PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

cherrypopwizkid
03-12-2010, 02:13 AM
When you finish a series you really loved?

I just finnished Claymore, and I've been reminded of why I have so many box sets here with unwatched last disks. This may seem really over emmotional, but there's like a hole inside when you have to abandon the characters you fail in love with.

Obviously you could just watch it again...And I know with Claymore the manga goes well beyond the series and has a different ending from where the anime left off.

But does anyone else feel this, and what do you do?

I thought about drawing. I've never been to great at it but I guess i could improve. I jsut feel like I want to work with these characters in some way after these series end.

小美ドクロchan
03-12-2010, 10:56 AM
If I'm REALLY sad about it being over, I read the manga if there is one. If that still isn't enough, I draw fanart or doujinshi. =] And buy doujinshi online.

-P.N.-
03-12-2010, 11:00 AM
first I would try to look for everything that related to the series like: OVA, manga, ect...
then...I name my stuff as the character I loved in the end of series XD
My cellphone name "SABER-chan"
er.. and so is my mp3 player, and my lab top...
I dun do fanart for Saber tho, since my drawing is bad.. It make me feel sad when I mess her up.
~P.N.~

cherrypopwizkid
03-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't read manga. Its hard to get all the volumes because there aren't really "box sets" like with anime. I never buy single volume animes I always wait for a complete box set of a series or at the very least a season, which is why I'm always behind everyone else on newer shows.

Plus manga is expensive paticullarly when your buying anime at the same time.

But I may have no choice but to start. For claymore I need to eithier read the manga, or learn a new phrase in Japanese: "If you don't make a second season of Claymnore I'm going to take my own life." Wonder if that will work?

As much as i talk about them, I've never finished Witch Hunter Robin or Evangelion eithier. Isn't that pathetic?? I have all the episodes of both series, I'm just anxious about going through the torment.

Rolo Vi Britannia
03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
When i finished Code Geass I got really depressed, same with FMA, Gundam 00, Blood Plus, and Death Note.

I guess I get sad because I miss the characters. Most those shows have sad endings(except Gundam 00, but season1 did.) Although as a Tieria fan, I hated the ending
I usually listen to songs that remind me of it and rewatch the series almost instantly.

cherrypopwizkid
03-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Well....

As soon as I wrote the last post on here I stared at it for a solid minute. 0.0

Then the pre-battle music from claymore poped into my head.

I whiped my car keys from there sheath, awakened the lower half of my body, and sprang to Barnes and Noble. I now have volumes 1-3 of the Claymore manga.... I bought some art supplies to.

So I guess I'm a manga reader now. 0.o

J Gundam
03-12-2010, 01:36 PM
I get sad whenever I finish a series too but unless it's a holiday and I have several free days, I don't re-watch it. I'll either listen to the OST and maybe read a related manga(if there is one).

I'll get into another anime for a few months and then re-watch the series when I have a strong urge to.

JIMBO.
03-12-2010, 01:54 PM
a lot of the manga I read is still going strong, if one of them ends I move onto the next thing.

I was mad at how the Trigun manga ended. it was one of my faves of all time.

The Butcher
03-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Think how awesome it was,then I move on to other Animes to see if they beat my most favorite Anime.

Gero50
03-12-2010, 09:00 PM
I felt that way when I finished Fruits Basket. I loved it and didn't want it to end though sadly it did ep 26 was great though it was the last thing from a good stopping point for the anime. The manga of course has the complete series and how it really ends.

TheThunderBringer
03-12-2010, 09:24 PM
I get bad grades in school when stuff like this happens...once I watched the whooole show over again...but that made it a bit harder to start another lol. I just search the internets (mainly this site) for a new show I've heard about and have planned to see, and start it.

Diocletian
03-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Not really. I have so much backlog that I sometimes am just glad a series is over so I can get into the next one. I on occasion get that (Black Lagoon), but it's not super likely.

Condey
03-12-2010, 09:44 PM
I feel you, man. I just finished Welcome to the NHK for the second time and I'm almost stuck in a state of carthasis because I know they'll never continue it.

Its really hard to just say, "Well, you were great characters and you were part of a great story... Bye".

As for coping... I'll give you an answer once the hole in my heart recedes. :'(

Zetsubou-Billy
03-12-2010, 10:33 PM
i cant let go to a great anime. once its over. it like now what do i do i watched and read everything. I don't want to start anything new lol

Rams
03-22-2010, 09:38 AM
I reflect on the series as a whole, try to make sense of parts I didn't understand well (if it's a complicated series), and imagine how it would've continued. This normally doesn't last long though. I move on to a new series pretty quick. ;P

Oh! there are series that might affect me profoundly though. I think the name of one was Deep Love: The Story of Ayu. It's REALLY depressing. It's not like I took a whole lot from it but I still become sad when I think about it.

GameGeeks
03-22-2010, 10:10 AM
I tend to see if I can't find similar anime (don't read manga). If I can't I just move onto the next one that I have on my list.

Doom85
03-22-2010, 02:04 PM
I feel a bit down when a great series down, yet at the same time will vocally defend those endings. Any suggestion of a continuation of Bebop, FLCL, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, etc. will get a massive veto from me. Those shows had a definitive ending, there's no need for any more.

That being said, there are a few times where a continuation would work, either because they're not anime-original and thus there's more manga/light novel material that could be animated (Baccano, Shakugan no Shana, Black Lagoon, etc.), or if it's a series that made it fairly obvious how a sequel could be open (Darker than Black Season 1, for example). And sometimes I can eat my own words when a show I ASSUMED could not possibly continue in any satisfying way does in fact do so (granted, the Rebuild Evangelion series isn't connected to the original TV series/EoE, as far as we know anyway, but I think it somewhat counts as an example).

JapanAni
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
once a show is over I go for the manga, I like to see what kind of route the original creator does with the series. Since the anime is slightly different than what the original had planned for. I would most likely re-watch a favorite series just to not forget about it. I still go back to watching Card Captor Sakura since Tsubasa is not as great.

whenever a series is done, I try to find a similar series or read/watch something made by the same person.

John Watson
03-23-2010, 04:32 PM
I either cry when its all over then I give a round of appluase. A wonderful anime deserves a standing ovation! T^T

Sometimes I'll buy little trinkets from that anime from FYE or Hot Topic. Even buy some DVD's. I'm not otaku enough to buy box sets. Oo;

poshyterra
03-23-2010, 04:50 PM
i just move on. when FMA, Death Note, and Code Geass ended i googled and found Soul Eater. then i started watching Bleach and got back into me Naruto.

xXPainful SmilexX
03-23-2010, 05:53 PM
I look up fanfics, read the wikis, watch AMVs, and look at pictures of the series. I usually get over them pretty quick, except Gundam 00. I'm still into it, and have been re-watching it repeatedly.

Käras
03-23-2010, 08:01 PM
It would really depend on the series for me. Sometimes its kinda depressing, sometimes it really pisses me off, and sometimes I am just overjoyed that I got to see a great show. Regardless of how I felt, the first thing I do when the shows over (almost instinctivly) is go Wiki the show and get all information regarding it. Since they have info on both the Manga and anime, and it lets you know whats diffearnt. I'm not big on reading manga, but if I was going to because the show felt empty on a lot, it would be Fruits Basket. Since it said there was a considerable amount differant, and with a lot more story.
Also depending on my mood after the show it deterimines whether or not I will start a new series that moment, or wait. Some shows make it hard to sleep cause I can't stop thinking about what happened, I mean it could of been a great show, but lots of stuff annoyed me to the point of constantly thinking about it. Some I say "well that was cool, what else do I have".

I don't rewatch most shows since I can still remember them well, but when I get forgetful about them, I must relearn how they were lol. Unless its a show like Chaos;Head in which I just can't do that one...

cherrypopwizkid
03-23-2010, 08:25 PM
I do that too. I'm a wiki adict and so its hard to avoid doing that while I'm still watching it and end up with a spolier...Though I almost wonder if it would be easier to spoil it first.

I just finished Evangellion + the movie....I have to say I was a bit disappointed with some of the choices they made with that one.

Nanuq
03-23-2010, 09:03 PM
I've had that happen before and I get upset but then I find something just as good and watch that 8D Or if you really do miss it, just go ahead and read the manga. I'm sure it'll broaden some things the anime didn't cover~

Rei
03-23-2010, 10:19 PM
I'd re-watch the series almost immediately, like I have been doing with Code Geass and FFVII (almost living, eating and breathing it) and I draw characters from those animes, make up my own characters and side-stories which could seriously morph into fanfics.

I'm thinking of getting the Code Geass box set. Though I don't think they sell it in my country. >_>;;But by God, R1 and R2 box sets would wipe out two weeks of my pay.

GameGeeks
03-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Do you mean you replay the game again or are you talking about the ova Last Order?

Rei
03-23-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm currently playing Dissidia lol, and Code Geass: Lost Colors.

GameGeeks
03-23-2010, 10:27 PM
I was just confused since FFVII was a game and this is in anime/manga. :P

Rei
03-23-2010, 10:32 PM
I guess so. ^^ I was referring to the FFVII - AC at the same time. And I just remembered I was gonna get Code Geass R1 and R2 from my cousin who'd downloaded it... >_>""

GameGeeks
03-23-2010, 10:36 PM
And that slipped my mind, wish they'd translate AC Complete. Dissidia is fun, too bad I can't play with anyone.

Rei
03-23-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm on the last stage of Cloud's mission, fighting Sephiroth. It's scary. One of Cloud's EX attacks isn't enough to finish him off, and if Sephiroth get's to the next EX core, you're gone...playing as Sephiroth is much more fun though. ^^

GameGeeks
03-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, Cloud was the first one I did. Sephiroth was a royal pain. Just wait till you have to face Chaos. Three battles in a row with one life bar for all three summons and his summon (Shinryu, can't get) renews each round while yours doesn't.

Rei
03-23-2010, 11:01 PM
God yes. Cloud seems so weak then. That's why I thought the way Sephiroth got killed in AC was stupid. Heh, when does your enemy's life bar never recover? And you're always just stuck with one to fight through all the battles...

GameGeeks
03-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Last fight of the game, and Cloud isn't weak, he's just slow, but his hp attack hit like a mack truck. Though I think we're getting off topic, we can continue this in PMs if you want or open a new topic for the game if there isn't one.

Rei
03-23-2010, 11:28 PM
True we Are going off-topic. I'll probably open a thread if I wanna discuss it further. (:

Forgotten Show
03-24-2010, 01:35 AM
It's these strange phobias of series endings that keep shows like Bleach and Naruto alive...

Bad Memory

GameGeeks
03-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Nah, that, like DBZ, is to keep a cash cow going.

cherrypopwizkid
03-24-2010, 02:12 AM
Please don't mistake me. One of the reasons I love anime is that unlike American television, MOST (though clearly not all i.e. Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, etc.) the Japanese seem to understand that a good story has a good resolution. They end things before they become ridiculous.

None the less, its still emotionally draining at times.

GameGeeks
03-24-2010, 02:16 AM
Yeah, but at the same time ending it early can leave some anime feeling rushed or leave a lot of plot holes.

cherrypopwizkid
03-24-2010, 02:20 AM
Very true. I feel like that happened with the initial Evangellion release, although frankly, I felt like had they adjusted there internal plot a little bit episode 24 would have been a great conclusion... I'd love to start a thread about that but I don't know how to block out spoilers. =(

So budget cuts do that, production schedules do that... Sometimes you also get those things where the producers are making the anime as a supplement for people who liked the manga so they aren't covering the whole story. I really wanted to see another Boogie Pop Phantom series, the ova left me craving more.

GameGeeks
03-24-2010, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I hate when an anime is just a supplement. If anything, they end up hurting the anime instead of helping it. Rushed just leaves you wanting more when the conclusion was supposed to give you satisfaction. Plot holes are the worst and can really ruin an anime when it would other wise be a good if not great anime if those holes where answered.

cherrypopwizkid
03-24-2010, 02:59 AM
Anime seems to have a lot of them too. When discussing if there is such a thing as an anime style, I argue that there is, but it has more to do with how Japanese 'artist' tell a story than it is the fact that there characters have eyes the size of disco balls and twice as sparkly.

Doom85
03-24-2010, 07:46 AM
unlike American television

Hey, hey! LOST, Battlestar Galactica, Arrested Development, Sopranos, Buffy, Angel, Firefly/Serenity, etc. A few of these were due to cancellation, but still. They did have definitive endings (well, YMMV with Sopranos, but for my money the final shot implies Tony lives, but that's just me).

(sorry, I am an anime fan, but I will also defend regular TV shows if they get unfairly criticized)

Schindler
03-25-2010, 07:17 PM
I will just usually keep watching it over and over again. But I do hate it when a really good series ends.. ):<