PDA

View Full Version : What should my next anime be?

Bathawk
04-03-2010, 12:24 PM
After the better part of a year being broke, I'm finally ready to start buying more anime. But I've been out of the loop for so long, I'm not sure what's out there

I started with anime due to my love of Giant Robots (Gundam), but moved on to romantic comedy/magical girlfriend/harem animes (Full Metal Panic filled both of those genres nicely)....But have to say both Gungrave and Gantzz really knocked me for a loop!

here's a listing of my favorites. I usually like anime that is "more" than what we traditionaly see in American TV, not saying it should necessarily be PG-13 or more, but a show that's "deep" goes a long way as well

Chobits
Gungrave
Ai Yori Aoshi
Gantz
Full Metal Panic
Last Exile
Saiyuki
GTO

any suggestions would be appreciated

TheThunderBringer
04-03-2010, 01:53 PM
If you like 'Giant Robot' anime, then check out Code Geass or Neon Genesis.

Girly Romantic/Comedy: Ouran High School Host Club, Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Start, Melencholy of Haruhi Suzi-something.

I'll throw in some that I liked just for lulz.

Shows with a * next to them are ones I haven't watched, but have heard a lot about and hear that they're great.

Comedies have a + by them.

Ergo Proxy
Yu Yu Hakusho
Cowboy Bebop
Clannad*
Samurai Champloo
Trigun
Neon Genesis Evangaleon
Ouran High School Host Club+
Darker Than Black
Elfen Lied
Bleach
One Piece
Bobobo Bobo Bobo+
Gungrave*
D-Gray Man
Black Lagoon*
FLCL
Ah! My Goddess*
Full Metal Alchemist*
Eureka 7*
Hellsing*
Gunslinger Girl*
Rurouni Kenshin*
DN Angel*
Death Note
Dot Hack//Sign*
Soul Eater (meh)
Naruto

Käras
04-03-2010, 02:02 PM
hmm Just watch random shows, thats what I do.

Bathawk
04-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Actualy I used to that thanks to Newtype...but that was in the good old days when I got it for free

kimi no kioku
04-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Here are some good animes.
Blood Plus
Fullmetal Alchemist
.Hack//Sign
Gundam 00
Code Geass(This one is my personal favorite)
Now Then Here And There(Only 13 episodes long, watch past the first episode to really get a feel for it.Episode 1 is very misleading.)

Bathawk
04-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Actualy I always tried to shy away from the Cartoon Network promoted shows Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist...Pilot Candidate

Besides Death Note (which I hear a lot of good things about,) it seems those shows are a bit...watered down?

Doom85
04-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Now Then Here And There(Only 113 episodes long, watch past the first episode to really get a feel for it.Episode 1 is very misleading.)

Correction: she meant 13 episodes, 113 was a typo. Just correcting it so the OP doesn't think it's a long-runner.

kimi no kioku
04-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Actualy I always tried to shy away from the Cartoon Network promoted shows Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist...Pilot Candidate

Besides Death Note (which I hear a lot of good things about,) it seems those shows are a bit...watered down?
They aren't at all. Some are at the beginning, but as they go on, they get less watered down.
If it's that bad, watch it uncensored. I do.

Correction: she meant 13 episodes, 113 was a typo. Just correcting it so the OP doesn't think it's a long-runner.
Oops. Sorry, he's right.

dark_sonatine
04-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Chocolate Underground was short but it was pretty good

-GAZKUL-
04-04-2010, 07:10 AM
as a big fan of GTO i recommend Eyeshield 21, which is a good comedy and is enjoyable even if you have no interest in american football.

other than that i can recommend

Straight Jacket- good if short, though not for everyone but it dous kinda have the robot thing in it

Full Metal Alchemist- my personal favourite, and arguably the best anime ever

oh and The Last Airbender is surprisingly good

Gero50
04-08-2010, 02:01 PM
You might try these

Yu-Gh-Oh DM
Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds
Inuyasha
Ranma 1/2
Detective Conan

Try some of those they're really good and quite fun.

TheThunderBringer
04-08-2010, 08:37 PM

You kinda got it backwards in my opinion lol. Death Note gets boring after about episode...18? (whenever a character I won't mention dies) Reeeeally repetetive after that point, skip to the last 2 episodes and you're good. FMA is fantastic, I really need to finish that one.

foryouranime
04-11-2010, 05:12 AM
Black Lagoon is really good if you like tough talking, gun fighting type o' things. It also has a really good story!