PDA

View Full Version : Portable Apps

niKopol
02-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Portable programs are convenient especially if you don't want to (or can't) install programs on a computer.

A USB drive or a portable hard drive is required.

What is everyone's thoughts on PortableApps (http://portableapps.com/)?

Eris
02-02-2010, 11:17 AM
PortableApps aren't really portable in the sense the word portability is conventionally used in computing, that is, the ability to run on different operating systems.

Seems they have just made small alterations to a bunch of open-source software and stuck it on an USB stick. Which isn't particularly portable at all. They should have written it in Java instead, and stuck a bunch of java VMs on the stick, that way they'd be able to run the code on basically any machine imaginable.

Alphabet
02-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I personally love Notepad ++, Gimp, and 7-zip. It's nice to save these on a usb instead of directly on the computer, because technically I don't have my own. Though it's only useful if you frequently use the programs, otherwise it's a waste of space.
ooshy ooshy ooshy

Eris
02-02-2010, 07:41 PM
A gotcha with letting stuff live on USB sticks is that they have a limited amount of writes they can perform before they fail. Which is why they're good for moving stuff around between computer, but should never be used as a storage medium on their own.

Aizmov
02-06-2010, 04:20 AM
When the flash usb stick die just get another one, they are dirt cheap nowadays.

Eris
02-06-2010, 08:42 AM
When the flash usb stick die just get another one, they are dirt cheap nowadays.

The problem is that it dies with all your files on it. The purpose of these portable apps, as I understand them, is that you can move all your programs and documents around on one stick, and make every computer like your own.

Well, when your stick fails, you can kiss "your own computer" goodbye.

Aizmov
02-06-2010, 08:48 PM
What rational person doesn't maintain a backup?

niKopol
02-07-2010, 02:11 AM
I use a portable hard drive. They tend to work faster/better than a flash USB stick.

As far as making every computer your own bit. The few apps that I do use help me maintain my sanity on slow work nights and so I can work on some projects on the go.

And the Java bit... I'd rather gouge my eyes out with super-heated steel rods than to even think of JVMs doing what the programs do. Java to me has always been slow and rather clunky.

Vyndrasta
02-07-2010, 02:54 AM

What rational person doesn't maintain a backup?

It is super cheap!

I was once that rational person that didn't even HAVE a backup for anything. I know, you're sitting there thinking how stupid I could have been back then.

._______.;'

Until I learned my lesson and just went on with it. Now, backups are a part of my daily get-go now.

Since Eris knows quite a lot, maybe a suggestion would be at ease for a newb like me. :help2: