PDA

View Full Version : [Help - System] How long before upgrade needed?

Skylar1
03-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm using a Mac ver 10.3.9 with Firefox 1.0.6, and unfortuanately because I'm not using a Mac ver 10.4 or higher, I can't install the Firefox 3.6 browser.

What I want to ask here is how long am I going to be able to ride out this old browser before I absolutely need to get a new computer, and what functions excately will I see disapear right away after March 15th?

thanks in advance~

Aizmov
03-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Firefox 1.0.x. In fact any Firefox before 3.x doesn't support many of the new standards that are becoming more and more common. Soon you'll find yourself either asked to upgrade or directed to a bare bones version of the site.
You wont be able to ride off of Firefox 1.0.x for long. Firefox 2.0.x is the last version to support Panther.

If you can't get a new Mac, then I recommend Opera 10. Opera 10 is a modern browser that still runs on 10.3.x

Firefox 3.7 is dropping 10.4.11 and earlier
So 10.4 support is soon gonna be doomed
:( <- My G4 Cube runs 10.4.11 and can't install 10.5.x

So if you can install 10.5 (Leopard) then do so, else you'd have to get a new Mac.

What Mac have you got?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3759

Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard requires:

A Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or Power PC G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor
512 MB memory or more
A DVD drive for installation
9 GB of available disk space or more
Some features require a compatible Internet service provider, fees may apply.
Some features require Apple's MobileMe service; fees apply.
Good thing is, if your Mac is too old for Leopard then even the Mac mini would be a huge upgrade for you. That's what I'm getting to replace my 450MHz PowerMac G4 Cube :D