PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wiis in Schools?

Bulf
03-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Article (http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/49001-nintendos-miyamoto-wants-wii-in-schools)
Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind, but Nintendo does seem to be going a bit far now. It would certainly be more fun, and kids would probably go to class more...but whether they learn anything is a whole different case. I can't see this happening in America though, it'll probably stick to Japan, like the DS McDonalds Employee Training (http://www.thetanooki.com/2010/03/21/mcdonalds-employees-of-japan-to-be-trained-on-nintendo-ds/).

GameGeeks
03-22-2010, 01:51 PM
In early elementary school I could see this working, but not in later schooling. Only problem with doing that though would be kids might expect this every year. Games can teach basics but not advance stuff. Can you imagine trying to do, say, advance algebra on a Wii?

Srk
03-22-2010, 01:54 PM
This is a large step in the future of teaching.

Unless, however, the teacher buys Mario games instead of helpful school-realted ones.

Go Nintendo!

Ryuuzaki HD
03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Seems like a good idea they can be exercising, learning and having fun at the same time if only they had something like this when I was at school.

According to an AP interview, Miyamoto said the portable DS system is already set to be used "in junior high and elementary schools in Japan starting in the new school year."

This sounds awesome you could just sit at the back of the class and play your own games.

poshyterra
03-22-2010, 02:31 PM
my school has already used video game consoles to help us exercise. we have like 8 PS2s and some other stuff...

i say go for it. i like interactive learning. today i fell asleep in algebra because my teacher just talked about probability simulations for way too long. i like labs in science class and using the computers, why not use another interface? i'm sure like a.p. calc wouldn't work on the Wii, but why can't other stuff? i'm sure word games, spelling, grammar, etc. wouldn't be too complicated.

Go Nintendo!

Miss Moonlight
03-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Miyamoto clearly wants to take over the world.

Not that i'm complaining, though. I wish I was back in school and got to play video games ...

Anime Forum
03-22-2010, 03:15 PM
My brother's elementary's school already has one, which they use sometimes in gym. Middle School and High School using the wii in my eyes wouldn't work out.

Rulloxp
03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't see that happening. But, it would be amazing. To me, video games teach allot of stuff; much more than TV does. HAND EYE, ! I wish it was.. [:

Infinita
03-22-2010, 04:47 PM
I believe that it would help kids in elementary schools focus more and get more active but I don't think it should be in middle school or high schools. I think some kids will do nothing but only play the wii and won't get any work done. (Not all the students will do that but there's always the few that do nothing during class.)

KillerDragonX
03-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Well it wouldnt be the first time video games were put in schools, i know middle schools down in virginia who put ddr games in for some gym classes

Hanamaru Kunikida
03-28-2010, 11:26 PM
This is something I would want in my early school years! D=

wolfgirl90
03-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Well it wouldnt be the first time video games were put in schools, i know middle schools down in virginia who put ddr games in for some gym classes

I just about to say that.:p

Here in Virginia, many of the middle schools have included DDR as a part gym class. The funnest years of my life.:laugh:

Akuma no Hana
03-30-2010, 02:24 PM
The first thing that came to my mind when I read the title of this forum is a project that the librarian at my school in working on. He is currently working on making wii remote work with the smartboards which were just recently installed in some of our class rooms. Which I think would be really cool :D.