PDA

View Full Version : better alternatives to VLC player

RaShayRitto
04-25-2010, 02:32 PM
so VLC player is widely popular and it mostly serves its purpose for me, but i think its far from perfect for handling HD content sometimes.

does anyone have suggestions for players that boast the same level of compatibility while being more bug free?

sometimes VLC player does weird things when playing content ripped from blu-ray or DVD whenever a section transition comes in--it might restart after a certain point or drop out the audio or both. Sometimes skipping ahead the of the transition point fixes this but i'd like to avoid it completely. also sometimes i notice a lot of screen tearing when using VLC in fullscreen--and there doesnt seem to be a v-sync option in the settings. It really shouldnt happen considering the graphics horsepower i'm packing

so yeah, any player suggestions would be appreciated

edit: i should note that i've always used VLC in Direct3D mode. if you think the problem is related to the video mode then let me know. By default its OpenGL i think

GameGeeks
04-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Been having issues with VLC myself recently with messed up coloring. For the vids I have that issue with I just use Windows Media Player with the CCCP codex. It plays just about any video file due to the codex without any problem. Some people would recommend Media Player Classic but I never liked the program myself and you still need something like the CCCP for it to work. Or at least that was my experience with it.

RaShayRitto
04-25-2010, 04:35 PM
good call with CCCP codec plus windows media player. seems to address all my issues with VLC and it might be my imagination but i swear the picture looks better for 720p anime.

GameGeeks
04-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Couldn't tell you about quality. I'm using an extremely outdated monitor.

niKopol
04-25-2010, 11:33 PM
I personally use Zoom Player (http://www.inmatrix.com/#formats). As far as details and such, I never really paid attention except for its menu to download missing codecs and updates.

Miss Moonlight
04-26-2010, 12:50 AM
After getting tired of WMP and Winamp, I found Media Jukebox 12 (http://www.mediajukebox.com/). It's free and fast, looks nice, plays well and takes up very little space.

wizz-o-matic
04-26-2010, 09:07 AM
use MPC, wins over all other players >_>

Hideki Motosuwa.
04-26-2010, 10:30 AM
I use VLC too and I've had those problems all along. As mentioned above, there's always Media Player Classic, and Windows Media Player (but I use the K-Lite Codec pack). I've never really had any issues with Topaz Moment (http://www.brothersoft.com/topaz-moment-32058.html).<---Here is a free trial that just plays videos. Though VLC plays almost any video, it's got really choppy playback :/

Gero50
04-26-2010, 11:39 AM
I use VLC myself I know what you mean even more so when you try playing back content ripped from say a blu-ray disk. It will play fine if you're simply viewing it with the dvd in the drive but of course you need a blu-ray rom in your pc for that.
There are ways to get around a few of these issues but one with the ripped content is a dead end at this point at least from what I can see so far.
One thing I suggest doing before you change players is updating your drivers for your video card. This often will fix issues like video playback problems. Sense your audio is sometimes being dropped I might also check your drivers for your sound card or on board audio chipset. You can go to your computer manufacture's website for both. Once I did this it fixed a lot of playback errors for high def content. Though i am still researching for a new player and still recommend you try a few we have suggested.

miniPhil
04-26-2010, 01:16 PM
I use Media Player Classic myself. I find it quite good but also as Miss Moonlight said Media Jukebox is also good.

RaShayRitto
04-27-2010, 07:27 AM
@Gero

yeah my drivers are all up to date on graphics and sound--have to be for gaming lol. So far i'm loving windows media player (the new one, not classic) with the cccp codec package. Plays through ripped blu-ray content with no problems at all, something VLC player just wouldnt do. PLus the image quality is much nicer somehow, i swear

Alastor1
07-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Mplayer, Mplayer-mt and KMplayer are awesome and give far a lot more performance then VLC. Mplayer-mt supports all multicore/multithread CPUs to speed up decoding. I have heard Mplayer includes a nice thing called VDPAU which again speeds up decoding dramatically.

yohouseofreno
08-03-2010, 10:40 PM
latest WMP with the k-lite codec pack. Plays 720 hd files flawlessly.