PDA

View Full Version : [Help - Browser] Firefox won't start

kimi no kioku
03-18-2010, 06:41 AM
I was on youtube and the video stopped loading, so I closed Firefox, then I remembered something else I wanted to do online, so I tried to reopen it. It said
"Firefox is already running but not responding, please close it or resart your system." So I decided to wait a minute and start again.
Then, nothing would open it, no matter what. It opened something else for a split second, then closed itself and did nothing. What should I do?

Gero50
03-18-2010, 08:50 AM
It is not a big deal it just sounds like the program may have crashed and now is stuck. Basically when you tried closing it before an error happened in memory causing it not to close completely. Part of the memory it was using may not have paged correctly. As memory/RAM only stores information when the system is running restarting it should close all programs and processes. Once the machine is rebooted and back up you should be able to use FireFox again.

kimi no kioku
03-18-2010, 09:28 AM
It is not a big deal it just sounds like the program may have crashed and now is stuck. Basically when you tried closing it before an error happened in memory causing it not to close completely. Part of the memory it was using may not have paged correctly. As memory/RAM only stores information when the system is running restarting it should close all programs and processes. Once the machine is rebooted and back up you should be able to use FireFox again.
Thank you. I'll try that.

Ashminigun
03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Or without restarting your PC, just press Ctrl + Alt + Del to invoke the Task Manager, go to Process tab, search for Firefox.exe on the list and kill the process. Then, you can use your Firefox again.

Gero50
03-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Or without restarting your PC, just press Ctrl + Alt + Del to invoke the Task Manager, go to Process tab, search for Firefox.exe on the list and kill the process. Then, you can use your Firefox again.
I was going to include that but it seemed like he did not know much on how processes work and if you end the wrong process you can cause serious operating system errors.

kimi no kioku
03-21-2010, 01:06 PM
I was going to include that but it seemed like he did not know much on how processes work and if you end the wrong process you can cause serious operating system errors.
I'm a girl believe it or not.

That crossed my mind, but my computer wasn't running very good, so I just turned it off. I haven't used my laptop since then, but when I do, if it didn't work, I'll just re-download firefox.
Thanks again.

Light Buster
03-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Try to uninstall Firefox and reinstall it. It worked for me so it should work for you too.

kimi no kioku
03-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Try to uninstall Firefox and reinstall it. It worked for me so it should work for you too.
That's my last resort. I haven't turned on my laptop yet. It's raining and the internet runs so bad that's it's almost useless to try to access it.

Gero50
03-21-2010, 11:17 PM
That won't always work unless she completely removes every directory from her registry that can be tough if you are not knowledgeable about Windows Registry.

Eris
03-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Could be an error in firefox' crash recovery that has it attempting to repair the session and therein load a page that makes it crash every time you visit it.

The Butcher
03-22-2010, 05:14 PM
I just keep clicking it until it comes back up.

Though sometimes I have to log off and come back on my computer account.