu, and it's rather good
Yes, I don't think you saw me write, "we need MORE shows like Princess Tutu and Card Captor Sakura. Seriously"

There are several pirate based anime that I know of. Though they tend to be space pirates.
I'm not talking about space pirates. I'm talking about regular pirates that sail on the ocean, look for treasure and say "Argh". XD

It's also the lowest form of anime and manga, sans moe.
Your opinion. Though you and I never seem to agree about ANYTHING, if you read the manga I'm talking about, you wouldn't think so.

For the love of everything, no more highschool drama, no more fantasy series that take place in a highschool. No more meshing in romance and comedy into these, either. It's been done a few hundred times, 99.9% of them are awful, and the one's that aren't awful are barely tolerable.
99.9%!? One percentage "barely tolerable"? Wow. Somebody's certainly hard to please.:rolleyes: Anyway, you're full of it and I can hardly believe you even watched "99.9%" of that genre.I can think of a whole bunch of those that are good! Though true, it's not "new". We do need something else. But that doesn't mean all shows like that suck.

Also, magical girl series that "that doesn't feature yuri, or loli fanserivce or sucky writing or sucky voice actresses or sucky animation"? Those exist? I thought that was the standard for magical girl.

...........you're kidding, right? Please be kidding. Otherwise it's very tragic you've never seen a decent magical girl series.

I can't believe you said something that ignorant.

Medieval period based animes- Such as Slayers, Record of the Lodoss War, and Rayearth
YES! I thought of mentioning that but figured I'd get made fun of. But I honestly want to see something Lord of the Rings-ish. With like...GOOD animaton. Not that Bakshi crap from the eighties. Makes my eyes bleed.....:wacko:

GameGeeks
05-04-2010, 11:19 PM
The seas kind I don't think will ever happen unless you go over the top like One Piece did. Pirates are only interesting if you go over the top. Hell, look at Pirates of the Caribbean.

Diocletian
05-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Have to agree with Geek, pirates aren't very interesting people. As a matter of fact, you do have to add super powers to pirates because quite honestly, sword fights are some of the worst fights in animation. There are hardly any decent ones that weren't in Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro

小美ドクロchan
05-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Hell, look at Pirates of the Caribbean.

Only reason I starting liking pirates.:laugh:

GameGeeks
05-04-2010, 11:27 PM
So you see my point. Though I don't care to see One Piece. Just too random for me and that randomness goes on too long. If it's like Fummoffu and just a few episodes then it'd be fine but 500+ episodes. Seriously, that anime has been going on since 1999.

Gjallarhorn
05-04-2010, 11:28 PM
If there were an PotC-esque anime or manga, I think I'd die inside.

Pretty much agree on the "pirates have to be over the top" thing, though. Otherwise you just have a bunch of dirty middle-aged men drinking, getting diseases, screwing, and being hanged or occasionally bleeding out after getting shot. Not that interesting in regard to be an anime or manga series...

And One Piece is hardly random at all. Sure, the character designs are crazy, but the story writing is easily among the best I've ever come across. It's a level of intricacy you just don't find in manga (outside of...let's say...Naoki Urasawa's very literary manga).

GameGeeks
05-04-2010, 11:33 PM
I'll concede to you on the story aspect as I haven't seen it but still how long can one anime go on for? It's on its eleventh year of production.

Gjallarhorn
05-04-2010, 11:34 PM
I'll concede to you on the story aspect as I haven't seen it but still how long can one anime go on for? It's on its eleventh year of production.

Oda began publishing the manga in 1997, when he was 18. He'd finished writing the story in 2004. As of 2009 (~540 chapters at the time) he said he'd published half of the story.

It's not all that long. Berserk has been on-going since 1988; barring Miura's slow release rate over the last ~3 years.

GameGeeks
05-04-2010, 11:36 PM
And exactly how many fillers does the anime have?

Gjallarhorn
05-04-2010, 11:39 PM
And exactly how many fillers does the anime have?

All-in-all, about 30-40 episodes worth out of the currently ~450 episodes that have aired, most of which occurred when the animation studio was working on the films rather than the series. There's a considerable amount of content in a chapter of One Piece, so 1 chapter pretty much gives you one episode, removing the need for filler (compare this to other long-running series, Naruto 2chapters/episode or Bleach 3chapters/episode). They'll usually insert a 1-2 minute "last time on One Piece" at the beginning of each episode, which minimizes any gain the anime might get on the manga as well.

GameGeeks
05-04-2010, 11:41 PM
What do you mean by chapters?

Gjallarhorn
05-04-2010, 11:42 PM
What do you mean by chapters?

...of the manga. You know...those weekly 15 page black-and-white comics that anime are usually based on...

1 chapter of One Piece is about 1 episode's worth of content.
2 chapters of Naruto is about 1 episode's worth of content.
3 chapters of Bleach is about 1 episode's worth of content.

GameGeeks
05-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Not really since I don't read manga. I would but I don't have the money to spend on it and I can't stand reading on a computer screen. I prefer to lay on my bed and actually feel the pages. One reason I'll never get something like the Kindle.

Diocletian
05-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Gja, you actually made me change my point. That actually sounds like a pirate manga I would read!

Gjallarhorn
05-05-2010, 12:38 AM
It might be interesting for a movie, or a few OVAs, but not for a series of any considerable length.

On that note, I want OVAs to come back as a popular form of media, rather than just something tacked on after a series is over as extras or something, as they have become. Granted, I am following both the Gundam Unicorn and Katanagatari OVAs at present...which is more than in quite a long time.

Diocletian
05-05-2010, 12:49 AM
The idea of an OAV is dead. I think the fact that Japan's animation studios proved they don't know what to do with their money when they have it. There are so many OAV's out there that are either in someone's basement stacked underneath various VHS tapes or as completely deteriorated film. We got brilliance like Angel's Egg and Cyber City Oedo, but we also got anime like Blue Flames that should have never been made.

I really wish we could have OAV's back, but Japan just isn't willing to make their anime an art form anymore. That's not say Japan wasn't heavily commercialized in the 80's and 90's, just slightly less so. There was no shortage of anime that was trying to be the marketing product for giant robot shows. Hey, giant robots are the moe of the 80's!

小美ドクロchan
05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I really wish we could have OAV's back, but Japan just isn't willing to make their anime an art form anymore.

Say what?:rolleyes:

What are you talking about!? They still make OVAs! GOOD ones!! And your last statement was ridiculous. Look at Hayao Miyazaki! His movies aren't "art"!?

Diocletian
05-06-2010, 11:39 PM
No, they don't make OAV's anymore. There is the occasional one like Rin but we get garbage OAVs like Boku, Otaryman and Negima! spin-offs.

小美ドクロchan
05-06-2010, 11:46 PM
No, they don't make OAV's anymore. There is the occasional one like Rin but we get garbage OAVs like Boku, Otaryman and Negima! spin-offs.

.............um, you just contradicted yourself there?

YES, they do. There's also Naisho No Tsubomi and the Kodomo No Jikan OAVs too and I'm sure there are others out there as well. They're just harder to find because fansubbers have to get the DVDs and companies in America aren't licensing them.

Besides, lots of OAVs wind up unfinished anyway.....ESPECIALLY ones from the 90s. Even though they were awesome, you were mostly just setting yourself up for disappointment in the end. Because two episodes, three if you were lucky, was all you got.

Diocletian
05-07-2010, 12:01 AM
1) Kodomo no Jikan is pedophile garbage.
2) Kodomo no Jikan OAV is just what I said. A spin-off.
3) They don't make OAVs as often as they used to, period. There's nothing worth arguing about, we get roughly 8-11 stand alone OAV's a year.

小美ドクロchan
05-07-2010, 09:12 AM
1) Kodomo no Jikan is pedophile garbage.

FALSE.

I bet you've never even watched it. It's an AMAZING series. D:< Keep in mind, this is coming from a straight girl who hates hentai and is rather turned off by fan service. But KNJ is a wonderful story and all the characters are very lovable...well except for the "bad" guy.

.........besides I don't want to hear this from a sixteen-year-old. Talking like you know EVERYTHING about "art forms" and what Japan does and does not produce. Did you do extensive research on the subject, even? Or are you just guessing because of the amount of OAVs that were licensed here in the 90s and early 2000s compared to the amount licensed today?
Please, kid.

Gjallarhorn
05-07-2010, 09:33 AM
I'd read a decent portion of the manga well before the anime came out and...well...it isn't hentai...it's smut. It was written for, published for, and consume by lolicon. It's about an underaged girl (along with her friends as cohorts) trying to seduce/rape/trying-to-screw her teacher, filled with as much underaged-girl nudity and fanservice as possible. And not only are they underaged, they're practically toddlers.

Totally not for lolicons/pedophiles, amirite?

ITT: When an argument is lost, attack poster's age. I see what you did there. Dio up there practically specializes in older anime series...that's sort of his thing, from what I'd gathered. I'd trust his opinion on it greatly. And no, Japan does not produce OVAs as an art form any longer. As of now they are just extras tacked on to DVDs/BRs, and spin-offs/fillers produced after a series is finished to generate more income. Independent, stand alone OVAs as an artform are dead, and to my original point: I want them back.

Diocletian
05-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I watched six episodes of Kodomo no Jikan and I thought it was funny at for two episodes. After those two episodes I was just being masochistic.Then I realized "those girls are like 10 years old...and they're talking about having kinky sex with their teacher". In the words of Bob Saget "that ain't right".

Licensing has nothing to do with how much product Japan makes a year. I think you believe the idea that they don't make OAV's as much as they used to as "OAV's don't exist anymore".

小美ドクロchan
05-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah, uh-huh. Here's what my friend and myself have to say about Kodomo No Jikan:
First of all this: IT'S NOT ABOUT JUST SEX OR SMUT!!! It deals with child psychology, growth, and practically a hand guide to how to handle children when you are a teacher. It's a very deep series but no, people just attack it when they see it and immediately judge it to be something it's not: mindless smut for pedophiles.

And not only are they underaged, they're practically toddlers.
Funny, I didn't know the age slot between 9 to 12 qualified as "toddlers". I better give my twelve-year-old cousin a Bob The Builder DVD...no better yet, those big plastic rings that you put on a stick! I'm sure she'll appreciate that.
NOT.

Then I realized "those girls are like 10 years old...and they're talking about having kinky sex with their teacher". In the words of Bob Saget "that ain't right".
Stuff on Family Guy and South Park is worse than that and the children in those shows are either the same age or slightly older. I mean one episode Ike, the THREE-YEAR-OLD has SEX WITH HIS TEACHER. That squicked me. I had to turn it off. Yet everyone goes 'OMG PEDOPHILIA" with freaking LOLICON shows where nobody has sex with anyone!? Why, exactly?

ITT: When an argument is lost, attack poster's age. I see what you did there.
Who lost an argument? I just don't think his age means I can have a legitimate argument over something like this. I'm rolling my eyes here.

Diocletian
05-07-2010, 11:10 PM
It's funny because I'm sixteen years old yet you have the analysis skills of a 13 year old. Although I hate South Park and Family Guy, the entire show does not revolve around a child trying to have sex with a teacher. The fact that you're trying to justify a show where the licensors to the manga that it was based on decided not to release it due to its content (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodomo_no_Jikan). If Kodomo no Jikan is so deep, why are there constant panty flashes and an episode dedicated to the little girls getting a check up as an excuse to show their sidebreasts?

-GAZKUL-
05-08-2010, 06:15 AM
id like to see more NEW martial arts anime's like Historys greatest disiple

小美ドクロchan
05-08-2010, 10:54 AM
It's funny because I'm sixteen years old yet you have the analysis skills of a 13 year old.
Excuse me?

Although I hate South Park and Family Guy, the entire show does not revolve around a child trying to have sex with a teacher.
No, they revolve around things even worse than that. And further more, KNJ does NOT revolve around a child trying to have sex with her teacher. It revolves around a teacher meeting three little girls who have serious problems either at home or with themselves and he's trying to figure out why they're so messed up because he feels that he must help them.
Please get your facts straight. Or at least freakin watch the entire series before arguing with me about what the show "revolves around". I've seen all the anime, the OVAs, and read all current chapters of the manga. You haven't. Do the math.

If Kodomo no Jikan is so deep, why are there constant panty flashes and an episode dedicated to the little girls getting a check up as an excuse to show their sidebreasts?

There isn't constant panty flashes and when there IS fan-service and ecchi bits, it's there for comedic purposes. Humor is needed to balance some of the darker material. The series is actually pretty heavy sometimes. Are you saying that a deep series can't have comedy or fan service? That's bull.