PDA

View Full Version : Transliteration help

cornjuliox
02-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums. I used to have an account on the old AL forums under the name teh_saber. I've recently started studying Japanese (seriously) and I wanted to try transliterating and translating a song. Could someone here look over my work? I wasn't able to transliterate everything mainly because I couldn't make out what the singer was saying in some portions of the song.

edit: forgot to add the name of the song, its "Ashita, Yuugure Made" by Round Table feat. Nino

soyo kaze no youni, yasashii kimochi
mamoritai kara, sotto
taisetsu na koto wo, oshite kureru
mizugiwa(shoreline?, beach) no machi itooshikute

setsunai hodo, atatakai nukumori no naka de
massugu __ wo mite, aruku no

ashita mo yuugure made
sasayaka no omoi tsumuideru no

soba ni iru dake de egao ni nareru
wakachi au koto tsutaetakute

ooki na sora, narande miageru hoshi tachi
egaita yume no hanashi kikasete

kore kara hitotsu hitotsu
yorokobi no kagi wo, meguri au hito ni
sunao na kokoro no mama kitto

todoketai kono basho kara

kisetsu ga kawaru koto, irodzuiteku koto
te ni yoru youni, kanjiteitai
ima wo kono toki wo

ashita no yuugure made
sasayaka no omoi, tsumuite agetai

dareka ga kureta hohoemi ga
shiawase wo, doko made mo, tsudzuite yuku

ashita mo
yuugure made

How are you supposed to look up Kanji in a dictionary when you can't even read the Kanji to begin with?

AzureDark
02-15-2010, 01:55 AM
Firstly why are you putting fullstops in some places? It's either one or the other...

>mizuki wa
水際 みずぎわ 'mizugiwa'
I get what you're trying to do here but the ring 'wa' is 輪 and 際 is 'kiwa'.

>itooshiku te
itooshikute (-kute form)
You got this one right in some other places actually.

>massugu __ o mite, aruku no
前 まえ mae
But look here, you put 'wo' in most other places so let's just stick to 'wo'.

>tsumuiteru
tsumuideru

>soba ni iru dakede
soba ni iru dake de (particle)

>yorikobi
yorokobi

>kisetsu ga kawaru koto, irozuite(?)ku koto
You put 'tsudzuite' down there so this should be 'irodzuiteku'.

>_ ni yoru youni
手 て 'te'
te ni toru youni

>sasayaka no omoi, __ite agetai
tsumuide agetai

>How are you supposed to look up Kanji in a dictionary when you can't even read the Kanji to begin with?
Kanji are ordered either by stroke count or radical. But I guess you need to learn how to draw the strokes for you to get the count...

Sometimes it's straightforward. Take 前 (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?162266_%C1%B0), from top to down, left to right 3+4+2 = 9 so you look it up under kanji with 9 strokes and have the main radical 刀 (its radical form is the two strokes at the top). Other times well... you'd have to get used to it.

cornjuliox
02-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Firstly why are you putting fullstops in some places? It's either one or the other...

What are fullstops? The underscores? Those are supposed to indicate the kanji I wasn't able to read/transliterate properly.

I've changed my work to reflect the stuff you pointed out.

edit: I should mention now that I can't actually read most of the kanji here, I'm transliterating by ear with the help of a dictionary. I'm hoping to pick up a few things as I go along.

AzureDark
02-15-2010, 05:04 AM
ashita mo yuugure made,
sasayaka no omoi tsumuideru no.

soba ni iru dake de, egao ni nareru
wakachi au koto, tsutaetakute.

Correct me if I'm blind, but there are fullstops there...

DorianBlack
02-15-2010, 05:42 AM
I think he meant that he doesn't know what full stops are. (It's another term for a period, like at the end of a sentence).

cornjuliox
02-15-2010, 06:00 AM
I think he meant that he doesn't know what full stops are. (It's another term for a period, like at the end of a sentence).

Yeah, thats what I meant. I did this in like, 15 minutes, while listening to the song so it's kind of rushed. The underscores represent the stuff I wasn't able to hear or transliterate correctly.