PDA

View Full Version : Question for macpro users

International 4-8818
02-16-2010, 08:20 PM
When i say macpro,i don't mean the macbook pro. Just the desktop macpro.

Anyway, i need to get a faster rig and i am going to be purchasing a macpro but while looking at the upgrades for it, the cost makes it an anti-boner. They are way to expensive. Anyway, i am going through newegg to purchase the upgraded CPU's, RAM, harddrives, and blah blah blah, but my main question are the video cards. Apple has the choice between 1-4 Nvidia Geforce gt 120 512mb or 1 ATI Radeo HD 4870 512mb. Can i just buy a completely different graphics card that is not one of these and install it onto a macpro?

Vyndrasta
02-16-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm pretty sure you can.
But have you tried calling up their support hotline/help lab?
I don't have a MacPro, you lucky punk! lol

International 4-8818
02-17-2010, 01:50 AM
lol, well my macbook pro is slowing chugging through what i want it to do, so i need to upgrade. I do a lot of photography and video work so it will be a good investment.

Vyndrasta
02-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Well, the MacPro is the top of the line I heard.
I'm satisfied with my 27in iMac.
I work for Blizzard Entertainment part time to help GM certain servers and I need the ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics with 512mb in it. The graphics is flawless. But I'm sure the MacPro can beat my 27in iMac. xD

I can't believe you'd pay that much for one. I cant afford it. @_@

Aizmov
02-17-2010, 04:38 AM
When i say macpro,i don't mean the macbook pro. Just the desktop macpro.

Anyway, i need to get a faster rig and i am going to be purchasing a macpro but while looking at the upgrades for it, the cost makes it an anti-boner. They are way to expensive. Anyway, i am going through newegg to purchase the upgraded CPU's, RAM, harddrives, and blah blah blah, but my main question are the video cards. Apple has the choice between 1-4 Nvidia Geforce gt 120 512mb or 1 ATI Radeo HD 4870 512mb. Can i just buy a completely different graphics card that is not one of these and install it onto a macpro?

Buy the Mac Pro, and then buy the upgrade from other vendors. Don't get the upgrades from Apple directly.

The beauty of the Mac Pro is that it is user expandable.

International 4-8818
02-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Well of course i am going to buy the upgrades from a different vendor but for the graphics cards, am i only limited to the two cards apple offers?

Vyndrasta
02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
The beauty of the Mac Pro is that it is user expandable.

So it must be.
As much as I know that Apple hates their products being altered, MacPro is an exception. Just do it dude. =D

Aizmov
02-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Well of course i am going to buy the upgrades from a different vendor but for the graphics cards, am i only limited to the two cards apple offers?

Apple offers standard ATI and nVidia GPUs, if it fits it'll work, but make sure there are drivers for OS X.

Check which GPUs have Mac OS X drivers
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index5.aspx?lang=en-us
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
If Apple doesn't charge significantly more than other vendors for GPU, get 'em from Apple.