PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation Request

javierjavier
02-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Hi! I'm really new to the world of anime. I've only watched two series in full, "Cowboy Bebop" and "Gunsword", though both of those have quickly became two of my favorite shows of all time. Here's a few things I like and a few things I don't care for

Enigmatic Male Lead Character
Drama though Generally Lighthearted
Realistic Animation style (Cowboy Bebop looks beautiful and has realism, as opposed to like... dragonball z, which looks very cartoony)
Episodic is okay, but character development, and central story is crucial

Things I don't care for:
Mecha (I don't hate it, but I don't want it to be the focus)
Magic
Sex (It can be part of a show, but again, I don't like it as the main focus)

So if anyone has any recommendations, that would be great! After watching these two shows, I could really see myself getting into anime. In the meantime I'm going to watch FLCL because I've heard a lot about it. If anyone has any questions that would help them make recommendations, I'll be very responsive! Thank you all!

P.S. I LOVE steampunk, so if there are any good steampunk animes, throw those out there too!

Gjallarhorn
02-15-2010, 10:56 PM

Things I don't care for:
Mecha (I don't hate it, but I don't want it to be the focus)

Space opera is almost synonymous with mecha. The two go hand-in-hand more often than not.

As far as space operas go, I'd recommend Captain Harlock (or Herlock).

If you liked Cowboy Bebop, you're almost guaranteed to like Outlaw Star.

Also, a shout out for the original Mobile Suit Gundam series (0079).

javierjavier
02-15-2010, 11:00 PM
I mean, mecha is okay, but I liked how in gunsword, the mecha wasn't the central focus. I've seen episodes of other mecha shows before where whole episodes are just giant mecha fights, and I'd like to avoid that for the most part, I'm more interested in characters

StabWound
02-16-2010, 12:05 AM
It sounds like you might enjoy Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It's a space opera on a massive scale with a huge cast of fully fleshed out, unforgettable characters and an intricate well thought out plot that is beyond epic.
I would recommend watching the prequel movie "My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars" before jumping into the main series though. That way you get a small taste of what you're in for and can decide whether it's for you or not.

I'll also second Harlock, and really any of Leiji Matsumoto's works. Galaxy Express 999 being my personal favorite.

Rolo Vi Britannia
02-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Hm... The only space show I've seen besides Cowboy Bebop is Mobile Suit Gundam 00. But, the first season is sort of boring. If you watch that, I suggest you start on episode 9.

However, if you can survive season 1(Which I enjoyed, but I'm a big mecha fan after Code Geass.) the second season has alot of character moments. Although I enjoyed the whole series, until I watched season 2, then season 1 seemed boring.
But I doubt that's what you're looking for.

Isaac.
02-16-2010, 03:25 PM
I would recommend Trigun. It's a space western with lots of action, comedy, drama (lighthearted, as you want) and all that good stuff. The central story isn't as focused on is as the development of characters and philosophies, but if you enjoyed Cowboy Bebop then I'm sure you'll love Trigun!

小美ドクロchan
02-16-2010, 11:05 PM
If you liked Cowboy Bebop, you're almost guaranteed to like Outlaw Star.

^Seconded! Outlaw Star really rocks my socks. XD It's truly a fun series and a little more light-hearted (iya, a LOT more) than Bebop but has a perfect blend of comedy and drama. It's not drawn as realistically but the style's pretty unique in itself. The characters are all super-likable, especially the main man Gene Starwind himself!

I've been rewatching it and almost forgot just how great this show is.:) Ahh 90s anime...<3

-GAZKUL-
02-17-2010, 11:19 AM
i reccomend Heroic Age

i am not a si-fi/mecha fanm , personally i hate them but i was actually able to watch this one more than once it was so good.

TheThunderBringer
02-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Definitely going to second the motion on Trigun, great show, similar to Bebop.

Käras
02-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Well from what you said, my best recommendation would be Mobile Suit Gundam the 08th MS team. It has almost exactly what you asked for.