PDA

View Full Version : [Movie] Full Metal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shambala

Jagan Eye
02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
~Warning: This review may contain spoilers from Full Metal Alchemist (TV Series.~

Anime: Full Metal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shambala

Type: Movie - 1 episode

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Historical, Shounen

Plot Synopsis:
The Conqueror of Shambala takes place in Munich, Germany, 2 years after Edward Elric had been taken from his world into the "real world". Edward no longer has his alchemy powers and has to live by the physics of the real world. He spends most of his time helping a man named Alphonse Heiderich, a man who is a striking resemblance of Alphonse Elric, Edward's brother that he left behind in the alchemy world. In the real world, Edward has been trying to find a way to get home and return to his friends and family while in the alchemy world, Alphonse Elric has been searching for a way to bring Edward back through alchemy. Both worlds are collided together and havoc is unleashed when some evil people from the real world discover a way to break into the the alchemy world.

Story: (8/10)
The story line of this movie follows and sticks with the story line of the TV series almost 100 % accurately. Also, historical events from the Post WWI era are represented in the movie. Hitler and the Nazi Party's failed attempt at the Munich Putsch takes place while Edward is in the real world and references to the Treaty of Versailles are shown as people are shown complaining about the government being taken over by communists. Standing alone from the TV series, the story line will seem confusing and many references to characters from the anime will not be understood. To fully enjoy this movie, I recommend that anyone should watch the TV series before watching the movie so that they can get a better feel for the connection between the brothers and experience the character developments through the TV series beforehand.

Character: (9/10)
The characters in this movie were excellent. Many of the characters from the alchemy world had a counterpart in the real world and vice-versa. To add historical significance to this movie, historical figures such as Adolf Hitler, silent film director, Fritz Lang, supposed clairvoyant Erik Jan Hanussan, and geopolitical professor, Karl Haushoffer were also involved in the story. Although some of the characters are given a lot less screen time than Edward, the creators did a good job in executing their appearances and integrating them into the story.

Art/ Animation: (10/10)
Beautiful, stunning, and great quality. The animation moved smoothly and was enhanced by the beautiful art and design of the characters and scenes.

Voice acting/ Music: (9/10)
The dubbed version that I saw had smooth voice dubbing and the music did a good job accenting the scenes in the movie.

Overall: (9/10)
This movie was a great adaption of the TV series and did an excellent job at showcasing the characters and giving them significance. The movie also did a good job at giving the TV series a satisfying conclusion and had both funny and tragic aspects in the story. The overall execution was done very nicely and I would recommend this movie to any Full Metal Alchemist lover.

algernonroy
04-06-2010, 03:55 AM
I loved the movie... it didn't have as much alchemy as some episodes in the series which was expected since the ''other world'' was included as a major part of it. The movie was created simply to end the series properly and set the stage for the second season. Taking that into consideration, I think the movie is not bad at all.
The graphics and art work are still as good to me if not better so thats another plus (we all know how irritating it is when art work changes between series and movie and some characters become hard to recognize). It has gotten me more wrapped up in what happens next. The thought of how alchemy will come back into play and who will bring it back definitly excites me. Also, there are a few missing characters which I am sure will be brought back in the second season (dante and the life sewing alchemist).

Franklyn
12-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Story: (10/10)
I loved the story and how it mixed in the world as we know it (Physics world) and the world Ed and Alfonse know it as (Alchemy world). It ventures in depth to compare and contrast the two worlds and how each one functions differently but how each one also has very very similar aspects in many areas. The actual plot of the story was catchy and knew just how much drama, action and sub plots to throw in that really made the movie interesting.

Character: (8/10)
I loved how they sprinkled in a few new characters that added drastically to the story and affected in a major manner but I think they maybe gave just a little to much focus to the old characters and left the also important new characters in the background as memorable but not significantly important to the movie for more than one or two different parts.

The art was stunning and impressive, Animation was smooth and took a realistic and believable form, No complaints.
The english dub was awesome and so was the original japanese version, I have absolutaly no complaints here. The music was good to but I guess they kind of stuck with the normal FMA TV series music style which slightly dissapointed me.

This movie was a great movie, had a good story, music, art and voice acting. It lacked a little in the characters but hey, nothing things perfect, I recommend this as a must watch!

Darkcobra
06-13-2011, 04:45 PM
i felt the movie was really well done and one great way to sort the finish, i was a bit dissapointed to see the ending but i wont shove spoilers in for others...
overall a good watch though

Story: (10/10)
as said i loved this story. the plot was well developed and deffinetly had the time and effort put in to make a good movie. it was good to see two worlds put together side by side in this style, but i loved how the germans was xD i thought it was really funny seeing the world we know (earth) shuttled next to invading the alchemy world they refer to as "Shamballa" xD it was really good

Character: (8/10)
I loved how they sprinkled in a few new characters that added drastically to the story and affected in a major manner but I think they maybe gave just a little to much focus to the old characters and left the also important new characters in the background as memorable but not significantly important to the movie for more than one or two different parts.

The visual was very nice, nothing looked cheap and im sure anyone could see they put detail to design here, one very nice look overall if you ask me

the music soundtrack as said above is a little simular to that of the anime but i suppose it went well. The voice acting was perfect on all floors, i watched both jap and eng versions both was a great watch, real good voice casts and they stuck with them of the seris keeping it nice and not stupid

As mentioned its well worth a watch, its a great movie with some great scenes, it fills the seris very nicely and if a must see for any FMA fans in the world