PDA

View Full Version : What in anime do you hate?

kimi no kioku
02-22-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't know if there is already a thread like this, but I couldn't find one.
Anyway, this is about the things you commonly see in anime/manga that you can't stand. I'm not talking about characters. I'm more talking about element.
For example, I hate when the main guy has like five girls to pair him with. Like how on Code Geass you have Shirley, Kallen. and CC.
I wonder if anyone will even post on this thread....

Lily Rock
02-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Well, horror, drama and romance isn't so fun...
I watched Shakugan no Shana, that perverted pair, who just kissed eachother like idk, made me so damn sick i can just puke...

小美ドクロchan
02-22-2010, 11:37 AM
*I hate when the heroine is totally obsessing over a perfect prince character and there's another boy who does everything for her but she doesn't even notice that he loves her more. :banghead:

*I hate when characters are always orphans or half-orphans with no good reason for it.

*I hate when class girls decide to beat up the heroine just because the cool guys pay more attention to her. They actually think she should be PUNISHED for that!? Gimme a break!!

*I hate poorly-developed romance. Especially if it's as rushed as the first episode. Just no.

Bandaid X
02-22-2010, 11:47 AM
*I hate when the heroine is totally obsessing over a perfect prince character and there's another boy who does everything for her but she doesn't even notice that he loves her more. :banghead:

Ditto! This also drives me up the wall! Silly princesses... ^^;

Hakuchuumu
02-22-2010, 01:11 PM
There's a huge list of things I hate in anime, but I'll sum it up with just a few: (They were basically already stated, but I'll state them again)
1.) I hate love triangles. There have been so many series where I just quit because the love triangle(s) were just ridiculous..
2.) I hate when the female main character is all loopy in love for the 'perfect' guy and is friends with another guy who really actually loves her. But instead of getting the chance to be with her, he has to sit there an entire series and listen to her rant and rave about said 'perfect' guy.
3.) I hate when a character is forced to choose between like 4-5 people he/she lives with. You always want them to end up with a character you prefer, but they never do. They usually end up with the person you least like or with no one at all and they all just get along and live their lives happily ever after, the end.

Most of the things I dislike have to do with romance. ._. So I'll just end it there.. Lolz.

Gjallarhorn
02-22-2010, 01:33 PM
*I hate when the heroine is totally obsessing over a perfect prince character and there's another boy who does everything for her but she doesn't even notice that he loves her more.

It's an accurate reflection of the real world.

I hate unnecessary drama, and highschool-esque drama. I prefer my drama to have some sort of philosophical or moral crisis, rather than "Male A fell and saw Female A's panties, so Female B who Male A will obvious end up with throws a fit but forgets about it an episode later". This is something that occurs far, far too often in modern anime.

I hate bipolar series, where it's serious one moment and absurd comedy the next, or inserting light-heartedness into an otherwise serious situation. Bleach tends to be a shiny example of this, with wise-cracks and one-liners every 5 minutes or so during a fight scene. It's just an overall lack of consistency.

I hate shows that lack substance, particular moe series. K-ON, Manabi Strait, Lucky Star, etc. Yeah, yeah, they all have their cheap gimmick, but they all lack any thought or coordination or...story...or depth...or development.

I hate "open" endings. The author or scriptwriter or whoever is telling a story. That is their job. Tell me a story, maybe make a point. Don't get 99% of the way though and just give me a "lolololol u gess wut hapenz!" Screw that. I read and/or watched your series to see where it was going, so make it goddamn go somewhere; don't leave it up to me! Notable for this is Eureka Seven. I loved Eureka Seven, but the ending botched it entirely. GAINAX tends to do this a fair amount too; "GAINAX Endings".

小美ドクロchan
02-22-2010, 03:28 PM
It's an accurate reflection of the real world.

Nah, if it were a reflection of the real world, the second boy would be either very geeky, ugly, or creepy.:laugh: But in anime and manga , on top of truly having a good heart, he's usually even hotter than the "prince" so as the viewer, you're just sitting there going "WTF SHE'S SO STUPID NOT TO GO FOR HIM INSTEAD!!"

.....kinda shallow, I know. But what sane girl WOULDN'T want all the good stuff with a guy? XD

Oh there's another anime cliche I hate:

"Let's kill everybody for drama"-type endings!! Lame. T_T

ladymisslilac
02-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Cliffhangers.

Still, it gets me watching the next episode :D

Gero50
02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Well I am very open to anime and what happens in it. Though one thing I use to hate when I was a kid is that it always seemed open ended and unfinished. Like that great epic ending you were waiting the whole series to see but then it terns out it sucked or was rushed or whatever the case. Now I understand quite a bit more about Japanese style series including anime/manga and now know it is simply a common fact in anime stories and Japanese stories over all in fact.

Käras
02-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Nah, if it were a reflection of the real world, the second boy would be either very geeky, ugly, or creepy.:laugh: But in anime and manga , on top of truly having a good heart, he's usually even hotter than the "prince" so as the viewer, you're just sitting there going "WTF SHE'S SO STUPID NOT TO GO FOR HIM INSTEAD!!"

.....kinda shallow, I know. But what sane girl WOULDN'T want all the good stuff with a guy? XD

No, hes right, no offense inteded towards anyone, but girls nowadays don't seem to care about a guy with a "good heart". I know one girl in paticular that is like that, she has gone through more Boyfriends than ive gone through cars (im a car nut, so its a big number) in the past few years because they only look at certain aspects.

As for staying on topic, I hate characters that can't think for themselves, or f-ing complain, and whine the whole time, IE Shinji from Evangelion, and damn near the whole cast of Gantz. There are moe ofcourse, its a comment trait, those two are the worst.
Then I also hate how the most retarded, inbred looking character gets set in a harem setting that is completly unrealistic in anyway, and makes the whole show seem stupid.
Then there is also the main thing I really don't like, and its kinda personal. But I hate pointless deaths... I respect women, so watching a show like Samurai gun, where they just blatenly kill off women with no reason, or even horror movies for that matter. I refuse to watch how stupidly they kill off people. Its always without reason.
Edit: And another thing. When a girl loves a guy, but acts like she hates him, only for him to fall in love with another girl, then she gets jealous. It kinda falls into the, them being stupid catagory, But whatever.

小美ドクロchan
02-22-2010, 08:49 PM
No, hes right, no offense inteded towards anyone, but girls nowadays don't seem to care about a guy with a "good heart".

Ho...THIS girl does.......but like most humans, I'm shallow so he has to be attractive to me too. XD;

The Butcher
02-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Romantic characters,and the ones who wine about peace and do not like killing,even when necessary.

We need more Alucards in Anime.

Diocletian
02-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah, like that chan guy said, I hate it when the parents are dead. I'm really wondering how a nation that has so few cars can cause so many car accidents where the parents die. Is it inexperience?

The king of the dead parents is Tokko. Only the parents are dead, what the hell?

ArtieBoy
02-23-2010, 06:09 AM
The girls that sound Horney all the time is annoying.
thats why i like manga more. People walk pass my room and they think im watching hentai and stuff

kimi no kioku
02-23-2010, 06:34 AM
1. I hate when it seems like the writers kill a character just so that way they'll be out of the way for a couple.
2. When the characters fall in love like 2 seconds after meeting each other for the first time.
3. Characters who are crazy and kill people for no reason.
4. When the head villain has some kind of sob story that is supposed to justify what they've done. Thank God Gundam 00 taught me what real villains were like.
5. When it had over 70 episodes.
6. When something serious is happening and it randomly cuts to this humor part.

Raiden17
02-23-2010, 07:59 AM
When 4Kids get hold of it
Basically the lameness of accents involved: see Jack Atlas

When they kill off the character I love
When they have token characters: ie. they often just make one character and don't give them any proper plotline but then justify their existence by making them "quirky". I really wanna know more about Lloyd in Code Geass is basically what I'm trying to say.

xXPainful SmilexX
02-23-2010, 11:13 AM
I hate when they kill characters just for the hell of it. Like to make you sad, without any other reason.

小美ドクロchan
02-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Yeah, like that chan guy said, I hate it when the parents are dead. I'm really wondering how a nation that has so few cars can cause so many car accidents where the parents die. Is it inexperience?

The king of the dead parents is Tokko. Only the parents are dead, what the hell?

Oi, I'm a girl! *points to gender sign*:rolleyes:

But yeah, the car accident thing you said was LOL. Why is it ALWAYS A FREAKIN CAR ACCIDENT!? :laugh:

Diocletian
02-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Chan girl, my bad.

5. When it had over 70 episodes.

And she told me she never saw Legend of the Galactic Heroes!

cherrypopwizkid
03-03-2010, 01:08 AM
"Monster of the week" type series. I can't really get into this. I almost turned my back on both Witch Hunter Robin and Bleach for this reason. I need an overarching storyline. I just NEED it. Luckily both of these shows turned that around and became personal favorites.

And I may take a lot of grief for this, but can 'Trigun' be an adjective? Its not the type of show I hate, its the lack of ability to successfully pull off any mottiff shows like it used.

I hate it when comedy isn't funny at all, its more just god I don't know, when the characters in a series that would otherwise be more of a serious nature act like they have problems, like there anti-social and developmentally challanged or something. In a series that isn't set up to be taken that seriously its ok.... The best example for me is Bleach. In season 1 it was a bit more acceptable, but when the music changes ,the background goes solid, and someones head gets twelve sizes to big in season 2 it feels kind of out of place.

kimi no kioku
03-03-2010, 06:53 AM
"Monster of the week" type series. I can't really get into this. I almost turned my back on both Witch Hunter Robin and Bleach for this reason. I need an overarching storyline. I just NEED it. Luckily both of these shows turned that around and became personal favorites.

And I may take a lot of grief for this, but can 'Trigun' be an adjective? Its not the type of show I hate, its the lack of ability to successfully pull off any mottiff shows like it used.

I hate it when comedy isn't funny at all, its more just god I don't know, when the characters in a series that would otherwise be more of a serious nature act like they have problems, like there anti-social and developmentally challanged or something. In a series that isn't set up to be taken that seriously its ok.... The best example for me is Bleach. In season 1 it was a bit more acceptable, but when the music changes ,the background goes solid, and someones head gets twelve sizes to big in season 2 it feels kind of out of place.
Thank you. I totally agree with everything you just said.

Videlreyes
03-15-2010, 09:40 AM
The girls that sound Horney all the time is annoying

yes! i really hate that too! i been to japan and the girls don't even sound like that. they just try to make them sound all cute, but they don't.

i also hate it when there's a nice,shy, sweet girl that gets pushed around and made fun of by mean girls and don't stand up for herself! :banghead: it makes me feel like going into the anime and punching the mean girls in the face haha

Rolo Vi Britannia
03-15-2010, 12:53 PM
yes! i really hate that too! i been to japan and the girls don't even sound like that. they just try to make them sound all cute, but they don't.

i also hate it when there's a nice,shy, sweet girl that gets pushed around and made fun of by mean girls and don't stand up for herself! :banghead: it makes me feel like going into the anime and punching the mean girls in the face haha
Lol. I hate that too! I really hate when the shy, sweet, cute girl is head over heels for this guy, and he completely ignores her! It makes me want to go into the anime and punch the guy! :curses:

3mO.AnG3L.La3La
03-15-2010, 01:01 PM
What i hat3 th3 most is th3 h3ntai! wh3n i got into anim3 it was on3 of th3 first things i found and it totally corupt3d my mind! (i was still young and innoc3nt! Wah! lol...)

Art Line
03-15-2010, 01:31 PM
There are a lot of things I don't like, but most of them are genre specific, so that's easily avoidable. But one of the things I hate most is a potentially good plot overrun by a developing romance. I don't care if characters end up in relationships, and I really don't care how or when it happens, but I DO care when the characters in said relationship can no longer speak, act, or think of their own accord because of it, or can no longer contribute depth or intellect to any situation without seeking the advice/help/companionship of their new boyfriend/girlfriend. I hate seeing this in real life, so why would I want to see it in an anime? It just weakens the characters and, in my opinion, makes them unlikable.

Also, I hate when characters incessantly worry to the point where it paralyzes any action. It's ridiculously frustrating, especially when the decision seems obvious.

Rolo Vi Britannia
03-15-2010, 01:33 PM
There are a lot of things I don't like, but most of them are genre specific, so that's easily avoidable. But one of the things I hate most is a potentially good plot overrun by a developing romance. I don't care if characters end up in relationships, and I really don't care how or when it happens, but I DO care when the characters in said relationship can no longer speak, act, or think of their own accord because of it, or can no longer contribute depth or intellect to any situation without seeking the advice/help/companionship of their new boyfriend/girlfriend. I hate seeing this in real life, so why would I want to see it in an anime? It just weakens the characters and, in my opinion, makes them unlikable.

I know what you mean. Like Allelujah on Gundam 00. They make a character awesome and then butcher him on season 2 when they put him in a 'canon couple'
Every two words was the chicks name. It was enough to drive me crazy.

Condey
03-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Nosebleeds. Never found'em funny. Made Karin kind of hard to watch.

Edit:

And those lame sexual misunderstanding jokes. Like when a male character trips and slams dead-center into a womans breasts. I've seen it so many times that I can usually see it coming a mile away, killing any comic effect.

Or alternatively when the male character trips, topples over the female character and then a third party enters the room and immediately takes it the wrong way, even though most reasonable people wouldn't assume that it was because of something sexual, especially if they heard a giant crashing sound beforehand. Love Hina was notorius for this and it grated on me a lot.

Oh and when a show uses either its opening or ending theme as the background music for every major dramatic scene. It gets old to hear the same song throughout a series.

I hate shows that lack substance, particular moe series. K-ON, Manabi Strait, Lucky Star, etc. Yeah, yeah, they all have their cheap gimmick, but they all lack any thought or coordination or...story...or depth...or development.

Can't agree more. It seems like shows like those are just marketing cutsey characters so that they can make money off of figurines and merchandise.

Rams
03-15-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm with Condey on the whole "clumsy male protagonist" bit. I think I found it funny only a couple times, and that was more because of the art than because of the situation.

What I REALLY hate though is a series with lots of filler and a series that should've ended years ago. When it starts recycling the same themes, they need to either refresh the storyline or just give it up and move on.

shinjuuzumaki13
03-16-2010, 12:10 AM
i hate it when they take too long to get the story going. Like in naruto where there are scenes where the wind is just blowing, then they flashback to what yu saw five minutes ago....then more blowing wind....

IFS
03-16-2010, 12:18 AM
i hate it when they take too long to get the story going. Like in naruto where there are scenes where the wind is just blowing, then they flashback to what yu saw five minutes ago....then more blowing wind....lol to this, its so true, I hate when the characters are so useless that you just want to smack them so hard, like in evangelion, I wanted to kill shinji myself for being such a retard

小美ドクロchan
03-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Can't agree more. It seems like shows like those are just marketing cutsey characters so that they can make money off of figurines and merchandise.

Not like other genres don't do the same thing. *coughmechacoughgamescoughmagicalgirlseriescough* :rolleyes:

1Inuyasha
03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Omg. I hate super long animes like naruto and bleach Its like what the hell. when is it going to end. I gave up on bleach and naruto... too damn long. I also hate like everyone else said, when the shy girl is pushed and bullied. it reminds me of my old days and makes me wanna grab the person out the tv and kick a hole in them. but I really hate when they kill my favorite character off for no freaking reason. like wth man wth!

John Watson
03-16-2010, 04:06 PM
I truly despise the slutty anime girls. Okay in ecchi they're supposed to be a little frisky but in a show that isnt ecchi I cant STAND when the girls skirts get lifted and everyone can see her panties, or she has a moany, whiney voice or just blushes WAY too much. OOH, and when a girl is being man-handled by some pervy guy and she doesnt fight back. Like, she wants it! EW.

I dont like the really depressed and sad anime character whose life is just filled with despair and they act coldly to everyone because they're in a bad mood. (i.e, Sasuke)

OH GOD. I HATE when there's too much talking when they're supposed to be kicking each other's butts! Cut the crap and beat each other up already! (i.e, Bleach) Do ya think in real life the enemy is just going to wait until you say what you have to say? In the time the characters had been blabbering away they would've been killed 10 times already in reality. But noooooo the enemy just stands there and lets them talk. Oi..-_-;

I also dont like when the characters think they can persuade someone from doing what they want to just because they're spilling their guts or begging them not to do it. Its gonna take alot more than words to stop someone who is strong in their will. (i.e, Naruto) But I still love Naruto. Oo'