PDA

View Full Version : Biggest game let-ups

NorthOfTime
02-01-2010, 10:49 AM
There is a thread about biggest game let downs... what about games that you thought went far and beyond your expectations?

So my biggest surprise was Dragon Age: Origins. I had no clue what i was getting myself into and was pleasently surprised by the game itself. I thought from previews and such that is was goign to be another run of the mill RPG trying to play off of FF or Oblivion... very happily it does not and it is the best game i have played in years... RPG wise.. I am very pleased with the money i spent on it.. even more pleased my copy came with the golem.. fun fun.

Ryuuzaki HD
02-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, got it as a wild card in a buy one get one free deal now it's one of my favorite game series ever (not including Apollo Justice).

Blue Dragon, I got it half price when I bought Lost Odyssey and I ended up enjoying it much more than Lost Odyssey.

poshyterra
02-02-2010, 02:45 PM
final fantasy tactics a2: grimoire of the rift. i was skeptical of a strategy/RPG and didn't know if i'd like it. turns out it's one of my favorite games of all time

my sims: kingdom was another one. i bought it for ten bucks at big lots and thought that it may be fun. i've dumped over fifteen hours of time into that game.

Bulf
02-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Probably Super Monkey Ball. I thought it was gonna be some crappy kiddy game, but it's actually quite amazing.

NorthOfTime
02-02-2010, 03:11 PM
final fantasy tactics a2: grimoire of the rift. i was skeptical of a strategy/RPG and didn't know if i'd like it. turns out it's one of my favorite games of all time

my sims: kingdom was another one. i bought it for ten bucks at big lots and thought that it may be fun. i've dumped over fifteen hours of time into that game.
The first FFT Advanced surprised the heck out of me too btw.. im not a huge FF fan and def not a huge fan of them making a big console game into a hand hel console game.. was very surprised at how much i liked it.. although for some reason i could never stay actually into it for more then a day or two.. lol. Punched out my comp cause i have an emulator and i screwed my self big time by taking all my armor off and stuff and going into battle with my qeakest members... on a boss battle none the less, and then saved.. yup the room was hot the ex wife was angering me and the game jsut kinda broke the camels back.. then i just kinda broke my screen :( 90$ mistake lol.

Skylar1
02-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Kind of an older game now, but Second Sight. It looked alright, and I only got it because of the special powers and stuff, but it turned out to actually be a really good game. The creepy music and well done voice acting along with the spooky story line made it quite the gem. I was expecting an average game, but I'd give it an 8.5/10 definitely!

brokenORCHID
02-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Fahrenheit for the ps2/xbox/pc.......
Rented it once thought it was gonna be nothing but it turned out to be my fav game up until a few days ago when I got ME2 now there's a game that doesn't disappoint on every level(Fahrenheit is Indigo Prophecy)

Vyndrasta
02-03-2010, 12:30 AM
World of Warcraft. I was there since launch around 2004. And each expac. came out, I was there for it too.

Now I officially became a Blizzard Programmer and co-GM (as in I am a trial status for Game Master until May 2010) in one battle group. That battle-group would be Emberstorm.

I honestly thought I wouldn't get snugged into MMO's, but I did. =/

And yes, us GM's get paid by Blizzard Entertainment. =)

Bun-chan
02-03-2010, 03:20 AM
After I played Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 which I really loved, my friend made me play FF7 because he said it was so great. I thought it was pretty good but not as good as he said it would be. Then I heard everyone talk about how FF7 was so much better than FF8 but I was really surprised by FF8, I think it is sooo much better than FF7.

I don't really play many video games so I don't really know anything else but the thing about FF8 really sticks out. :)

J Gundam
02-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Power Stone 2 really took me surprise. I thought I was buying a wacky fighter that I'd soon get bored of. I ended up played it for a long time and only stopped PS2 came out.

Raiden17
02-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Freedom Fighters for the PS2 - I'll admit that the shooting mechanics were god awful, and the camera angle was terrible, but what a plot-line! I loved that plot.

Portal - I was told it was good, but I had no idea it was that astonishingly fantastic

I agree with brokenORCHID: Fahrenheit is right up there with the greatest games ever created in my opinion (astonishing stuff for, as far as I remember, a relatively low key game... but my memory may be terrible.)

Canis Canem Edit (also known as Bully) - I know it's from Rockstar so I should already expect a great game, but truth be told I expected it to be OK, but a lot worse than any GTA. As it happens I prefer it to any GTA game and it's a game i regularly go back and replay.

Vintniv
02-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Assassin's Creed 2. I had some expectations, and it went pretty far beyond what I had originally thought was going to happen. I was quite satisfied with it.

Fionn Mac
02-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I agree with the original poster on Dragon Age going beyond my expectations and Mass Effect 2 though I knew it would be a great game has gone far beyond any game I've ever played.

Isamu Hajime
02-08-2010, 01:09 AM
id say the very first game that was a pleasant surprise was Xenogears, i wasn't expecting much from it but became very engaged with it. the Mass Effect series is also another game that kept me riveted. i just finished ME2 and im left wanting for more and am very much looking forward to ME3

Gjallarhorn
02-08-2010, 01:48 AM
So my biggest surprise was Dragon Age: Origins.

This.

I'm presently on my fourth play through, and I am not yet bored with it.

Well...I'm bored of Orzammar politics...

Eris
02-11-2010, 06:55 PM
There is a thread about biggest game let downs... what about games that you thought went far and beyond your expectations?

So my biggest surprise was Dragon Age: Origins. I had no clue what i was getting myself into and was pleasently surprised by the game itself. I thought from previews and such that is was goign to be another run of the mill RPG trying to play off of FF or Oblivion... very happily it does not and it is the best game i have played in years... RPG wise.. I am very pleased with the money i spent on it.. even more pleased my copy came with the golem.. fun fun.

Well, it's a classic BioWare RPG, in the spirit of the Baldur's Gate series. They are the unquestioned masters of RPGs. Dragon Age is a good example. You can almost feel the dungeon master twisting his mustache behind the scenes as you blunder straight into a trap without a clue in the world.

In the end, what makes their games so good is that they don't hold your hand. It's a merciless world, and unless you keep awake, if you're not dead, you're in for a world of pain. And you'll have nobody to blame but yourself for not seeing the appropriately subtle signs. On the other hand, this makes your victories all the greater. An epic battle that is easy isn't epic at all.

BioWare is the studio. Their games last 2-4 times longer than most other developers, and their level of quality has most other developers' games looking like the foolish handiwork of rank amateurs.

.... Enough ranting about BioWare. Dragon Age is made of awesome. Whoever casted Claudia Black as Morrigan and Steve Valentine as Alistair is a genius.

-Batman-
02-11-2010, 09:03 PM
.... Enough ranting about BioWare. Dragon Age is made of awesome. Whoever casted Claudia Black as Morrigan and Steve Valentine as Alistair is a genius.

Thiiiiisssss

And Eris entire post is why I've more or less given up on every other MMO past present and future untill TOR comes out.

Zetsubou-Billy
02-12-2010, 01:42 PM
LittleBigPlanet: for sure i thought it was going to be a kids game.Playing the hell out of that game all the time, and creating levels.

Dragon Age Origins:with RPG's its can be a gamble sometimes even though i love them so much. And it surprised me one of the best games I've every played.

Isaac.
02-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Letdown - Devil May Cry 2...lame
A surprisingly good game would be Godhand, a wacky unappreciated fighting game. Try it!

rf switch
02-16-2010, 01:56 AM
King of Fighters XII. The revamped High-Def graphics were looking great and KOFXI was a great game. My confidence in the Playmore era of SNK had never been higher. Then they release what essentially should have been a Beta.

Dragon Age met my expectations. They were high expectations though. I always really liked the Baldur's Gate games and this was just Bioware going old school. So old school in fact that they're releasing an expansion....not DLC...an expansion.

NorthOfTime
02-16-2010, 09:42 AM
New surprise for me..

MAG.. Oh my god this was a huge surprise.. i only bought it cause a buddy of mine vaguely told me "Its a time waster thats for sure" since i was looking to waste time i bought it lol. Man oh man, when it first started i was like, 'psshh another crappy kids game (the little Z loading icon thing is very deceiving) that was hoping to be cool like COD.. I look back now in shame because it turns out i like MAG more then COD. I dont know if its because of actualle game play or if its because strategy will win actually in MAG and not some noob with a newb-tube. Also the whole strategy thing has really weeded out most of the 12yr old british kids who like to talk smack, which is a huge thing for me lol. Gamespot did not give it amazing reviews or anything, but anyone that likes shooters should get this game. It was very worth the 60$.

RaShayRitto
02-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Damnation. I was look forward to this game up to its release, where it was then destroyed with tons of horrible reviews (metacritic average of 41 i think). Anyway just recently i decided to give the pc version a whirl to see for myself where the game went wrong.

Really...only the first level is horrible, then things get cool and fun and all that good stuff. sucks that so many people will never ever play it =(

devildemon
02-17-2010, 06:32 AM
kingdom hearts 1... back then i didn't know what rpg is, from then i can't stop playing rpg... and disgaea 2 at first i couldn't understand anything.... as i was playing more and more i fell in love with that game ;)

NorthOfTime
02-18-2010, 06:48 AM
RAWR! How dare you ruin thy thread! *facepalm* gurggle!

Back to topic..