PDA

View Full Version : Endings: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

TheThunderBringer
02-14-2010, 04:55 PM
We all know that every show doesn't have a, you know, good ending. But of course, others do. What are some good and bad endings you've come across in shows?

As much as I liked Darker Than Black, I really didn't like how they ended the first season. They had a choice to end it in two very different ways, and chose to blend the two together forming a very cheesy mixture. I also didn't like the Gundam 00 ending.

But I thought Serial Experiments Lain had a great ending, despite the fact that I couldn't follow that shows at all.

Don't really want to make some boring list of every ending I've seen, so go ahead, POST.

EDIT: Good god, forgot to mention Devil May Cry. Worst ending I've ever seen in all my days.

SPOILER AHEAD

The entire show leads up to this huge fight between the main character and the bad guy. The bad guy literally fills the good guy with holes by having spikes impale him. He looks like he's dead, but claims to be "taking a nap" and proceeds to run towards the villain and, with a single swing of his sword, defeats him in around 8 seconds.

Diocletian
02-14-2010, 05:07 PM
I fell asleep when I was watching Devil May Cry. That last episode was so "what just happened".

Kare Kano is still to this day one of the worst endings simply because it doesn't end. Gainax is too busy making anime about kindergardeners and Gurren Lagann spin-offs to at least make a few OVA's.

Hajime no Ippo ends the first season off on the strongest foot ever. The character wins and get confidence. I think fans of the ending should skip Champion Road since it completely makes Ippo look like a complete wuss.

Forgotten Show
02-14-2010, 05:23 PM
A show with a bad ending implies it's a rarity instead of the norm. Good endings in general are very few and far between, especially in shows limited by time constraints. They're a little more common in books, but I've a bit of selection bias going for me there; I don't finish boring or crappy books to know the endings. Anime is no exception to this. As with books, I don't continue with series that drop off quickly or fail to catch me in the first couple episodes to know how their endings are. This is true for any kind of show, not just anime.

Good endings are a product complete stories - Cowboy Bebop, Gundam Wing and 08th MS Team (the latter being a little cliche and predictable, but still good), Kino's Journey, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, even Bamboo Blade (yes, I'll admit, I both watched and enjoyed the show...). I've never seen an "average" show blow me away with its ending. Canaan and El Cazador De La Bruja are examples of SOLID shows with a crappy ending (fortunately for El Cazador, you can just not watch the last episode and be perfectly happy with the show as a whole, whereas Canaan needs a wrap-up). A number of shows start great, but drop off quickly (Black Cat, Soul Eater, etc.).

Bad Memory

MangaFanGuy
02-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Good Endings
-Seirei No Moribito (As said above)
-Tengen Toppa Gurrenn Lagann which had an ending that was sad and yet it fit the story
-Desert Punk the ending was pretty fun and interesting
-RomeoxJuliet, yes you know how it should end but they did it well

Bad Endings
-Neon Genesis Evangelion (Note: not end of evangelion), the ending for the show itself was confusing and terrible, it needed the OVA to bring it back up
-Claymore, it just ends.....it probably left it open for a secod seasonbut until that hapens the ending is disappointing
-Trinity Blood, same as Claymore

J Gundam
02-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Gundam ZZ's ending was very poor. Considering how poorly the series started and how much better it got in the second half, I thought the ending would be pretty good but it turned out to very disappointing.

For an antagonist who had been present for a series and a half, Haman Karn seemed to be easily dispatched, the final battle was anti-climactic and everything just worked too perfectly.

The Butcher
02-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I hated NEEDLESS,and Outlaw Stars endings.

Both Animes were awesome though.

Käras
02-19-2010, 12:08 PM
LOL you should of made a thread that was about good endings, I don't see very many Anime's with "good" endings. Most of them just end, and some of the best shows are based off a Manga that isn't even out yet which makes it terrible and end in a bad way. Very Rarly do I finish a show thinking, Wow that ended well.90% of the time im cussing at how the ending ruined a good show...
I'm sitting here trying to think of a show with a good Ending, All I really got is Cowboy Bebop. Sad, but still a good ending none the less.

Doom85
02-19-2010, 03:13 PM
The good:

Cowboy Bebop; FMA; both Evangelion endings; FLCL; Gurren Lagann; Baccano; Gundam (original), 0080 and Seed; Azumanga Daioh; Code Geass; Noein; Paranoia Agent; Trigun

The bad:

DBZ

The ugly:

Gantz (stupid filler); Gundam Seed Destiny; DBGT

The rest are endings that are so-so, except for Texhnolyze, which I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand, Ran's prophecy didn't come true, since her flower was with Ichise at the end so he didn't die uncared for, but still a major downer ending. I was just emotionally drained at the end.

Käras
02-19-2010, 03:24 PM
The good:

Cowboy Bebop; FMA; both Evangelion endings; FLCL; Gurren Lagann; Baccano; Gundam (original), 0080 and Seed; Azumanga Daioh; Code Geass; Noein; Paranoia Agent; Trigun

The bad:

DBZ

The ugly:

Gantz (stupid filler); Gundam Seed Destiny; DBGT

The rest are endings that are so-so, except for Texhnolyze, which I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand, Ran's prophecy didn't come true, since her flower was with Ichise at the end so he didn't die uncared for, but still a major downer ending. I was just emotionally drained at the end.

LOL at Gantz. But I would agree about Code Geass. It did have a good ending. I mean, it really did END after all. Trigun seemed like there should be more. I think I need to watch Azumanga Daioh again, that show was just strange, so I don't remember how it ended lol.

Also, Has anyone ever watched a show that was about to end, and you thought to yourself, If it ended right here, it would be fine? Regadless of a good, or bad ending, just wondering if anyone felt that way?

Rolo Vi Britannia
02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
The Good: Blood Plus Saya and Haji both live, the twins don't get killed, and they extend Lulu's life.
Death Note Light had to die. And it was very sad when he did
Code Geass Perfect ending. Lelouch takes all the hatred of the world and....
Samurai 7 They saved the village
Cowboy Bebop

The Bad: Gundam 00 It wasn't that bad, but I hate how Tieria dies and Allelujah quits. Can't wait for the REAL ending. And what the heck? They never even confirmed that Ribbons was dead...
Higurashi(season one) Nothing really changed. Even though Keiichi remembered everything????
Now Then Here And There Okay, after all the good characters die, Shu goes home, to a place where no one liked him anyway...
.Hack//Sign, I can admit, if I hadn't played the game first, this ending would have sucked. I mean, Tsukasa wakes up, but they don't defeat Morganna....

The Ugly: Fullmetal Alchemist. Okay, Ed dies and Al brings him back. That would have been a great, unexpected ending. But Nooo. It can't end like that. So Ed stupidly tries to bring Al back, and he does. But he has no memory? Oh well, at least the ending was still decent, sort of predictable but WAIT, Ed's alive? He's just on the other side of the gate??? This would have been fixed by the sequel if it's ending wouldn't have sucked too. I mean, Ed goes back to his world, and then LEAVES???! Not only that, but Al does too? It's complete BS...

TheThunderBringer
02-19-2010, 03:57 PM
LOL you should of made a thread that was about good endings, I don't see very many Anime's with "good" endings. Most of them just end, and some of the best shows are based off a Manga that isn't even out yet which makes it terrible and end in a bad way

Umm...*pokes thread title and/or whatever I said in the OP*

The Butcher
02-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Good:
Gundam 00
Gundam Wing
Samurai Champloo

Bad:
Afro Samurai-overall the show was very good though.

Ugly:
NEEDLESS-sucky ending to a awesome Anime.
Outlaw Star-same reason

All I can think of right now.

daft
02-19-2010, 04:42 PM
I dunno, I actually like the way Outlaw Star ends... cheesy space/adventure anime ending.

-GAZKUL-
02-19-2010, 04:50 PM
as a few people have already said most animes dont have good or bad endings they usually just end. this is definately true, although i do think the Eyeshield 21 ending was pretty good as was the ending of The Last Airbender.

Doom85
02-19-2010, 07:48 PM
I dunno, I actually like the way Outlaw Star ends... cheesy space/adventure anime ending.

Well, I've heard some fans didn't know there was a post-credits scene. If they didn't watch that scene, I could certainly understand why they might not like the ending.

The Butcher
02-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Well, I've heard some fans didn't know there was a post-credits scene. If they didn't watch that scene, I could certainly understand why they might not like the ending.
Wait,what?

Doom85
02-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Wait,what?

In the post credits scene, Gene, Melfina, and Jim find Suzaku and Aisha back onboard the ship, since before the credits it was suggested that the two had left the crew. Needless to say, it was cool to have the whole gang back together for the end.

That's why people should always wait until after the credits. For example, in Betterman, Keita and Hinoki are revealed to be alive, which makes for a less depressing ending where only Shigure, Sakura, and the baby of Shou and Kaede were the only survivors.

ZenErik
02-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Bad: Fruits Basket ending.

Lily Rock
02-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Bleach has sad endings. O-O

Forgotten Show
03-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Bleach ends? Surely you jest. That's like saying Naruto ends.

Bad Memory

Lily Rock
03-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I forgot to say the movie's, i say it agian, my english = retarded...
I forget to add some words sometimes...

Forgotten Show
03-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Gotcha, makes more sense.

Bad Memory

wolfgirl90
03-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Hmmm...I guess I will list some and probably give some more later since my brain is fried for material.:p

Good Endings:

Code Geass:Lelouch dies and takes the hatred of the world with him. Great ending. Now if we get rid of those stupid "Lelouch is alive" theories. I mean, they would be more valid if the creators haven't stated that he was dead.
Gundam Wing:...Do I have to explain it? Seriously?
Cowboy Bebop
Gurren Lagaan

Bad Endings:

Sands of Destruction: The anime itself was pretty good. Not bad for an anime based off of a video game. However, the ending seems extremely rushed, with loose ends being tied as quickly as possible (with not all of them being tied). Also, while the issue of human-beastman relation is a central point of the series, it never delves into the history of Naja, who is actually half human/half beastman!
Suzuka: Hated the anime, hated the ending. The only thing good about the ending was I that I knew that the series was over.
Soul Eater: First I will say that I LOVE Soul Eater. However, the ending of the anime left A LOT to be desired and that final battle seemed a bit..too...deus ex machina.