PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

alexshim
03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Discuss: Do you think the goverment should re-consider Insomnia a mental stimulation illness or leave it as it is?

Taken From Wikipedia:
"Insomnia is a symptom[1] of any of several sleep disorders, characterized by persistent difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep despite the opportunity. Insomnia is a symptom, not a stand-alone diagnosis or a disease. By definition, insomnia is "difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep, or both" and it may be due to inadequate quality or quantity of sleep. It is typically followed by functional impairment while awake. Both organic and non-organic insomnia without other cause constitute a sleep disorder, primary insomnia.[2]"

To be honest I find insomnia quiet irriatating in general the abilty of not sleeping comes hand in hand with being completely and nearly un-aware of the majority of things around you not only that but once youcome off said Insomnia you can alway have an iregulatied sleep pattern(Which I've picked up =/) This leads to stress and can lead to people having nervous brake downs and also in some far off cases heart attacks due to stress. So I belive that the goverment should re-look over the materials found and possible try to find new means of stoppin it from happening. Most probally after the swine flu cases etcs.

Thoughts?

GameGeeks
03-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Only in sever cases. If you can't sleep after three days and the medication you can get over the counter doesn't help then it should be considered a medical problem. Medication can be used to regulate sleeping again. In the end I would still consider it a minor problem unless nothing you try works. But if that's the case there may be a more serious problem at work that's preventing you from sleeping.

TheThunderBringer
03-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Well, there are 3 'stages' of insomnia. Transient, Acute, and Chronic, transient being lowest, Chronic being highest. Like Wikipedia says, Chronic Insomnia can last for years and cause more than sleeping problems (such as blurred or double vision). I would say the only one of the three being worthy to be an 'illness' would be Chronic.

DOOM!
03-22-2010, 03:19 PM
I have EDS. As a matter of fact... feeling... soo.... narcotic...

Vyndrasta
03-22-2010, 03:19 PM
My so called "insomnia" is from me suffering PTSD after my first deployment. It's hard falling asleep knowing in your head someone is just out to kill you. My alertness was at an all time high. Even though this hits close to home, I don't worry about it as much. After my 2nd deployment overseas I've gotten used to it. My doctor did not prescribe me any medication for my PTSD though.

Some of you might see me very late around the forums and that is because I can't sleep. Meh.

As of right now I can't give you a definite answer about the government considering or reconsidering how insomnia should be treated as. I'll get back to you on that one.

alexshim
03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
as per my statistics many are suffering from it.

Kaname Shikara
03-22-2010, 04:19 PM
One thing I can say about insomnia: It completely and utterly sucks. XD

poshyterra
03-22-2010, 04:29 PM
i suffer from it on and off. when i was little and couldn't sleep, i'd say i was sick so my mom would give me medicine to make me drowsy. now, i just wake up and stare at my ceiling and think, or i jump on my PC and type.

if it's seriously impacting your life and limits what you can do, i say insomnia should be an illness. probably only those who have chronic insomnia, too.

DOOM!
03-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Really nothing that a nice, hot Ten-O'clock Opium tea couldn't handle.
Glass of warm milk? Pshaw!

Stripes
03-23-2010, 05:17 AM
Well, there are 3 'stages' of insomnia. Transient, Acute, and Chronic, transient being lowest, Chronic being highest. Like Wikipedia says, Chronic Insomnia can last for years and cause more than sleeping problems (such as blurred or double vision). I would say the only one of the three being worthy to be an 'illness' would be Chronic.

I am a victim of chronic insomnia..I have been suffering from insomnia ever since I was 8 or 9...lol..but it doesn't cause me any trouble except for lethargy and body ache. Is this the case with you guys? ...As for doubled and blurred vision, I can't get rid of it even with my glasses, seriously, it sucks!

I don't think insomnia really needs to be called a severe mental disorder..I mean..I won't want to be called mentally disabled..

alexshim
03-23-2010, 05:25 AM
I am a victim of chronic insomnia..I have been suffering from insomnia ever since I was 8 or 9...lol..but it doesn't cause me any trouble except for lethargy and body ache. Is this the case with you guys? ...As for doubled and blurred vision, I can't get rid of it even with my glasses, seriously, it sucks!

I don't think insomnia really needs to be called a severe mental disorder..I mean..I won't want to be called mentally disabled..

He said illness not mental disorder well as per question shouldn't government take some action over this illness

@vyndi:- being a solider is tuff hats off and salutes for the solider.

Skylar1
03-23-2010, 11:45 AM
I would say that in 2/3 nights it takes me an hour or more to fall asleep, in 1/4 nights it takes me two hours to fall asleep, and in 1/15 nights it take me 3 or more hours to fall alseep.

So, I'd consider it mild.

Vyndrasta
03-23-2010, 08:01 PM
How about certain nights being automatically full of adrenaline rush? Does that count?

Haoie
03-25-2010, 02:08 AM
Looks like everyone's insane then, huh?

Eris
03-25-2010, 05:39 AM
I have trouble sleeping every once in a while. It can usually be traced to something I did wrong in the hours before I hit the hay. Like using my computer just before sleep, or drinking coffee just before sleep, or whatnot.

Taikyo
03-25-2010, 06:11 AM
I just have bad sleeping problems. Sometimes I don't want to sleep at all, afraid that I won't wake up the next day, which happens often. Or I'm thinking too much.

And worse of above all... school and my artworks.. they keep me up and at'em instead of sleeping like I should be.

-Batman-
03-25-2010, 11:03 AM
every damn night.

3pleT
03-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Well, at first I used to have something that was a polar opposite of insomnia: I slept at least 10 hours a day and it was almost impossible to wake me up. When someone actually did wake me up, I displayed the severe thought disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_disorder) symptoms for about 20 minutes (according to my mother and cousins). Then the shrink prescribed me some meds, but they didn't seem to work... Until one day she told me the trick was to stop taking them. And then the whole thing turned upside-down:
I had some special kind of insomnia: I would wake up after less than four hours of sleep and have microsleep episodes throughout the day, and the only thing that could prevent this was taking bromazepam right before bedtime. It seems to have worked: I got myself used to having 8 hours of sleep and going to sleep 16 hours later... and you can actually wake me up using some (relatively quiet) sounds instead of Iraqi torture.

Skylar1
03-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Well, at first I used to have something that was a polar opposite of insomnia: I slept at least 10 hours a day and it was almost impossible to wake me up. When someone actually did wake me up, I displayed the severe thought disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_disorder) symptoms for about 20 minutes (according to my mother and cousins). Then the shrink prescribed me some meds, but they didn't seem to work... Until one day she told me the trick was to stop taking them. And then the whole thing turned upside-down:
I had some special kind of insomnia: I would wake up after less than four hours of sleep and have microsleep episodes throughout the day, and the only thing that could prevent this was taking bromazepam right before bedtime. It seems to have worked: I got myself used to having 8 hours of sleep and going to sleep 16 hours later... and you can actually wake me up using some (relatively quiet) sounds instead of Iraqi torture.
Maybe you have Narcolepsy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy)?

Schindler
03-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Nope. I don;t know what I'd do if i had that. I have to get up for work really early.

3pleT
03-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Maybe you have Narcolepsy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy)?
Past tense.

And no. Narcoleptic people have their sleep patterns all over the place. I originally suffered from hypersomnia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersomnia) but I overkilled it and ended up with (I just looked it up) middle-of-the-night insomnia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-of-the-night_insomnia) (i.e. waking in the middle of the night, sleepy throughout the day)... which I promptly cured.

Vyndrasta
03-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Past tense.

And no. Narcoleptic people have their sleep patterns all over the place. I originally suffered from hypersomnia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersomnia) but I overkilled it and ended up with (I just looked it up) middle-of-the-night insomnia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-of-the-night_insomnia) (i.e. waking in the middle of the night, sleepy throughout the day)... which I promptly cured.

Wow. That's something I never would have thought.
But I've always thought people who have insomnia stay awake for long period of hours AND can't even sleep in the day time.
We have receptor cells in our eyes that can distinguish light from dark, which makes our body react to be sleepy or being awake and also knowing when to sleep and when to be awake.

I know this is off topic but, I for one in favor of siesta time.
Nothing like a good afternoon nap.

Zandan
03-28-2010, 09:43 PM
I usually have about 10 hours of sleep a week. I've gotten used to it, so I don't really consider myself ill.

Sr Machinehead
03-29-2010, 04:58 AM
I like to think i suffer from insomnia but i have never exactly checked it out. i like this sleeping pattern better anyways. there's nothing so special about the daytime just a really brightly lit outdoors. but i get a good amount of sleep four to five hours every day does very good work for my senses. i blame my gaming tendencies for screwing up my sleeping pattern though.

nekosenshi
03-29-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't suffer from chronic insomnia, just occasionally something will bother me or excite me and I'll have a hard time falling asleep.