PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a console for just one game?

Raiden17
01-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Probably already been covered and will get owned by moderator, but I cannot find it.

Would you buy a console for just one game?
For a long time I've always said that there has to be a good mix for me to buy a console, hence my not having a DS or PSP cos there aren't enough that I personally want to play.

But I really think, even if the PS3 had no other games, I would want it just for Metal Gear Solid 4.

So if you would buy a console for just one game, what games are there that you guys would buy a whole new console for?

warla_woo
01-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Well, i wouldnt buy a console for one game, but wait a few years until the price goes down. But we have practically everything here at the moment from the Commodore 64, spectrum zx, atari /old to new also gameboy series, gamecube, master system, mega drive, ds, psp, ps, ps2, ps3, xbox, 360, etc you get the drift lol...i blame my dad! ^_^

*Tsuki*
01-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Eh? No.
I'd buy it because people keep talking about games they have for it,
or I see it on sale.
Or it's near Christmas. =D
Or I'm bored.

Raiden17
01-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Or I'm bored.

By far the greatest reason!
*yawns* *purchases genesis on eBay* boredom alleviated

RenegadeC4v
01-29-2010, 09:13 PM
I already have. I bought a ps3 when MGS4 came out. If MGS4 never came out or if it were available on the 360, im pretty sure I would still be without a ps3 today.

Haoie
01-30-2010, 04:05 AM
No, and really, how long can you play 1 game.

MarbleCake
01-30-2010, 04:20 AM
Oh i did that once. I bought a DS to play pokemon pearl, then i got bored at the 5th gym and sold it.

Sr Machinehead
01-30-2010, 07:23 AM
I really can't say I have bought a system for one game. Now as for getting a system because it's christmas time or I'm bored I did that and still do that all the time. I would be without a ps3 if I had something better to buy or do.

Raiden17
01-30-2010, 09:30 AM
No, and really, how long can you play 1 game.

If you love MGS as much as I do, you'd be very surprised.
Especially with the online capabilities.

It's the same with Super Mario Bros. 3. I would never ever get tired of that game.

Buruku
01-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Depends on the game, I probably would.

-Batman-
01-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Pfft, I've gotten consoles just to have the console.

Hell, it was a good six months after I got my PS2 before I got a PS2 game.

First 360 game was oblivion, and I never touched another game untill Dead Rising came out months later.

I'm a gamer. I know every console will eventually have several games I want. So why not get them?

Gjallarhorn
01-30-2010, 02:05 PM
I bought a Wii, so...yes, apparently I am stupid enough to do so.

Ryth
01-30-2010, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't, but luckily it doesn't seem any such scenario exists for me.

Opinionated
01-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Eh... no game is worth $260(Guesstimating console price+game price) in my book. But, if I buy a console it's because it has more than one game I want, so yeah, no real issue here.

Inactive Account 0061
01-30-2010, 04:06 PM
I bought the Wii just so I could play Twilight Princess tbh xD

Khanxay
01-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Yes. Right now I want a PS3 for Star Ocean: The Last Hope, PSP for Star Ocean: First Departure and Star Ocean Second: Evolution, and a DSi XL for Pokemon: Soul Silver.

Also, Pokemon Silver > Pokemon Gold.

Raiden17
01-30-2010, 08:02 PM

Epic hilarity, I'm a big hater of the Wii, even though it's fun to play with people, I just have an utterly stupid aversion to motion sensing. I don't even know why, it makes no sense that I should hate it like I do.
I think it's cos I think it sacrifices game quality for the gimmick of being able to do cool stuff with your hand. Also, I like earning the way to control my character using buttons for each game. It's like learning a new mini-language.

Pfft, I've gotten consoles just to have the console.

Hell, it was a good six months after I got my PS2 before I got a PS2 game.

First 360 game was oblivion, and I never touched another game untill Dead Rising came out months later.

I'm a gamer. I know every console will eventually have several games I want. So why not get them?

Personally I don't get this, no offence intended, but I always wait a long time for consoles to come down in price. I refuse to pay their ultra-high list price, like a kind of personal protest. So why not get them? For me it's cos I can't afford it yet. But when I'm old and the consoles are cheap I will get everything I can get my hands on.

[/rambling]

Miss Moonlight
01-30-2010, 08:04 PM
It could be a good idea, if the console has many games you'd like to play and buy for it. Otherwise, it might not be worth it.

I would buy a wii just to have it, personally.

truthillusion
02-03-2010, 04:46 PM
I bought the PS3 just for Metal Gear.

Light Buster
02-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Maybe, depends how good the game is. Besides, if I buy a console, I'll buy other games for it.

Famahama
02-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Same here. Worst mistake ever D:
But I have to admit, I was quite amused by it for the first few weeks

Me and my brother splashed out on another PSP because of Monster Hunter.
Best thing we ever did.

poshyterra
02-03-2010, 06:03 PM
i bought a wii for twilight princess.
i bought a ds for nintendogs.
i bought a psp for kingdom hearts: birth by sleep.
i bought a ps2 for kingdom hearts.
i bought a 360 for fable 2.
and i'm about to buy a ps3 for heavy rain.

apparently, yes. granted, i bought other games that were interesting but that was later on. i bought the consoles/hand helds for one game at the time and then branched out...

RaShayRitto
02-03-2010, 09:01 PM
i dont think you really need to worry. Ps3 has many games aside from MGS4, many BETTER games (dont hate me, i'm an MGS nut too). Not to mention cross platform games that you might prefer on that system for whatever reasons.

Buruku
02-04-2010, 09:42 AM

Exactly.

Nanobyte
02-04-2010, 10:00 AM
well, actually i can't really tell, becouse i don't relly like games, and i never have to worry about spending money... but if i were you i wouldn't buy a console for just one game, i'd just buy it with the game, and ask more games for your B-Day, christmas and other events, or just save up for some :laugh:

Shida12
02-08-2010, 02:20 AM
Nah unless I wouldnt buy a system for just a game I prefer to buy the system to have it XD

Brojasu
02-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Of course, I've done it before

Spooky
02-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Of course, I've done it before

Same here. I bought the play station 3 just for the game Uncharted 2: Among thieves.

Isaac.
02-16-2010, 03:15 PM
I thought the same way, why spend so much for one game? But then I bought a PS3 for MGS4. It is not just a game, but an experience. Not getting it is really missing out. Since then, I got COD5 for PS3 but everything else I buy for 360. It was worth it though.
So, buying a console for a game you REALLY want to play is (relatively) worth it.

rf switch
02-16-2010, 03:23 PM
For the most part I re-bought an N64 just for Ogre Battle 64.

A N64 and Ogre Battle 64 was cheaper than one new Neo-Geo AES game...

Raiden17
02-16-2010, 03:26 PM
You guys are all pretty excellent at this.
I started the thread mostly out of interest, but sincethen i got a job and have the money to buy a PS3 which I'm gonna do shortly.
So giving advice has actually helped tons.

But as it turns out I no longer see a reason for me to consider a 360. PS3 has Bioshock 1 & 2, as well as GOTY Edition of Oblivion. Gears of War is not a biggy for me (Killzone is a fine replacement in my view). So I'm no longer just buying a PS3 for MGS4. Though I still think that game is a perfectly valid reason to spend a fudgeton of money.

Isaac.
02-16-2010, 03:30 PM
A lot of older 360 only games are coming to PS3 (mostly RPGs I believe), if that makes you feel better about spending money for that PS3. Hope you enjoy it. :)

rf switch
02-16-2010, 03:47 PM
You guys are all pretty excellent at this.
I started the thread mostly out of interest, but sincethen i got a job and have the money to buy a PS3 which I'm gonna do shortly.
So giving advice has actually helped tons.

But as it turns out I no longer see a reason for me to consider a 360. PS3 has Bioshock 1 & 2, as well as GOTY Edition of Oblivion. Gears of War is not a biggy for me (Killzone is a fine replacement in my view). So I'm no longer just buying a PS3 for MGS4. Though I still think that game is a perfectly valid reason to spend a fudgeton of money.
I'd still find a way to get a 360 but thats just me. There's got to be other exclusives than just Gears of War that are worth owning on the system.

Raiden17
02-16-2010, 03:52 PM
I'd still find a way to get a 360 but thats just me. There's got to be other exclusives than just Gears of War that are worth owning on the system.

I think that too, but I really cannot think of any that I actually want.
It's the same with the Wii. Sure I'd like to play Super Mario Galaxy, but do I want a Wii for it? Am I really gonna like it better than Super Mario Bros. 3?

rf switch
02-16-2010, 03:57 PM
You might like Galaxy more than Super Mario 3...The Wii still has some interesting games that are Wii only. You just have to look past all the crap shovelware that the system is plagued with.

makkuro kiba
02-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Depending on the game, I might. I have all the major game systems but a PS3 and PSP, I don't like PSP because I can't control things on there well, and it frustrates me. My step-brother has one though.

I'm not a big fan of the Wii, it gets old fast. I barely ever play it anymore. I do play my PS2 and xBox 360 all the time though. I'll try and get a PS3, and there are some games for it I'm really wanting to play, but I'm not rushing for it.

-P.N.-
02-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Hmmm this may sound dumb, but for a While I was thinking of buying a xbox360 just for the DOAX game haha... Now i am owning an PS3 tho lol .. no xbox for meh o.O

daft
02-16-2010, 11:09 PM
I've always wanted a Sega Dreamcast, but never got around to owning one. I'd buy one just to be able to play Project Justice. I've only played it in the arcade, and it's an awesome 3D fighting game, probably one of my favorites.

devildemon
02-17-2010, 06:16 AM
mostly you buy a console for one game... i bought ps3 for ff13 and disgaea

knives1019
03-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I am thinking about doing it for Disgaea 3 for the PS3

Hollow Lelouch
03-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Yes. Right now I want a PS3 for Star Ocean: The Last Hope, PSP for Star Ocean: First Departure and Star Ocean Second: Evolution, and a DSi XL for Pokemon: Soul Silver.

Also, Pokemon Silver > Pokemon Gold.

I should warn you about The psp star oceans. They seem to have... dumbed them down a bit.

Also, I did consider buying a 360 for Halo 3 and Mass effect. Didn't do it, though.

Nineteenth
03-17-2010, 07:55 AM
I did and I regret it each time.

I bought a gamecube for the Resident Evils. 4 came to the PS2 and 0 was garbage.

I bought a GBA for Advanced Wars 2. All I own are that and Megaman BattleNetwork 2.

I bought a 360 for Dead Rising, the only other exclusives it has are Foraeza, Gears, Halo and Fable.Everything else is either a shooter or a generic PC game ported to the 360.
I listened to my friends and got one and now I'm wondering why the hell I did it.

Araragi
03-17-2010, 09:08 AM
yep i did it... i bought a psp just for FF Dissidia.... then came Monster Hunter FU and FF Crisis Core.... then tekken dark ressurection, soul calibur, Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles... and the last one FF Tatctics: War of the Lions ...

and nope.. i dont regret a thing, there are more awesome games to come

-GAZKUL-
03-17-2010, 02:23 PM
im not really much of a gamer anymore so i probably wouldnt but there are games that i have got like years ago and am still playing:rant:

IFS
03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm consider doing it just for Final Fantasy XIII

Hanamaru Kunikida
03-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Depends on the game and console.

Knight Marcus Flint
03-17-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm getting a PS3 for God of War III and a Wii for Metroid Prime Trilogy.

MissChelly
03-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Yup. Wii for Legend of Zelda's Twilight Princess. I'm a huge Zelda fan so... XD
And actually, I don't regret buying the Wii at all... I love talking smack to friends while making their karts go into hot, hot lava on Mario Kart, bwahahahahahaaaaa... *cackle cackle cackle* (insert Dry Bones' little bone shake noise here)

Knight Marcus Flint
03-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Hey Chelly did you know there's going to be a second Legend of Zelda???? It's going to be after Twilight Princess. ;)

Oh and Issac, is you profile pic and name from Golden Sun? If so, that's awesome.